[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Which version of Heaven's Open is this ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MikeAholic Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 15 2008, 14:39

Hi,
I just found this version of heaven's open used in the Guitar Hero game.

Heaven's Open in guitar hero

This is definitely different from the one on the Heaven's Open cd.
Can anyone tell me from which CD this  is ?

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2008, 15:31

It sounds identical to the video mix.  It was used as the actual single version, too.

I always thought the guitar lines on this version are more appealing than the album version.  On the other hand, I never cared much for the way the lead-in to the chorus was excised just to repeat the "heaven's open" phrase.

As far as I know it was never on an actual CD, except maybe the CD single.  I could be wrong.  Regardless, it's all over the net anyway.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2008, 18:17

Quote (Bassman @ Dec. 15 2008, 21:31)
I always thought the guitar lines on this version are more appealing than the album version.

I definitely agree. During the chorus, the main guitars play a counter-melody line (da-da-da-da-da-de-dum, de-doo, de-dum... etc. :D) that's kind-of obscured (if I remember correctly) on the album version. However, I don't like the fact that whoever mixed/edited the single (Mike himself?) removed completely the angry guitar solo on the album version. It was very short, but IMHO really beautiful and very much to-the-point, and it's a shame that it's been taken away from an otherwise perfect mix.

There actually was a CD single of HO (the song) - I've got it - on which this mix is featured, but now it's out of print. If you're lucky, you may still get a copy of it on eil.com. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2008, 19:06

Hey, yeah... I forgot about that (the editing-out of the guitar solo)!  That bit was one of the most glorious, insane, exquisite rackets his fingers ever produced.  It has never NOT given me goosebumps.
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 22:04

Quote (Bassman @ Dec. 16 2008, 19:06)
Hey, yeah... I forgot about that (the editing-out of the guitar solo)!  That bit was one of the most glorious, insane, exquisite rackets his fingers ever produced.  It has never NOT given me goosebumps.

absolutely

6 seconds of heaven !!

to me - the 12" mix totally sucks ..
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 03:21

Im a bit of a fanatic when it comes to Heaven's Open. Love the single CD version, and Guitar Hero version. Its just an uplifting, energetic and joyous song to me.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 07:31

Quote (ex member 419 @ Feb. 20 2010, 03:21)
Im a bit of a fanatic when it comes to Heaven's Open. Love the single CD version, and Guitar Hero version. Its just an uplifting, energetic and joyous song to me.

Agreed. Interestingly, there's a part of "Heaven's Open" that reminds me of a part of that old Manfred Mann's Earth Band song, "Blinded by the Light". I don't like the effect in "Blinded by the Light", but I do like it in "Heaven's Open".
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 19:12

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 20 2010, 13:31)
Interestingly, there's a part of "Heaven's Open" that reminds me of a part of that old Manfred Mann's Earth Band song, "Blinded by the Light". I don't like the effect in "Blinded by the Light", but I do like it in "Heaven's Open".

Which part is that (in both songs)? I know "Blinded" virtually by heart because it's by Bruce Springsteen - he's the one who originally recorded it. But I can't find any similarities between Springsteen's original and "Heaven's Open". I'm not familiar with Manfred Mann's version, can you give me a link to it?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 21:36

Hi Ugo, as always your wish is my command:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8cDmi7-U8&feature=related

I didn't mean to imply that the song was by Manfred Mann; I know the Springsteen version and don't like it at all. I know I said I don't like Manfred Mann's version either, but that's only because it was a huge hit in Australia and was done to death on the radio. I think you'll perceive the keyboard part of the song that part of "Heaven's Open" resembles, but if you don't I'll give more information!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 08:51

@ nightspore: thanks a lot for the link (I do still prefer The Boss' version, but of course that's just me). Maybe the keyboard part you are referring to is the piano starting from about 4:48 (in the video you linked)? That one is the only prominent keyboard part in the song which may remind me a little bit of "Heaven's Open", as the start of Mike's song sounds somehow like that. The other prominent keyboard part in Manfred Mann's "Blinded" is under the chorus - the so-called 'break' - but that one reminds me more of The Who ("Won't Get Fooled Again") than of Mike. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
scottishwildcat Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 09:25

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 16 2008, 18:17)
I always thought the guitar lines on this version are more appealing than the album version.

I definitely agree.

I definitely disagree :) It's the album version or nothing for me; the other versions all have too many superfluous twiddly bits or worse, miss out key elements, notably the acapella "fly right in", which is the climax that makes the whole song.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 09:56

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 21 2010, 08:51)
(I do still prefer The Boss' version, but of course that's just me).

The only song by Springsteen I've ever liked was "Born to Run". Like Bob Dylan, in my opinion his songs are far too wordy; the rather simple melodies can't bear the weight of all the words and they collapse in an ironic heap. The muddy vocals don't help either. Again, just my opinion.

I do think the Manfred Mann version, with its imaginative instrumentation and treatment, brings out the implicit colour of Springsteen's words. But then, I prefer Elton John's version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" over the Beatles' for the same reason....
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 11:21

Quote (scottishwildcat @ Feb. 21 2010, 14:25)
Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 16 2008, 18:17)

I definitely agree.

I definitely disagree :) It's the album version or nothing for me; the other versions all have too many superfluous twiddly bits or worse, miss out key elements, notably the acapella "fly right in", which is the climax that makes the whole song.

Agreed.The extra guitar lines are kind of interesting to hear but at the same time I can see why they were removed.Secondly as Ugo says there`s no guitar solo,which is one of the major highlights of the song for me.

The only logical thinking behind removing "Fly right in" imo is purely and simply "singles market executive thinking strategy" Or to put it another way

"Let`s cram in another chorus in there just in case some people did`nt get it already" .

"Yes but to do that we`ll have to erase one of the key elemnts of the entire song"

"I care not for your key elements mumbo jumbo,make it so! "
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 15:15

yeah sadly the video mix has been butchered for the markets :(

album version all the way !!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 19:59

@ nightspore and off-topic [sorry 'bout that]: you didn't tell me whether I was right or not about the piano part in Manfred Mann's "Blinded" being similar to "Heaven's Open". Since I'm very keen on spotting musical similarities between a song and an earlier one (I and some friends played this game with nearly all of the songs participating in the Sanremo contest, during these past few days) I'd like to know if I spotted it here. :)

By the way, have a listen to this. It features the alternate guitar lines, the solo and the a cappella ending. Unfortunately it's not an official mix - OMA made it. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 21:39

Quote (Dirk Star @ Feb. 21 2010, 11:21)
"Let`s cram in another chorus in there just in case some people did`nt get it already" .

"Yes but to do that we`ll have to erase one of the key elemnts of the entire song"

Sounds very plausible for Virgin. Remember they were the geniuses who decided to remove one line from each verse in XTC's Life Begins at the Hop, so that it would get to the chorus faster, and maybe improve the single's chart performance. All in vain. And some time later, Making Plans for Nigel would become a smash hit.

Remember, kids, that there's a reason why record executives are not producers.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 06:42

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 21 2010, 19:59)
@ nightspore and off-topic [sorry 'bout that]: you didn't tell me whether I was right or not about the piano part in Manfred Mann's "Blinded" being similar to "Heaven's Open". Since I'm very keen on spotting musical similarities between a song and an earlier one (I and some friends played this game with nearly all of the songs participating in the Sanremo contest, during these past few days) I'd like to know if I spotted it here. :)

Sorry about that Ugo... but it was the part that reminded you of "Won't Get Fooled Again" that I was thinking of. I've just played "Heaven's Open" again, after just listening to Manfred Mann's BbtL, and the resemblance isn't as great as I thought. Perhaps just a few seconds of "Heaven's Open", at around 3'20" qualify...

I couldn't see any resemblance between the piano in BbtL at 4'48" and "Heaven's Open", though. That piano is just "Chopsticks".

At the risk of opening another can of worms, the general style of "Heaven's OPen" also reminds me of Journey, particularly their song "Any way you want it".
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 08:04

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 22 2010, 02:39)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Feb. 21 2010, 11:21)

Sounds very plausible for Virgin. Remember they were the geniuses who decided to remove one line from each verse in XTC's Life Begins at the Hop, so that it would get to the chorus faster, and maybe improve the single's chart performance. All in vain. And some time later, Making Plans for Nigel would become a smash hit.

Remember, kids, that there's a reason why record executives are not producers.

Life Begins At The Hop is a great song though is`nt it,it should`ve been a hit.Have you heard the session they did at the BBC,for that track?They really tear that thing up.

I would also hazzard a guess that "whoever" decided to put those extra guitar lines back into the video mix for Heaven`s Open.Did so with the premise that they might also "rope-in" the floating Mike Oldfield fans.

"Hey listen there`s some Mike Oldfield guitar playing on this that is`nt on the album version"

"Dammit I`m going to have to go out and buy the single now as well"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 17:57

Quote (Dirk Star @ Feb. 22 2010, 14:04)
"Hey listen there`s some Mike Oldfield guitar playing on this that is`nt on the album version"

"Dammit I`m going to have to go out and buy the single now as well"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha... :laugh: :laugh: :D Pet Shop Boys do this all the time. They've released about fifty singles up to now, and less than ten of them contain exactly the same version of the song as the album version - and the few that do, also feature a B-side which is not on the album. :) Tennant & Lowe are very, very keen on doing this kind of thing. In their case it's not a matter of commercial strategy or "roping in" casual fans, as you say, but they really make singles with extra tracks, or different versions, for their hardcore fans, who they know will buy an album as well as all the singles from it. That's what they always said about that.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 06:07

Yeah I like the Pet Shop Boys.Maybe it was partly because of Tennant being a music journalist before he was a pop star I don`t know.But he always seemed to know how to look after his fanbase.I can`t say I`ve followed their career as closely in recent years,but I`m sure they`re still producing good stuff.

Neil was born not too far from where I live,and he still owns a house and recording studio up here.Years ago a friend of mines sister used to be completely obsessed with him.And when I say "obsessed" I don`t mean she bought all the records and put posters all over her bedroom wall etc.I mean scary "following him around everywhere" obsessed.She even got to the point where she was attending family funerals (un-invited of course) And she would kind of stand nearby at what she would consider to be a "respectful distance" I guess.Pretty disturbing stuff though.I don`t know if she ever got over it to be honest,as my friend moved down to London quite a few years back now.
Profile PM 
23 replies since Dec. 15 2008, 14:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net