Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What version of Platinum is this?http://rapidshare, track identification< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pooksahib Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 15:16

Hi.  Back in 1985 I recorded a lot of stuff from a local radio station where artists names weren't always stated at the end of the song.  As a result, I was under the misapprehension that the attached clip of music was by Renaissance/Annie Haslam.  I've only recently been put right.  I now want to replace a lot of what I have on cassette tape and Platinum is high on the list.  However, I don't believe that this recording is from the LP.  It seems very like the 1981 Montreux performance I watched a clip of recently.  Can someone confirm what actual perfromance I committed to tape all those years ago?  And is it on CD?  I ask that because, if it's the Montreux performance, I've only seen a DVD for sale.  Would a radio station have played the audio from a DVD in 1985....?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  The clip can be had here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/344530005/unknown_tune.mp3
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 17:54

It is the Montreaux performance. But it is taken, of course, directly from the Montreaux Jazz Festival, not from the DVD release of Mike's performance at the Festival. As far as I know, most (if not all) of the Montreaux Festival performances, by all artists, were recorded for radio and videotaped for television. So that radio station had no need to play the audio from a DVD: it was a tape recorded at Montreaux, or maybe it was the audio of a TV recording of the performance. The fact that the only (official) recording of Mike's Montreaux performance is currently available on a DVD does not imply that it (i.e. the recording) didn't exist in 1985, but just that the DVD is the first official release, intended for public sale, of that recording. Indeed, I think that what is featured on the DVD is nothing more than a television broadcast from 1981. :)

I don't think that Mike's Montreux performance was released on a CD - as I said, the DVD is the only official release. But I'm sure that there are plenty of bootlegs floating around. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
pooksahib Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 01:29

Thanks for that, Ugo.  Much appreciated.
Profile PM 
pooksahib Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 10:31

Excellent news (for me at any rate) - I tracked it down to "The Complete Mike Oldfield" double CD.  While I'm here, Tubular Bells was the first album I ever bought and that was after hearing it in primary school.  Our teacher (a bit of a hippy, I loved her...) played side one to us 12 year olds then asked us to write a story based on the music.  Er, aye right, whatever you say... After that, we had to draw a picture with the music as inspiration.  Happy days.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 10:36

Well, the version on The Complete isn't the same one, i.e. it isn't Montreaux - as far as I remember, that's a German performance. However, if you like it, you're the one who's happy, as we say here in Italy. :)

EDIT: Checked on The Complete CD and confirmed: it's not the Montreaux version. It's a 1981 performance from Hanover, Germany.

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 11:42

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 05 2010, 23:54)
I don't think that Mike's Montreux performance was released on a CD - as I said, the DVD is the only official release. But I'm sure that there are plenty of bootlegs floating around. :)

First guys,don't forget the correct name is Montreux and not Montreaux  ;)

Second, there is a bootleg of this concert. Its name is Swiss Made and come from Japan. The sound is not very good and moreover, there are a lot of mistakes on it.
http://www.argiers.com/images/bootlegB/Swiss_Made.JPG

Mike's performance was not released on an official CD.

I live near that town and Mr Nobs (the man who founded this festival) can confirm this...

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 20:53

Quote (yanouch65 @ Feb. 06 2010, 11:42)
I live near that town and Mr Nobs (the man who founded this festival) can confirm this...

Does that mean his wife would be "Mademoiselle Nobs"? And would her bark be worse than her bite? (Anyone who seen Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii will understand this joke!;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2010, 23:35

When I bought Platinum in 1979 my copy came with a bonus live LP. The concert was the one with the incredible guitar work on the 11 minute TB part 2. The same one labeled as "Exposed" for whatever its worth.....Maybe I'll download the guldern thing. But Montreux was not the one with this guitar lick.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
pooksahib Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2010, 01:58

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 06 2010, 10:36)
However, if you like it, you're the one who's happy, as we say here in Italy.

Indeed I am.  This Hanover version is exactly what I had on cassette - I wasn't entirely convinced that the Montreux version was the same.  Also, it makes sense that a radio station would be playing it from a CD.  "Complete" was released at the same time as I made my tape recording.  I've found a FLAC version of it to download so that's me doubly happy.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2010, 18:49

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 07 2010, 02:53)

Does that mean his wife would be "Mademoiselle Nobs"? And would her bark be worse than her bite? (Anyone who seen Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii will understand this joke!;)

:laugh::D :laugh: Thanks very much for this joke, D. You're great!

By the way, Mr. Nobs would be Claude Nobs, a.k.a. "Funky Claude" in Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water".

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2010, 00:41

I finally downloaded that file. I put it off because I thought it was the whole album(which I've got multiple copies of). Only 10 megs of live Platinum, moderate quality but still entertaining as I never heard it. Thanks for making that available. Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2010, 07:56

I have another version that was broadcast on The Old Grey Whistle Test from the same tour as Montreux.Awfull sound quality as it's on VHS transferred from Betamax and black and white due to limitations on the transfer.Also the performance isn't very good.Mike's wearing headphones throughout (is it me or does this look really wrong in a live concert?I know on stage monitors weren't what they are now but it seems that the performer is putting a barrier between himself and the audience)and making a lot of mistakes.It's from Germany but that's as much as i know.Any clues?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2010, 18:45

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 07 2010, 18:49)
Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 07 2010, 02:53)

:laugh::D :laugh: Thanks very much for this joke, D. You're great!

By the way, Mr. Nobs would be Claude Nobs, a.k.a. "Funky Claude" in Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water".

Thanks, Ugo - I think you're great too!  :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2010, 18:52

@ Jim/Scatterplot: the mp3 linked above is the same version of "Platinum" as the one featured in The Complete Mike Oldfield. I just found that out. :)

@ Caveman: I guess that at the time it wasn't that unusual for performers to wear quite large headphones when performing live. Roger Waters did wear them all through Pink Floyd's The Wall performances, and Phil Collins also did in various Genesis shows, especially when he was singing while playing drums. However, to tell you the honest truth, I've never heard anyone stating that a performer wearing headphones (or earphones, for that matter) is distancing himself from the audience - after all, in "big" rock shows, performers do already create a huge distance between themselves and the audience simply by being on a stage. Maybe it's only in those shows played in very small clubs with no stage, in front of a hundred people or so, that the distance is reduced. Nevertheless, most performers wear earphones in those shows as well. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:34

It looked like a fairly small venue.I dunno i guess it's just me with the thing with headphones although i read a Pink Floyd book that said the same about Roger Waters at the wall gigs.But then the whole 'concept' behind The Wall shows was about the alienation between the audience and the performers.Just seems that the performer is cacooned in their own world when wearing those big old style headphones.I know that monitors for bigger venues are now mainly earpeices but they are a lot more discreet.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 03:13

Nah it`s not just you Caveman I used to feel the same way.In fact back in the days when I played in a band myself,I remember every member of the band had something negative to say about it.Ugo makes some good points in defence of it I`ll admit,it`s just one of those things that annoys me a little.I can remember watching a Who gig once on tv,where every member of the band except Daltry had a great big walloping set of headphones on.It would`nt have happened in 1966 that`s all I`ll say on the matter.Plus it would`ve left them with even more equipment to replace I guess,after they`d done smashing everything to bits.. "Hey Pete does this sound right on your cans when I ram my hi-hat stand through John`s amplifier" ?
Profile PM 
15 replies since Feb. 05 2010, 15:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net