Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: what was your first reaction, when you first heard this album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 05 2006, 19:05

I wonder what you expected when you for first time bought this album "earth moving".
Did you play it alot or..... (well you must say..)

I remember i liekd it very much.
I think i had tb3 first, so a collection and discovery before i bought this album. I must say that i loved it very much first time he he..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
the_bulldog Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2006, 22:21

When Earth Moving was released in the US, I picked it up, just as I always do with anything from MO. I stuck it into the player and gave it a quick listen. I was not impressed and wondered what Mike was thinking. It languished for almost a year, when one day I was on the computer for about 12 hours and wanted to just listen to MO, while I worked. Earth Moving ended up popping up between Omadawn and Platinum. For whatever reason, it struck a chord (no pun intended) with me. I hit repeat, and actually listened to it. About three cuts really made an impression. Don't know what I didn't like on first listen, but all of that was far behind me. About the same thing happened back in the '70's, when I heard TB, part 2 (on vinyl). Part 1 was well known to me, by the time that I found the album (for the youngsters, songs were cut/pressed onto plastic for play, and the ones with a compilation of songs, were called "albums"). It was some months later (part 1 side had been played hundreds of times), and I listened to part 2. Again, something clicked. Can't explain why this has happened twice with MO's releases, but it has. Now, I wouldn't be without either TB (now called I) and EM. Matter of fact, I've probably got 10 different versions of TBI on CD/SACD/vinyl/MP3, and EM on CD/vinyl/MP3, plus different compilations on CD & DVD.

Hunt
Profile PM 
Mirage Offline

Posted: June 06 2006, 00:27

I too was not overly impressed. I thought it was a nice change of pace for Mike, but I really didn't (and still don't) think Mike does "pop" music very well. I understand the constraints and pressures from record labels to turn out "marketable" music for the masses, but I don't think MO can be restained in that way. But the album grew on me and I like to this day. I listen to it when I need a change.

(I loved the horns in "Runaway Son", I think that was the first and only time I'd heard them used in one of Mikes songs.)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 06 2006, 05:44

I didn't expect too much after Islands, and I knew beforehand that it only had short songs.
I noticed a couple of alright tracks, but what really surprised me was how under-produced it was. I was working in a music store at the time and EM sounded like preset sounds from the workstation synths of the day. The production seemed kind of Stock-Aitken-Waterman-ish, which I found disappointing.

The first time I heard anything from EM was Innocent performed on some german TV show (Peter's pop-show?), and I thought the tune was OK to good.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 06 2006, 14:54

I remember the first I saw EM my only Oldfield experiances at the time were the TB trilogy and Amarok so I thaught it was an album like TB3, a long track splited; and I saw on the forum it was only vocal I didn't know what to think about it, so one day I was at my record shop with a friend I hadn't find anything intersting so i baught.
I didn't hate at fist but for me wasen't an Oldfield record and it's still not!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 07 2006, 15:43

I hated it then ,and i still hate it now :/ (sorry )
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: June 07 2006, 18:36

Quote (hergest fridge @ June 07 2006, 15:43)

This is the funniest thing I've seen in ages:
you say you hate it, but look at your signature  :O  :O  :laugh:
It's a lyric from Earth Moving!!
hahahaha

For me, I heard it first when I was 12 or 13, long long ago  ;) , and I remember being stunned. Right from that opening drumlike sound I was thinking: this is beautiful. Certainly then the album was very popular with me, and I still like it. The ones with male vocals a bit more than female vocals. This is not meant personal, ladies

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 07 2006, 19:59

I was stunned in a different way but didn't cry like I did upon hearing Abacab (when I heard the horns I started to sob--it has been a traumatic day and that brass was the final straw). I did find some things to like on EM, but played it relatively little then and even less now. I haven't uploaded anything from it to the iPOD. Hmm...maybe I will send up a couple of them...thanks for the reminder. :)  That was actually the last MO that I acquired for a number of years, until TSODE in 1994. Thanks to the evolution of the Internet making it easier to find news groups and discussion lists, around 1996 I became aware of the existence of other MO's....like Amarok and Heaven's Open. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 16:04

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ June 07 2006, 18:36)
Quote (hergest fridge @ June 07 2006, 15:43)

This is the funniest thing I've seen in ages:
you say you hate it, but look at your signature  :O  :O  :laugh:
It's a lyric from Earth Moving!!
hahahaha

For me, I heard it first when I was 12 or 13, long long ago  ;) , and I remember being stunned. Right from that opening drumlike sound I was thinking: this is beautiful. Certainly then the album was very popular with me, and I still like it. The ones with male vocals a bit more than female vocals. This is not meant personal, ladies

Thanks for that :D I picked that signature because their the worst lyrics i,ve ever heard ,and also the funniest. :)
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 16:08

I like it! I don't think it was out of place amongst other 80s music. Maybe that's what folks don't like about it, i dunno.  

I remember hearing the arpeggio(?) notes that introduce "Holy" in my brother's car, when I was younger, and thinking "Oh... that's nice!" - Liked the album ever since.  Not my favourite by a long shot, though...

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: June 10 2006, 15:09

I've always liked it, disappointed not to have a full length work, but this is the best pop music mike has done, and beautifully crafted. I remember it came out just before my summer holiday that year and i played it in the car and hotel and so many people liked it. I tried that with amarok and nearly got sectioned under the mental health act. Just one year apart!
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2006, 10:34

I guess my first reaction on hearing this album a few months ago was pretty much like the critics: "Meh".

So far though, I'm halfway through this album, the rockier songs like Hostage and See The Light are my favourites!  :D

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2006, 11:05

My first reaction with Earth Moving was... ehm... I don't remember. I don't even remember when did I get the album nor even If I got it on tape or CD... gosh...

That surely means that it didn't make me feel nothing... It passed almost unnoticed. Well. it's a nice album... It's not his worst (that place is reserved for Guitars) but it's not his best indeed.

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2006, 18:09

I'd heard it all on mp3s before buying it, so I was prepared. :) However, I think it's a pretty fair 80s pop record, as far as some 80s pop could go. :D

@ Wayfarer: I don't agree with you on Guitars being his worst album. It's already two years that I've assigned the black crown to TKF, and I don't think I'll ever change my mind...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2006, 18:12

I'm in the "hated it", now "appreciate it" camp. Along with Discovery, Heavens Open and MB, it took a very long time and many plays before I "got it". Perhaps it is just familiarity, the many plays, with some big year long gaps inbetween plays.

Mike set out to make a certain type of euro rock album, building on his percieved market, and he made a fine album of it's type. If he was willing to plug albums on GMTV (breakfast TV), he was at a certain place in his career, and the album reflected that.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
twingoman Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2006, 05:32

I've had this album for almost ten year, although I very rarely listen to it.  I certainly don't hate it, but it's one of my least favourite.

That said, "Innocent" is quite a good track.
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2006, 09:19

I have to say this now: In my opinion Earth Moving is actually a decent pop album!  :O

Okay, shocking news aside, I just adore the vocals for "Hostage" and especially the chorus. This reminds me of the UK version of "Magic Touch". Unfortunately the same kind of 'rolling' chorus, rolling in a sense that it carries the song and makes it more energetic, is apparently lacking in the other songs.

"Runaway Son" is definitely a very bouncy, bright and optimistic song and again, the chorus and vocals does the trick! Love those rockish songs! :D

"See The Light" could have been "Discovery"'s brother song, in the sense that "Man In The Rain" was "Moonlight Shadow"'s sister song. I hear the same desperation and gruffy vocals, they both have their similarities! Great song!

"Blue Light", ahhh it's Maggie Reilly again! But again unfortunately only the first verse is promising. I don't fancy the rest of the lyrics and especially the chorus. This song could've been better I say. :/

In "Bridge To Paradise", credit ought to go to the delightful synths at the opening and especially Mike's guitar! Above average.

As for the other songs, "Far Country" is a too slow song for this album. Not very quite a favourite for me. As for "Innocent", I think this song's very cutesy, but not particularly enjoyable. Overall this album's a 50-50 hit or miss album. The first three songs mentioned in this post are definitely worth it for this album. :p

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2006, 09:39

This album is clever, soft, nice for me.  And now, when I understand it, is very near  me. I enjoy it, English is so beautiful language !  :)

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2006, 14:18

As long as you realize that "sing to me like the very first sing" is not proper English :)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 23 2006, 21:18

I always interpreted that as in "a gathering of people for group singing" -- the first time people ever gathered for that purpose.
http://www.answers.com/sing

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
68 replies since June 05 2006, 19:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net