Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Where did the polls go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 23:33

Thanks for the explanation, 3Wheeler. I take it one had to keep an eye on the math or else things could get really confused, no? Sounds like it might be fun, but I can understand how such threads could cause irritation, too.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2008, 13:03

I was very annoyed at the time. I spent half a day writing a summary of one of the hurt/heal polls. Just for fun of course, but it was rather frustrating to find that the whole thread had been deleted without a warning. At the time noone was willing to admit what had happened.
Just tell us in advance before you delete something. Unlike ordinary e-mail there's not a copy of my message in the outbox.

And who the hell posts on this forum just to gain postcount? That's just weird. I guess I must have been one of the people you refer to, but as far as I can remember the main participants (?) in the poll were active in other discussions on the forum as well.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2008, 13:39

Without wanting to brag  Two of the most popular Items on the Boards that I Started up ie "The Song Association Game" & Hurt & Heal Polls were both deleted for some strange reason.. duhhh  I seem to remember about 20 - 30 people having a post on these items daily... Im not that bothered really but the site needs people to visit it to make it a vibrant place to be..  Go to the KT Tunstall site and youll see the diff .... The H&H polls were good cause u werent restricted with a poll limit of 10-12 or whatever which was really usefull if you wanted to poll 2 or 3 albums etc.. ah well there u go ..lol...  :/  I guess both these items have been given a ASBO   :laugh:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 21 2008, 14:43

We try to find and maintain the right balance for the forums, and try to encourage people to post stories, express themselves and inspire others to do so rather than playing "games" that kind of defeat the purpose of the forums. So we decided to keep the forums going in the direction that has made them successful. We talked about it amongst administrators, in the middle of the forums reorganization that took place, and we should have had an open discussion or at least post explanations in the forums or the guidelines I guess.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 21 2008, 15:41

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 21 2008, 18:03)
And who the hell posts on this forum just to gain postcount? That's just weird. I guess I must have been one of the people you refer to, but as far as I can remember the main participants (?) in the poll were active in other discussions on the forum as well.

No, of course you're not one of the ones I was referring to. The people concerned are no longer here - that's how big a part of the community they were (they went quiet of their own accord, at least as far as I remember). You're probably right that it was mostly regulars who were posting there - like I said before, it was over a year ago and all I'm left with is an overall impression of how things were. I was already decreasing my level of involvement with the forum at that time, as far as I remember, so I might not even have seen all the topics in question - I'm just saying what I remember, in a hope that it might help people to understand what happened. I could be like admins on other forums and just say "The admin's word is final" and ban everyone who's posted in this topic, if you'd prefer ;). I can say only that the concerns I mentioned before were the ones which I remember as bothering us at the time, and if topics were deleted, I believe that would be why. Why those topics were deleted completely and not just moved to the 'trash', I don't know. Generally, if there's a topic I think ought to be removed for one reason or another, I'll put it there - it then at the very least gives time to look through it without any pressure. There are occasionally ones which contain things which are obviously upsetting people, which can't be saved by deleting a single post, yet which may contain things which are worth keeping - I prefer to remove them as soon as possible, sit and twiddle my thumbs a bit while I work out how to edit them to make them work, then put them back again...the trash area is very handy for that.

Going back to people who post just to bump up their post count...it does happen here. It's not very common, but I can think of one or two cases, one of which was back at the time of some of those deleted topics. It tends to be teenagers, rather than the people in their twenties and upwards who tend to hang around here. You're right, it's an odd thing to do, but some people place great importance on the numbers next to their name - I suspect it's because it's the only thing they feel they can achieve (it does tend to be people who have nothing to say, which is why the topics more heavy in discussion usually repel them...it's not exclusively the case, but it usually is).

As far as a warning for topics about to be deleted goes, we'll certainly bear it in mind and give warning whenever and wherever possible. With housekeeping type stuff, that'll be no problem, but there are occasionally those cases, as I mentioned above, where we feel it's important to get stuff out the way quickly. An example would be if someone posted a topic with Mike's address in it - I'd not want to leave that hanging around for long enough for everyone to read a warning that it's about to be deleted...obviously that's just an example that comes easily to mind, and one of many possible situations that would lead to a topic being binned as quickly as possible. The chances are that the majority of posts in a topic like that would be along the lines of "I don't think you should have posted that..." anyway.
The other instance would be when a lot of people are asking for a topic to be deleted. Obviously we don't delete things on request without good reason, but there have been times when a topic has clearly upset a lot of people and requests for its deletion have been posted in that topic. We won't always delete those, but we might, so if you see a topic with posts like that in it, it would be best to take that as your warning - if we take the decision to remove it, it'll be because we want to get rid of it quickly, before anyone else gets upset.

What we'll do is make it policy to not actually delete topics, but to keep them in the trashcan for a while (shall we say a month?), so that people have a chance to alert us if they feel we've overlooked something.

Regarding popularity, I'd not say it's our major concern. Of course the place needs people, but our aim is to build the forum that we want to see and that we want to spend time on - otherwise we'd be running a Britney Spears forum or something like that, which would no doubt be way more popular than this! We do listen to suggestions for how to make the forum better, and all of us look at other forums quite regularly, which is how we form our opinions of what's best for tubular.net. We do continue to revise those opinions, but ultimately, like Olivier says, we have a direction which we've been going in since the beginning - the kind of discussion we try to encourage here now is the kind that the forum was created for.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 21 2008, 19:37

great answered..
I hope im not one of them.. I know i loved those polls. But that was just because i loved them. Im not very good in english and my posts can be short. So that is a good way to express me better. To play and make polls. I love this forum most of all places.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 20:29

Tubularman, you were certainly not one of them--I don't think the ones in question are even here anymore, either. Your point is also very well-taken about post-length particularly for folks for whom English is not their original language. You make wonderful contributions to this place, in any case!

I have to go into a bit of a trance to remember the particulars in the case the game threads, but there was one, maybe two nights a long, long time ago, in a topic far, far away, that Korg and I analyzed a couple of the game threads into the wee hours of the morning (especially for Korg <-; ) . We looked at post counts and the percentage of posts of the (former) members. Most, if not all (again, trances are only so reliable! ) of a few (very few) people's posts were in the game topics. Hope I've stated that in a way that makes sense.

The administers are a pretty diverse group of people--age-wise, gender, profession, different spots on the planet, etc.-- but we all prefer to have an organized, relevant forum to offer the world. That means merging duplicate topics when we come across them, reviewing the forum organization from time-to-time, and critically thinking about the relevance of some of the topics. Korg explained more about the decision-making process, so I shall stop now. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 01:27

Quote (Tubularman @ Jan. 21 2008, 19:37)
Im not very good in english and my posts can be short. So that is a good way to express me better. To play and make polls. I love this forum most of all places.

Short but pithy, Tubularman, and always welcomed by myself.

Somehow, I feel a bit weird participating in a discussion concerning events which occurred long (?) before I even arrived on the scene. Part of me feels as if I should turn away and pretend I don't see it.

Naaww.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 09:05

thanks to you all..  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
28 replies since Jan. 09 2007, 14:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net