Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Which version should I buy?, Incantations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2015, 09:02

From what I've read the Deluxe edition is not too good, and I noticed it doesn't contain the original mix (which I always like to have). I don't mind buying two copies, but I'm a little confused as to which release has the original: I assume anything dated before the Deluxe edition?

Help!!!

(as an aside, I will probably collect all the various versions of all his albums, after hearing the Hergest Ridge Boxed mix, which is my favourite. It seems to be worthwhile checking out every different version)

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2015, 12:32

Yeah, anything before the 2011 reissue will do. Be careful however if you buy a second-hand CD. Due to space limitations, some early pressings contained a shortened version of Part 3. Part 3 should run 16:58. As for the deluxe edition, it's actually quite good. Has lots of extra material.
Profile PM 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2015, 23:19

I'm sorry but I disagree. I own an old Incantations CD from the 80's and also the 2011 3 discs Deluxe Edition and there are no differences between their mixes.

Both releases contain the same original 1978 mix being the 2011 one only remastered tho I couldn't spot any single difference between both so far except for the glitch on the part 4 of the remaster. This glitch on the remaster is a little cut in the rhythm caused by the bad conservation of the original tapes. I read it was modified on later presses of the Deluxe Edition later on but the anomaly is still there even in the one I bought last year or the copies available for streaming.

Glitch aside I think the 2011 version is definitely worth to buy only because of the lovely extra material that gives a new dimension to the world of Incantations through the new mixes and tracks. So if you wanna give the 2011 remaster a try before buying here you have a links to both Apple Music and Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/00WhuSWKOMH2HOivzl99sO

https://itun.es/es/aT6QA
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2015, 02:57

Thanks for the advice. I will give them a listen online first.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
Rob Alias Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2015, 03:38

I would suggest that, if possible, it is worth taking the time to find an original vinyl double album if you still use a turntable. Otherwise I don't think that there is enough of interest on the 'Deluxe' edition to warrant interest - the various remixes of the 'Diana' song from Part One are fairly predictable and indicative of Mike's approach to such things generally. I don't think he has ever been adept at grasping the aesthetic and practicalities of a true remix.

Rob Alias
:)
Profile PM 
4 replies since Aug. 01 2015, 09:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net