Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: what was your first reaction, when you first heard this album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 04 2010, 11:44

Now this is what I call a curse.

I rented Earth Moving from Aberystwyth library in 1989 and was at no point (across several listens) did the planet shift.  I'd happened to catch the performance of Innocent on TV-AM and thought it inoffensive enough but a whole album without tension?

Well that's what I thought, never bought it after that, ignored it again come 2000, and apparently haven't played The Platinum Collection's third disc since my DVD/HDD recorder became my only way to play such things.  I was inspired to seeing this topic reactivating, wasn't planning to post since it's not the album but even the thought of it has killed my poor machine.  Damn you, late '80's Mike Oldfield, damn you, damn you, damn you!!!!!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2010, 17:41

I remember hearing 'Innocent' on the radio and quite liking it, but I didn't buy the album. My cassette copy came second-hand and when I finally heard it I was disappointed that it wasn't another 'Crises' or 'Discovery'. Moreover, the pseudo-religious content of the lyrics put me off, and I consigned it to the dusty depths of my cassette collection.

Just last night, I hoiked it out and played it again. It's not as intensely pseudo-religious as I imagined. There are some nice rock/pop tracks on the album. Don't get me wrong; the religious theme is there and I'm not so keen on that. But I didn't find it 'preachy'; I found it was more a comment upon religion rather than an attempt to 'convert'. I guess I find that sort of lyric more acceptable with age, which means I should revisit 'Islands' too. ;)

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2010, 07:13

Welcome to the site Rider....well thought out post. I still cant abide the album though....not my cup of tea.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2010, 07:53

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 24 2010, 07:13)
Welcome to the site Rider....well thought out post. I still cant abide the album though....not my cup of tea.

"There's still hope for the runaway son"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2010, 10:17

Earth Moving is the kind of stuff they play on german radio. I was reminded last week when we were driving through germany, listening to local stations that seemed to play only middle of the road rock/pop for growns ups. You don't hear that kind of music in Sweden any more.
I think germany is where there was most chart action for this album. Am I correct?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2010, 12:39

Wouldnt surprise me really, its very "europop"
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 02 2012, 22:41

For your musical crime, Mr Oldfield, there will be no forgiveness!  However, I should really acknowledge that my player did recover not long after that fateful morning - playing the Incantations DVD now and minded to correct this oversight before I post over there...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 14:26

I'm not really fond of this album. I bought the CD in 1990 and once I got the LP in 2004 I sold the CD as it sounded awful in comparison. 'Holy' is great with Adrian Belew on vocals but the rest is run of the mill power-pop I'm afraid!
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2013, 18:56

I wagged school the day it was released here and drove all the way to Blackwood to get it. I was absolutely gutted when I got home and listened to it. Couldn't believe my ears. I don't think I will ever recover from that experience.

In hindsight I admit that the vocal on the title track is pretty amazing. That's all though. :D
Profile PM 
68 replies since June 05 2006, 19:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net