Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Where do I get the SPECIAL version?, Crises 30th Anniversary Box Set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 11 2015, 20:53

I believe there is a version of Crises with 5 discs, that contains the three extra CDs and the 5.1 DVD (which is what I really want). It's called (according to Wikipedia) the "30th Anniversary Box Set." Amazon.co.uk has an annoying habit of not labelling Mike's releases, or ANY differentiating releases of the same record for that matter, as what they really are, so you can never really be certain until you open up your package.

I don't understand why the "Deluxe Edition" (with the two CDs) wouldn't contain the DVD like normal. This is especially frustrating since I live in America, resulting in any attempt to buy an obscure Oldfield release with certainty turning into a wild goose chase. The thing is, I think I may have seen the 30th Anniversary edition listed on Amazon.co.uk for something ridiculous like 120 quid. I don't even know if this is the right version, because it just says "Crises," and even if it is, why should two extra CDs (and a DVD which should have been included in the deluxe edition anyhow) multiply the price by SIX!? That's absurd. And since Amazon also aggregates its reviews, the level of uncertainty I am left with is blinking-well baffling.

I have also been trying to keep tabs on the deluxe releases of Five Miles Out and Tubular Bells (for which I haven't bought the 5.1 mix Edition yet) until I can afford them. I just wish there was some way to perhaps buy the physical albums directly from Mike's website instead of having to go internet spelunking to buy something. Like, come on Mercury, just take my money already.

So does anyone know?

UPDATE: So I guess I found it, via Google Image searching and tracing back to Amazon. Apparently it's that expensive because it comes with a fancy slide-out case and a book. Yeah, I don't want the book. I don't care if they put the DVD in a white envelope and  saran-wrap it to the cheaper edition. I merely wanted the normal features, same as with the Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn deluxe versions.

I just really hate editions of music which seem like they are being made ultra expensive because of an extra book or extra CD or two. Financially, it makes no sense. A few extra cubic inches of paper and plastic to hold the extra content don't equal the ridiculous price. I know books can be printed for well under twenty quid, and CDs are very inexpensive to press compared to the price. Physical format is a dying medium, and charging people their souls to afford it doesn't help. Sorry, I'll just be buying the two CDs until someone up there in dollar-bill-bath land is more reasonable.
Profile PM 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2015, 21:39

I live in Spain and I'd also like to know where I can buy this. I have been chasing it since I heard about this edition. However seems like it was too late for me as every site says it is out of stock now... :(
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2015, 22:19

Quote (ESentinel @ Aug. 11 2015, 21:39)
I live in Spain and I'd also like to know where I can buy this. I have been chasing it since I heard about this edition. However seems like it was too late for me as every site says it is out of stock now... :(

You can buy it here, but it's ridiculously expensive.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crises-....box+set

I hope you have better luck finding an affordable copy.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 18:27

Commiserations, AwayWeGo - I don't think this is a search that's going to get any easier.  If you haven't already, you could pick your way through the saga of the original release (and a related topic) here, but it was a relatively-limited edition in the end.  The prices you're seeing reflect the box, book and discs to a point - sometimes the idea of the whole package creates value in the mind of the target audience - but in the case of Crises it's the rarity that is fuelling the asking prices.  The tentative price of nigh-on £60 was adjusted to one in the low-thirties, which sold out in double-quick time.  Some more were then produced but not in numbers to match the Oldfield fan-base.  If you'd been looking in late 2013/early 2014 then you might have found one of the last few new copies from the standard retailers.  Ever since, you and your kind have been at the mercy of the re-sellers, I'm afraid.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 19:50

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Aug. 26 2015, 18:27)
Commiserations, AwayWeGo - I don't think this is a search that's going to get any easier.  If you haven't already, you could pick your way through the saga of the original release (and a related topic) here, but it was a relatively-limited edition in the end.  The prices you're seeing reflect the box, book and discs to a point - sometimes the idea of the whole package creates value in the mind of the target audience - but in the case of Crises it's the rarity that is fuelling the asking prices.  The tentative price of nigh-on £60 was adjusted to one in the low-thirties, which sold out in double-quick time.  Some more were then produced but not in numbers to match the Oldfield fan-base.  If you'd been looking in late 2013/early 2014 then you might have found one of the last few new copies from the standard retailers.  Ever since, you and your kind have been at the mercy of the re-sellers, I'm afraid.

Thank you for a well-written and well-thought-out response. I think you are right about the price being at the mercy of the sellers.

I want to say that, you may have noticed my, let's say, obsession with obtaining desired versions of Oldfield's albums by reading my entries on this site. I just sort of consider myself a music preservationist of sorts. We live in an age of mp3s and convenience where I dare say most people haven't a clue how to carefully copy music from an uncompressed CD and keep it in its original lossless form. I'm afraid that if I don't try my best to obtain these CDs, the original sound data files of old releases will be lost to time, not in the strict sense of the word (since SOMEONE will always have them), but in the sense that I won't be able to access them without paying so much that I can't eat that month. The same will likely be true for anyone else of normal income who may want to hear the original releases. It's just been causing me a lot of stress lately that I have money and the music exists, but there are so many barriers between the music and me, a willful paying customer.

I've also been going through this thing where I am realizing it's not fair that someone else, simply because of where and when they were born, may get to have a copy of an album forever, preserved in a digital code, but that I, someone who happened to be born somewhere else, cannot have that album, even though I have the same amount of money the other person used to obtain their copy. It isn't fair. Not now. Not in the age of the internet. It all comes down to corporate shenanigans and the music market, where profits outweigh the historical importance of music as a form of art to be preserved and not thrown away when its use is done.

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, thanks for replying (:

I suppose for more (and I would be curious to hear your opinion also), you could check out my latest post in the "General Discussion" section about the whole remastering practice and how it makes things harder on some of us.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Aug. 11 2015, 20:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net