Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Which version of Heaven's Open is this ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 06:21

It`s just suddenly dawned on me,that my previous post is probably one of the worst "claims to fame" ever... "I Sort Of Knew Neil Tennant`s Stalker" SHOCK..HORROR.. A News Of The World EXCLUSIVE.. A spokesman for Mr Tennant was reported to have said "What have I,..What Have I,..What Have I Done To Deserve This" ?   :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 19:16

@ Dirk: if your friend's sister (and Neil Tennant) lived in Italy, she'd probably be in jail by now. :D Stalking is a criminal offence here (it's become one recently), which may be punished by jailing from one month up to three years, and even longer if it's particularily serious. And it's not limited to follow someone wherever they go: if you phone someone in the middle of the go and then you hang up as soon as they answer, that's stalking. I never really thought of that...

Back on topic: Virgin (or whoever) may have intended the "Heaven's Open" single to be different from the album version - they may've even asked Mike to play some extra guitar - not in order to grab casual fans, but to make longtime fans buy the single (exactly like PSB always do), otherwise I don't think there would've been any point in releasing the single at all. Mike is not a "singles" act, he's never been one - not even with a very poppy album like Earth Moving. Releasing "Innocent" as a single is IMHO one of the worst commercial moves that Virgin may ever have done, although there's an excellent 12'' remix on that maxi-CD... the fact that the remixer's (or producer's) name is spelt very wrongly on the label may show, I think, how much they cared about that single, and about the remix. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2010, 03:32

Yeah just to wrap up the stalking thing.I must admit every time I hear The Pet Shop Boys now I often wonder what became of her.My friend was a pretty good natured friendly guy you know,as were his family for that matter.But with regards to his sister they just did`nt know what to do at all.Rather sadly they almost kind of dis-owned her really,when she quite obviously needed some kind of urgent help.The Italian law actauly sounds like quite a good thing to me as it would possibly "nip it all in the bud" before it had a chance to go anywhere.That said,whatever the initial problem was could always kind of manifest in different ways I guess.But I still think it`s better than doing nothing,or worse still,leaving it too late.

Anyway way o/t, I apologise.. I do agree with you Ugo that Mike wasn`t really a singles artist,for all he did make some good ones here and there.Heaven`s Open was certainly up there with the best of them for me.But because it was in that sort of AOR/friendly style that many of Mike`s songs were of course.It probably came out about 5/6 years too late for it to be a major hit.Certainly that was the case in this country anyway.I`d guess Virgin were probably aware of that and as a consequnece maybe did try a little bit (in their own way),to get it into the charts.I don`t think it got much airplay though,although I could be wrong.The only time I heard it on the radio over here was when Mike Read played it,who usualy had better taste than most.But back then Read was kind of the stand-in guy,you know you`d only ever hear him when somebody was on holiday or something.Imo though had it come out around the mid 80`s or something it very well could`ve been a big hit for him.I dare say they (Virgin) might`ve even left it alone.  ;)

It`s all pure specualtion though and it`s no doubt just as likely Mike decided to add the extra guitar parts himself.If Heaven`s Open had been a big hit though,do you think Mike might`ve changed his mind and signed a new contract?   :p
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 06:52

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 23 2010, 19:16)
Back on topic: Virgin (or whoever) may have intended the "Heaven's Open" single to be different from the album version - they may've even asked Mike to play some extra guitar - not in order to grab casual fans, but to make longtime fans buy the single (exactly like PSB always do), otherwise I don't think there would've been any point in releasing the single at all.

They must have been fairly confident of some single sales as they clearly spent a few quid on that video. Not a record breaking amount but they could have just hired some session players, whacked Mike on a stage and filmed that for the video.

The look of the video coupled with the sound of the single version makes me think they were hoping they might be able to launch him in the US as a rock singer in the vein of, say, Steve Winwood.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
23 replies since Dec. 15 2008, 14:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net