Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: When the night's on fire version, HDCD vs. others ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jerome C Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2002, 10:24

Hi all,

I just got the HDCD of Islands, and to my very big surprise the version of When the night's on fire as nothing to do with the good old one I new from my antique LP.

It's not even with Bonnie Tyler, the music is very different, the only common thing appears to be the lyrics !

Is it Anita Hegerland singing ? Where does this version come from ? I have read nothing about this anywhere before (eg on Amarok FAQ), but of course I've not read everything !!

Thanks for your info
Jerome C

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 17:03

Interesting - my opinion always was that 'Nights on Fire' was a taste of what 'Islands' could have been if Bonnie Tyler had NOT done it  ;)
It's also Anita's version that is on my '87 CD, AFAIR, it wasn't on the LP and (from the discography) neither on the US version. Maybe you're confusing it with Islands.
There are also two other versions as MP3's on the web, one with bonnie that also adds some more of the 'Nights on Fire' lyrics, and one sung by Barry Palmer (apparently a very early mix) - making a total of 4 variations of this 'night with two birds' theme...
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 05:44

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand you : you mean you always listened to Anita's version [so it is Anita] on any CD release, and the song was not at all on the LP ??

It's also Anita's version that is on my '87 CD, AFAIR, it wasn't on the LP and (from the discography) neither on the US version.

And the mp3 version with Bonnie is only to be found on the web ? (where ?) That could the one of my French LP ?!

Anyway I have to listen to my tape again (taken from the LP which is buried somewhere) to be sure, but I was very surprise when I listened the HDCD version from the very first notes until the last ones, so I don't think I'm drunk this time ;)

"A suivre..."
Jérôme

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 08:28

The 'Tubular World' discography at least mentions no difference between different countries' LP editions, just that 'NoF' is only available on CD editions and missing on a few US CD releases, which also have different track order, e.g. 'Islands' as last track.
The early/extended mix version with Bonnie was on some French host some months ago (which has gone down soon after I found it :( )
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 11:13

Well, I guess we can trust Rainer's discography on that one ! Maybe I was so used to hear the non-LP / alternate Bonnie version (from an mp3 ?) of it that I integrated it with the LP in my memory ?

I now must listen to my tape + check my mp3 collection to solve that mistery !!

More info ASAP...

:O

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2002, 08:46

Well, hum, errrr.... ermmrmrmmr.... caugh-caugh... arrrrglglglgl....

I was wrong.

There is no 'Nof' on the LP at all. The LP mental integration theory is correct. My mind created a musical fusion for my memory.

We are not much considering the vast emptiness of eternal intergalactic spaces, after all.

:laugh:

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 05:52

Ha Ha Ha. I've always seen 'The Night's on Fire' as a blatant rip off, except that's impossable as you can't rip off youself. I certainl prefer the title track better.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2002, 18:17

"I just got the HDCD of Islands, and to my very big surprise the version of When the night's on fire as nothing to do with the good old one I new from my antique LP, It's not even with Bonnie Tyler, the music is very different, the only common thing appears to be the lyrics !".........

This is big news to me, No gritty voiced Bonnie Tyler booming out, sacrilege!!!

I cannot believe it, I will have to rush out now and buy the CD to hear the difference.

Bonnie made that song stand out, It compemented Mikes music.

I always hoped both her and Rod Stewart would have made a duet with this song, can you not just hear it. :O

Oh well, somethings were never meant to be!

Cheers MO fan  :cool:
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2003, 03:47

if you search the web www.amadian.net you will be able to see that on the vinyls the when the night on fire song is not included!
only on cd issues!
ok?
bye.. :cool:

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 14:56

i just bought the CD after many years swearing i wouldn't replace my old vinyls or tapes. But for some peculiar reason i had a similar experience. I had NoF as a MALE vocal in my head. I got out the 12" singlre to make sure, and no , that's a female vocal.
So where the hell did my risdual memory get the Bacon vocal from? I never had it as a mp3 (too early for the net then) and the casette didn't have the track, nor did the singlr. Weird.

funny thing is, the version in my memory is still better thabn the cd bonus track.

ps - how come the cd has wind chimes as one track where the lp and casette had a definite break between the 2?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 15:01

pps

"When the nights on fire" b-side of 12" vs 990-12 "islands". Featuring Anita Hegerland, tim 6.42

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 17:08

Quote (olracUK @ April 21 2004, 14:56)
how come the cd has wind chimes as one track where the lp and casette had a definite break between the 2?

Well, the CD has also the break but it's all the whole side A together in one single track, except in the original american version which has it splitted in 2 tracks
 :cool:
Profile PM 
11 replies since July 31 2002, 10:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net