Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who did Incantations part 3 Solo?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 21:03

I have a wonderful "fan cover" track that I downloaded, probably here, quite a while ago. It is an mp3, but the creator of it did not bother to put any identifying information in the properties. Does anyone want to own up to this wonderful work?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 14:01

I think that was probably Tommes.
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 08 2005, 10:05

I recall tomes as well
I remember suggesting that it was not a genuin guitar playing but sufisticating sampling. I still find it suspicious when I listen to it, but I hope I wouldnt be attacked again for that exceptional opinion
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 08 2005, 10:11

There's no way that any sampled guitar can sound like a real guitar. You can tell the difference right away. It's about the pitch and the distortion. A sampled guitar just can't do that. None that I've come across, anyway.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2005, 10:20

I recall that in my listenings that he had re-created, note per note, this section. However, I thought the notes did not sound exactly the same (some starts and ends being a little different), which made me think it was a guitarist playing Mike's guitar line note for note.

Let's see what someone who is less cloth-eared than myself says.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 03:12

well, it was indeed long time ago
I believe my hearing skills have improved since
I just wish i could put my hands on this track again and make a second opinion. is it still downloadable?
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 03:22

tommes - incantations part 3

I Listened again
The guitar sound is still rather suspicious to my ears, and so is the remark "very easy to play" which I think connected to a previous post regarding incantations part II begining solo I had made. But im not sure anymore :)

I dont know, the track all sounds quite clear sounded, everything works right except the guitar solo which sounds as if it comes from a different old tape or something

You have to be crazy to sample the guitar from the original track and then plant note by note
but on the other hand, if you play this track so well, u get a sound so accurate, wouldnt u make an effort for the recording sound to sound less susipcious and more up front?

sorry guys
sorry tommes
This track's recording process remains a mystery to me.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 07:52

Quote (Yuval @ Mar. 09 2005, 09:22)
sorry guys
sorry tommes
This track's recording process remains a mystery to me.

does it really matter?
it's a good track :P that's what counts...at least IMHO :P

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 08:01

Booster you are right
It doesnt matter.
definitely not now :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 09:20

Well, this is something that a few of us discussed privately at the time that track was released, and which we decided to keep private. However, before everyone springs on Yuval a second time, I think it's about time to make my verdict known...

It's my belief that the guitar was digitally speeded up. The sign of that is the 'warbling' quality which the playing has, which comes both from the vibrato being speeded up, and from artefacts of the time compression process. I can think of no other explanation for why it would sound like that. I have a feeling he probably did it as a joke...

I'm not the only one who felt that this technique had been used. My apologies to Tommes if I'm wrong, though.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Jan. 31 2005, 21:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net