Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What was so special about Dec 08, 2004., Most users ever online.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 06:35

I have always wondered what was so special about Dec 08, 2004 at 8:36 to have the most users ever online at one time, 63!!!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 07:24

That's what I'd like to know too!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 12:26

The Bellend says, that around 8/after 8 is the peak time for people to sign in, December means that the weather was likely to be bad so instead of opening a beer outside in the evening sun people were more likely to be sat at the computer!

A boring but logical response ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 17:49

They'd not be out having a beer in the evening sun at 8 in the morning anyway...
It was actually 13:36 GMT anyway. ;)

It's not merely a factor of weather, partly because the users are spread all around the world, and also because, even if we accept the fact that the majority of users are in Europe, there was colder weather in January and February 2005.

You'd do better to look at past trends...that's if you were able to, at least - we don't have any statistics published for such things! I can tell you though, that there's always a peak in usage around the time of a major news event. My guess would be that the peak was connected with the release of the Elements DVD just around that time. The time of day is just around the time that people in Europe come back to their offices, or sit down at their home computers, after lunch.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 18:39

The only thing I think of when I hear "December 8" is the death of John Lennon.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 01:30

So that means that on Sept 26/27 approx we could beat that record, lets all agree to sign in exactly 12 or 24 hours after the UK release of 'Light and Shade' (starting from the time the stores open of course). Even if you didn't manage to rush out and buy it and bring it home and listen to it, those who have can post their reviews and the rest of us can talk about it. Korgscrew, that applies to everyone signed in doesn't it, they don't have to actually post?

OK, SEE YOU ALL ONLINE EXACTLY 12 HOURS AFTER THE STORES OPEN IN THE UK ON DAY OF RELEASE OF LIGHT AND SHADE, LET'S BREAK THIS RECORD.

P.S. - What time do the stores open?

P.S.S. - Or would 8:30 am the next day work better, 1:30 in Europe (lunchtime).

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 08:29

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 20 2005, 01:30)
So that means that on Sept 26/27 approx we could beat that record, lets all agree to sign in exactly 12 or 24 hours after the UK release of 'Light and Shade' (starting from the time the stores open of course). Even if you didn't manage to rush out and buy it and bring it home and listen to it, those who have can post their reviews and the rest of us can talk about it. Korgscrew, that applies to everyone signed in doesn't it, they don't have to actually post?

OK, SEE YOU ALL ONLINE EXACTLY 12 HOURS AFTER THE STORES OPEN IN THE UK ON DAY OF RELEASE OF LIGHT AND SHADE, LET'S BREAK THIS RECORD.

P.S. - What time do the stores open?

P.S.S. - Or would 8:30 am the next day work better, 1:30 in Europe (lunchtime).

Don't forget, let's organise this!

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 20:26

Well I will sign in once I work out what time that is in Australia. What time do the shops open in the UK?

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 23:16

Thanks for your support on this one guys, NOT! I'll be signed in all day today (the 26th already at my end of the world, 12:46pm) and I hope we can beat that record of 63 people online some time today!

Only 11 people away from our 2000th member, or should we celebrate 2005 instead?

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 08:14

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 20 2005, 01:30)

We've got nothing to lose but tubular.net's servers!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:00

According to my calculations it is 9:00pm GMT, only 20 people online. It is 5:30am here so I have dragged myself out of bed. Off to read the reviews now, cheerio.

God I hope nothing happens to the servers, I'm sure they can cope with 20 people though!!!!! :/

Can somebody just post and tell me what the time is in England right now please? Should be 9pm, not 4pm.

Tracy.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:17

You were right Tracy! Now it's 21.17, not worth losing sleep over, but I guess anything goes............  :zzz:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:28

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 26 2005, 21:00)
God I hope nothing happens to the servers, I'm sure they can cope with 20 people though!!!!! :/

To be honest, I'm not sure if any of us is quite sure.

We used to have a lot of problems a few years ago, when the amount of load the forum was placing on the server's CPU was just too great, and we'd come here to find that the host had shut the script down for exceeding the limit. We've since moved over to more efficient forum software, and the server has been upgraded, so there should be less trouble. It really depends on what the people are doing, too.

I think the statistics are more interesting if they're not forced, but rather reflect the natural useage here...maybe that's just me, though.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:34

Yes you're right Korgscrew, but I would have expected a surge of usage at this time anyway with the new album out and everyone either posting their reviews or reading them. Besides, no-one listens to me anyway so I am sure I have not in any way affected the natural order of things apart from me getting up at 5am.

Could the anonymous member online atm be Mike perusing for reviews of the new album?

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 23:52

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:28)
I think the statistics are more interesting if they're not forced, but rather reflect the natural useage here...maybe that's just me, though.

Nah. I don't like to see stats skewed; besides, we'd not learn anything about true statistical patterns.

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:34)
Yes you're right Korgscrew, but I would have expected a surge of usage at this time anyway with the new album out and everyone either posting their reviews or reading them. Besides, no-one listens to me anyway so I am sure I have not in any way affected the natural order of things apart from me getting up at 5am.

Like you, Tracy, I've been curious about 8 December, too, particularly in that there wasn't a noticeable increase in the number of posts to the forums, a release, etc. You might check back through the Board to see if there were a lot of posts around the stuff released since the inception of tubular.net if you're looking for patterns of posting (though as you know, many, many more log on at any given time than post--and it's hard to say if there a correlation between high post days and high overall visits to the Board days) .

I suppose if we invoke Occam's Razor, which suggests that given two hypotheses or theories, we should choose the simplest explanation, we might figure this out. What are some explanations and which is the simplest?

Don't worry about people not listening to you--they do. Here again, perhaps the simplest explanation is that everyone was too entranced in the sounds of L + S threading through the airways to log in. Well.....could happen! Actually, probably many didn't see the topic or couldn't log in when they needed to. Or were indeed so blown away by L + S they couldn't get to a computer. Maybe not the simplest explanation, but my favorite one for now. :D Try to catch some sleep!  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 00:04

What are you doing up? Isn't it 5:00am over there now?

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 08:53

Er...no...it was a bit before 11 PM (23:00). If it had been 5AM, it wouldn't be unusal for me to be up. I tend to be an early-morning and night person, a definite conflict there. :D But...if one isn't used to getting up at a certain hour, it's a bit like jet-lag--the body needs to adjust to an earlier hour over a period of time.

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 20:26

Sorry Inkanta, I forgot you live in the US, not the UK. So are you still waiting for your copy of L&S too? Love the pic in your profile, you look very young and attractive, nice vehicle too. Why don't you post that photo in Members Photographs?

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 23:09

Yep, still waiting in Missouri. Amazon's estimated ship date was....er...today with delivery on the 29th. It's not going to be the 27th anywhere on the planet for much longer, so we'll see what they say tomorrow.....

Re: the picture.....Thanks....I didn't post it in the members section cos I could link to that one in the profile. :) One of these days I'll share another... :)

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 22:36

Oh my GOD! There are 5 pages of 'new posts' in one day! That has to be some kind of record. What did I miss while I was asleep?

--------------
Profile PM 
19 replies since Aug. 19 2005, 06:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net