Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Where did the polls go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 14:55

There used to be a forum just for polls and opinions. Where are the polls now? We had one going, and I was about to blow some life into it, but I can't find it!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 18:20

heh, it is true..  ;)
when you mention it..  :/
nothing there..

hm....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 19:48

Most of the polls were sent to the general discussion. Polls specific to a given forum were sent to that one. You can create a poll in any one of forums; as always, the forum guidelines pertain.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 21:57

Shall we create a poll to see if people like polls?  :p

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2007, 16:03

Quote (Moz @ Jan. 10 2007, 02:57)
Shall we create a poll to see if people like polls?  :p

lets vote on that!!!!!

R

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 16:46

Quote (Inkanta @ Jan. 09 2007, 19:48)
Most of the polls were sent to the general discussion. Polls specific to a given forum were sent to that one. You can create a poll in any one of forums; as always, the forum guidelines pertain.

OK. Thanks. BTW did any of the old polls in any way violate the forum guidelines?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 16:53

I've just searched the forums for all my old posts, and I notice that all the hurt/heal poll threads are gone. Were some threads deleted when the forums were re-designed?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 18:16

i don't find any either..
But i must be honest. My last poll was to big and would last to long ha ha.. ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 20:59

Hmmm...I'll have to see if I can find out. The last thing placed in the trashcan was in October, and it was one of those spammer-type topics (I manually delete about two of the potential spam members every day before they can post, which is why you don't see so much spam anymore. But--I know that one of these days I'll accidentally approve one).

p.s. We have talked in the past about limiting the game-type topics eventually, once they've concluded or if they get too large, etc.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2007, 20:15

Quote (Inkanta @ Jan. 11 2007, 20:59)
Hmmm...I'll have to see if I can find out. The last thing placed in the trashcan was in October, and it was one of those spammer-type topics (I manually delete about two of the potential spam members every day before they can post, which is why you don't see so much spam anymore. But--I know that one of these days I'll accidentally approve one).

p.s. We have talked in the past about limiting the game-type topics eventually, once they've concluded or if they get too large, etc.

I hope they're somewhere. For a couple of the polls I made a "summary" post at the end, which would be fun to keep at least for archival purposes.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2007, 13:52

Guess you could ask where the entire Board went over the weekend (hope it dreamed <-; ). I don't know yet--seems to have been a server-related issue. Everything seems all right now--hope to find out what actually happened.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2007, 15:00

Quote (Inkanta @ Jan. 14 2007, 18:52)
Guess you could ask where the entire Board went over the weekend.

Ah, the universe works in mysterious ways. I'd been listening to Light and Shade a few days ago and since there were a number of new things I wanted to say, I'd decided over the weekend that it was worth writing a really long new post. And I had the time to do it. So ... here goes, i thought .... then - nothing!

The best laid plans of mice and men. Ah well. Good to see the old place back up and running though.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2007, 16:46

Sorry to hear that, Alan. I guess you could do what I do sometimes; that is, compose a post in Word--which doesn't work if you need to refer to on-board topics and the forums are down, I suppose. I started doing that years ago after losing a couple of long, thinking posts (a rarity for me these days--the long and thinking part--wow--just had a moment of deja vu <recovers>) and getting a "timed out" type message a couple of times (between all of the interruptions around here, it can take me a long time to write a sentence). I don't know if it was an old version of ikonboard or what--it hasn't happened for a couple of years.

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: April 25 2007, 11:34

I think polls are a great thing to get discussions going.
So you can't make polls anywhere on these boards?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2008, 14:35

Wee bump to this thread, most of the polls I remember (including the "hurt and heal" ones mentioned above do seem to be gone for good (I was just trying to find one which referenced some stuff about Far Country and can't find it anywhere) . Was this an accident when the admins did the reshuffle or do you not want this type of poll for some reason? Too big? Not the sort of thing you wanted on tb.net? Seems a shame because I remember lots of interesting discussions about the merits etc. of various tracks during some of them.

Oh well  :/

I suppose I should just be grateful for this board existing at all! Especially now it is Mikes semi-official "community" :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 05:06

I don't even honestly remember exactly when it was that we did all the shuffling around, and who made what decisions (I know that this topic is from January last year, but I have a feeling the reshuffle was a little time before that).

As I remember, there was concern at the time that the forum was getting too big, and that there was too much stuff on it. Part of the solution we arrived at was to get rid of some of the areas which overlapped too much with others, as well as some of those which just weren't being used. Out of those which overlapped, we moved a fair number of topics to other places, but we did sit down and ask "Is anyone going to want to read this again?". I really don't remember how many cases there were where we answered "no" and in the cases where we did, I don't completely remember why we arrived at that answer - all I can say is that it seemed logical at the time (and they were mostly ones which hadn't been touched for at least a year).

I remember there were certain cases of members who spent their time exclusively in things like the hurt and heal polls and appeared to be there for no reason other than bumping up their post counts. I'm aware that they were in the minority, but it did cause some antagonism, so I think it would be fair to say that we weren't totally happy with the direction that some of those topics were headed in. I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics of exactly who the people in question were, or what topics were involved, but I believe that's the kind of direction that the thinking behind the decisions was in.
We would have reviewed those topics and discussed whether they had content which made them worth keeping, and I'd suppose that we felt that if anything in there was worth reading, nobody would bother trawling through all the other posts to find it - we could well have been wrong there, but like I said, we did feel a wee bit antagonised by them, so perhaps weren't in the most charitable of moods when it came to making that decision. If you're thinking that doesn't sound like a terribly healthy situation, I think I'd probably agree with you - I kept a very low profile here for about a year afterwards, staying very much behind the scenes, as I felt without a bit of distance, I was going to end up making things worse.

I do understand how people feel about the topics here and how it can feel rather like their contribution to the community isn't valued when they're deleted; we're sorry if anyone feels that way in connection with this situation.

It does make it helpful for future reference if topics are kept nicely organised - give them a nice, descriptive title and try to not let it wander too far off topic (of course a little bit of wandering is natural, and indeed can lead to interesting things, and the odd bit of irrelevance can be fun), that way it'll be much easier to find when you go looking for in in a few years' time, and the chances of it getting mistaken for something irrelevant are infinitely smaller.

The support of Mike and Universal is very welcome. We very much hope that our collaboration with them will bring interesting things for the coming year and beyond.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 05:18

If support from the very bottom helps - you have mine - someone has to make executive decisions.  

Just how big is this site right now?

Ray :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 05:58

Hi Korgscrew, thanks for the honest answers!

Suspect you were right about some of the polls, while they were interesting for those involved in them, the "signal to noise" ratio was quite low so very difficult for anybody else to extract anything useful from them subsequently.

Will the admins be giving some sort of hint of types of topic that they think are not going to worth keeping in future? Would avoid any mild sense of loss when they get nuked!

Keep up the good work.

Matt

p.s. I am sure you don't really want any support from Rays bottom thank you very much!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 04:00

What is a "hurt/heal" poll/thread, please?

(PS: "I am sure you don't really want any support from Rays bottom thank you very much!"... as tempting as it is to grab hold of 'Ray's bottom' and run with it, my sense of decorum won't allow it. Much to everyone's - especially Ray's - relief, I'm sure.)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 04:52

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 20 2008, 04:00)
What is a "hurt/heal" poll/thread, please?

Its another way of voting for a Subject .. ie best Album , Single, Best song on Album etc... You become pro Active and each day vote for and Against a Song , Album etc until a Winner is decided by being the last one left ....If I recall OMMADAWN won the Album vote.. Cannt remember the Singles Winner though.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
28 replies since Jan. 09 2007, 14:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net