Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who is Mr. Shame??, It that Richard Branson????< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2004, 12:51

The last time I heard 'Mr. Shame' I was travelling, and some curious thoughts came to my mind. For the first time came to my mind the idea: Mr. Shame has to be undoubtedly Richard Branson.

Mike speaks in an indulgent way, and encourages somebody to "get down to the river of love, don't hesitate." Anyway, he doesn't mind to go to major words, like "Are you a victim of that money bug??" accusing more directly whoever to be a materialistic shallow person.

It's completely a song of advice with -almost- a peaceful feeling, in which Mike seems to encourage somebody not to be ruled by ambition and the greed of material things, but go to the deep source inside. It's beautiful the way he tries to connect with that person at the beginning, saying "I know you're out there, Mr. Shame - I'm calling your name, Mr. Shame". In a way I find it kind of a try to approach to a person with which obviously the friendship relation had been split up at that time. Or maybe the last try to communicate with that person in order to help change his life.

I find interesting as well the lines "there's no mean device or key to paradise to the river" "No price you can pay to help you find your way". He tries somebody to understand that no monetary wealth can lead us to a better spiritual state, it's just a matter of the inside. I just hadn't found out about how deep the lyrics were, and it's interesting either it's dedicated to Mr. Branson or not. But if it's true, now we know not everything was this "F**K *FF RB" from Amarok the last bit Mike dedicated to his boss.

I find it a real surprising "discovery".  :cool:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2004, 01:13

Discovery
Who has the chance to know it all
Discovery
Give me some truth, stop making me crawl

Well, I've always though so. Btw, I also think that Discovery is full of messages to Mr. Branson...

How can you sleep
How can you turn away
Thinking so cheap
Some day you're gonna pay
You're keeping secrets
Telling me lies
Can anyone tell me why the big surprise

Doesn't it sound like that? ;-)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2004, 09:20

What I know is Saved By The Bell is another "message" from Mike to RB.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Michael the Dark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2004, 15:46

and of course the morse code  :)     as well the legendary "fuck off" at the end of "heavens open" album.

--------------
Some fall like the snow
Too much too slow
Profile PM 
The Lake
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 03:51

The Morse Code you mean, "Fuck Off RB", is on Amarok, not on the Heaven's Open Album.
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 05:47

No, there is actually a "f**k off" whispered at the end of Music from the Balcony. I haven't listened out for it myself, but I have it on good authority that it is there.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 07:11

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 06 2004, 05:47)
No, there is actually a "f**k off" whispered at the end of Music from the Balcony. I haven't listened out for it myself, but I have it on good authority that it is there.

It is. I heard it on headphones one day. I pumped up the volume at the very end of the piece, and it's there. If it isn't "fuck off", it's something very, very close... maybe "cranberry sauce", or "I buried Paul"? :D But nah, I doubt it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 07:34

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better get your 'Strawberry Fields' single off the player and make sure you put 'Music from the Balcony' after it!!! ;)   ;)  :p  :laugh:

John Lennon is connected with Mike cos Mike once said unconcously 'Moonlight Shadow' is about John Lennon's death.

Anyway, when Richard Branson bought 'Apple' Paul McCartney wanted the royalties for 'Tubular Bells', but at that time Mike was recording 'Incantations'. So George Harrison played a few guitar lines  on side one and they became friends again. Brian Epstein was a big fan of Mike Oldfield and once he said 'Tubular Bells' was the best record ever. Richard Branson owns the rights of 'Get Back' and Ringo Starr can fly in Air France for free. That was the beginning of the long relationship between Mike Oldfield and the Beatles, but I'd like to kno more.  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 11:39

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 06 2004, 07:34)
John Lennon is connected with Mike cos Mike once said unconcously 'Moonlight Shadow' is about John Lennon's death.

Mike was talking in his sleep?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 13:47

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 06 2004, 13:34)

He said: "Not really... well, perhaps, when I look back on it, maybe it was." I suppose he would have said the same for any happening around him in that year. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2004, 12:45

Anyway, I'm pretty curious about it. Does anybody else think Richard Branson could be Mr. Shame??

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2004, 14:22

Sometimes, songs like this are introspective ("contemplating of one's own thoughts, feelings, and sensations; self-examination"). rather than being about others. Perhaps MO was being rather self-critical in writing these lyrics, including referring to a time when he thought he was "a victim of that money bug".

However, I don't actually have the opinion that it is about a particular individual. Other "Heaven's Open" tracks like "No Dream" certainly don't seem to be....unless someone wants to make a case that Richard Branson was window-peeping at Oldfield's house one night!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 14 2004, 07:24

Actually, I was pretty sure that "Mr. Shame" is Branson since the beginning. The whole album is a nasty jab at Virgin, and it makes sense that Branson gets the spotlight at some moment!

No Dream is definitely about himself, though. It's littered with self-references, and the "face in the window" brings back the cover from Ommadawn.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 14 2004, 11:33

Waw!!!! I didn't know that one... so could that be a reference of Ommadawn then?? Yeah, something about his identity, as Ommadawn is in a way kind of a self-portrait, graphically and musically. So I'm finding out more and more that 'Heaven's Open' is not a bunch of some quickly-done shallow songs, but they're very meaningful and sincere tho.
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 14:58

I never noticed the "fuckoff" at the end of Music From the Balcony.

Here it is, hugely amplified:

http://www.odensjo.com/fuckoff.mp3

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 11:05

:O Couldn't hear anything.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 12:52

Well it's been two years. But just for you I put it up again at my new domain;

Enjoy! Blink and you'll miss it. Someone's also caughing in the background.

http://www.odensjorecordings.com/fuckoff.mp3

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 14:19

I think No Dream is a very personal song for mike, the lyrics seem to relate to him in every sense, i also think that the fact Mike sang all the songs himself shows he wanted to vent his anger, and i think Heavens Open is a great album, if you listen to it in the context it was written for.

Mr Shame is soooo about RB it's not funny! lol i can understand the fury of mike considering the pressure he was put under to write albums, and the very poor percentage he was paid for a long time, I know that Branson has made a massive empire, but the fact remains it would have taken him a lot longer without the amazing record that is Tubular Bells, it brought the Vigin brand name to the masses and as far as i can tell, mike was overlooked in its succses, financally anyway.

AFAIK they are friends again now, but the fact remains that mike seems to be quite a timid person, and to be so upfront with how he feels would indicate that he was IMMENSLY pis*ed off! lol  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 19:51

Amazing document!!! Thanx for it mate, it is really unvelivable although hidden details like that exist in all kinds of musicians and albums. Thanks again for generously taking your time and placing the file there, I will keep it as a small Mike relic!!

Well, as we all know, endings are just beg... no, sorry, I was gonna say something else. As we all know, Mike's a nice guy and so he forgave Branson and even got to joke about being happy that he saw him soaking wet in the crowd when Mike was playing 'Man in the Rain' in the TB3 premiere!!!

'Heaven's Open' is an evident felt and honest album and, although I consider it maybe the weakest album, I think you have to understand the soulwise srought he was feeling after all the effort in the past years.

I think there can be no better doorstep to an undisputed masterpiece like 'Tubular bells 2' than erratic, chaotic and weary sounding 'Heaven's Open', like a breath holding gap of disorder that lead to a masterly beautiful, worthy part 2 of 'Opus 1'.

--------------
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2010, 14:57

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 06 2004, 07:34)
Brian Epstein was a big fan of Mike Oldfield and once he said 'Tubular Bells' was the best record ever.

Somehow I don't think this is right; Brian Epstein died in 1967, TB came out in 1973 ;)
Profile PM 
20 replies since Sep. 04 2004, 12:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net