Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who is this?, A quiz for you all!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 02:46

Now Ugo are you trying to get me to admit My wife and I are massive Duran Duran fans well its no BIG THING.

Lake Shore Driving. Duran Duran- Big Thing,
Got it Love it.

Listen to this, Still Breathing from their Album "Astronaut" .
It has a "All I Want is You" ending probably imo their best 1:30 mins of music (Well Nick Rhodes anyway) .
Still Breathing- DD
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 18:55

Congrats, Cameron - you got it. I didn't suspect you & your old lady were such big DD fans. The track I posted is really unknown to non-fans or to people who know DD just for "Planet Earth", "Rio" and "The Wild Boys". :D I agree with you on Astronaut and "Still Breathing", I love that song. To me, Astronaut is their first album since 7 & the Ragged Tiger to stand up on its own feet from beginning to end. All the other ones in the middle are good, but all of them have (IMHO) some very weak points which prevent them from being good albums all the way through. And of course Red Carpet Massacre, always IMHO, is absolutely horrible. Timbaland was chosen because he was hip, and the funniest thing is that he actually is hip, but I think that the result of  his pairing with DD was nothing but pure crap.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 21:09

DD were a band I mentally filed away with bands like Simple Minds - great musicians crap singers.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 21:13

Yes, I simply couldn't stomach the vocals of Simple Minds or DD.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2010, 18:01

@ Daniel/Nightspore & Andy: what are you talking about? One of my reasons for appreciating DD was exactly Simon LeBon's vocals, which have notably improved over time!! :D Talk Talk were great musicians (and writers) with a horrible singer. Always IMHO, of course. :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2010, 03:38

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 07 2010, 08:01)
@ Daniel/Nightspore & Andy: what are you talking about? One of my reasons for appreciating DD was exactly Simon LeBon's vocals, which have notably improved over time!! :D Talk Talk were great musicians (and writers) with a horrible singer. Always IMHO, of course. :p

Yes they sure got better and 2 years ago they were voted one of the best live acts of the year ,maybe your right Ugo "Everybody here hates Pop".

Red Carpet was a massacre it was also all Andy Taylor could take
and left (again).

The Dvd of the Astronaut /Best Hits tour is superb and showcases a band firing on all guns and at the top of their game.

Duran Duran still going, Simon LeBon a effortless frontman.
Aging dinosaurs with a New Romantic payload, I think not.:)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2010, 08:59

Quote (milamber @ Oct. 07 2010, 09:38)
The Dvd of the Astronaut /Best Hits tour is superb and showcases a band firing on all guns and at the top of their game.

Excuse me, what DVD are you referring to? Maybe "Live from London"? This one? If this is the case, I agree with you. (Among many nice things, that DVD features an extremely cool Japanese-style cartoon video for "Careless Memories".) As far as I know, that this is the only DVD which features songs from Astronaut. Is there another one?

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2010, 06:12

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 07 2010, 22:59)
Quote (milamber @ Oct. 07 2010, 09:38)

Excuse me, what DVD are you referring to? Maybe "Live from London"? This one? If this is the case, I agree with you. (Among many nice things, that DVD features an extremely cool Japanese-style cartoon video for "Careless Memories".) As far as I know, that this is the only DVD which features songs from Astronaut. Is there another one?

Sorry late Reply : Yes thats the One, just brilliant  :)

An all new mystery.
Mystery Song 5
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2010, 07:27

Quote (milamber @ Oct. 28 2010, 06:12)
An all new mystery.
Mystery Song 5

Probably the flip side to some Enigma single...
But the mood reminded me of Gorecki's famous third symphony.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2010, 18:24

@ Milamber: Of course I have no idea. It sounds like Shpongle + Blackmore's Night, and it's very obviously neither of them. :D It's not Enigma - I've got all of the Enigma albums; their only B-side ever was "Light of Your Smile" and that's not it. And however the voice sounds artificial - Enigma often used sampled voices but never artificial ones. Also, the very final note is very Wind Chimes Part 1 :), but this is very obviously not Mike O.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 03:02

Here is a clue : Umberto Eco :)

Light of my smile ,not a bad B side .
From the beyond the invisible single if I remember rightly .
My faves being I love you, I'll kill you and Morphing through time.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 05:31

@ Milamber: maybe it's something from "The Name of the Rose" soundtrack? It's one of the few STs that I don't have. :)

I'm glad you like "Light of Your Smile", I like it a lot as well. However, my fav Enigma albums are the first 3, before he changed his style quite radically with Voyageur.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 19:21

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 29 2010, 19:31)
@ Milamber: maybe it's something from "The Name of the Rose" soundtrack? It's one of the few STs that I don't have. :)

I'm glad you like "Light of Your Smile", I like it a lot as well. However, my fav Enigma albums are the first 3, before he changed his style quite radically with Voyageur.

Correct . End Tittles,The Name of the Rose-James Horner.
I have the album , it was hard to track down.
PM me if you want it :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 07:34

Seeing that this is more or less becoming a twin-headed game with me and Milamber, I take my turn now:

Mystery 7

Clues:

1. This was downloaded from a band's official website and it is not to be found elsewhere. It's not Enigma! :D
2. It doesn't sound like the band it is associated with, and it's probably not performed by them.
3. It's supposed to be an intro to a completely different song. The original file was titled "Live Intro", but it's probably not a live recording at all.
4. It was used by that band during their live shows, so if you've never been to a live show of theirs or you've never visited their official website, you've never heard this. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 18:09

Sounds very "vangelis-ish", precise drums/sound splash, but not quite his sound palette. But still vaguely like I recognise it.

So it was a taped piece of music played before "A Bands" live shows?

Need more clues please

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 18:35

Quote (olracUK @ Nov. 15 2010, 00:09)
So it was a taped piece of music played before "A Bands" live shows?

Need more clues please

Not exactly. It was played during a band's live shows (presumably from a tape, yes) before a particular song. Indeed the full name of the file is "??? (Live Intro)", where ??? is the title of the song it preceded. [I'm not specifying how many words are in the title of that song. :)] If you have a feeling you recognize it, you've probably been to one of those live shows.

An important clue is the second one above: this short piece does not sound at all like any other stuff by the same band, and this is why I think it's not performed by them.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2010, 19:18

I guess Yes.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 01:00

As the tree said to the Lumberjack.
I'm Stumped??????

At the start after a few seconds I expected to hear Richard Burton say "For three days I fought my way along roads packed with refugees " :laugh:

Has an early  O.M.D sound.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 07:24

@ Nightspore: No. :D

@ Milamber: ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha... :laugh: congrats for the wordplay, you're a genius. Yes, it sounds very "soundscape-ish" and very Eighties, but it's from 2009. November 2009, to be precise.

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 17:04

Nearly ready to give up Ugo. Lots of youtubing and I'm leaning in teh direction of Faithless.

Problem was I kept getting distracted by Muse videos.

--------------
Profile PM 
177 replies since Sep. 18 2010, 15:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net