Romance 3  [5.66%]
Ringscape 3  [5.66%]
Nightshade 5  [9.43%]
Lakme 4  [7.55%]
Cook's tune 2  [3.77%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What song have you played most?, The Shade album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 20:52

The same about this topic, what song have you played most? just that.  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 03:32

If im pushed for time I always play  "Surfing" and TOAA as
a double play.... otherwise its A full Play in Tk Order as
Mike intended !! :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 08:21

I play the whole of "Shade" all at once, and never single out individual tracks. However, I most look forward to Surfing and TOAA.

I didn't know that "Cook's Tune" was attached to "Shade" specifically (as opposed to just being an extra that is released about the same time as L+S).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 08:40

Cook's Tune. :p

Joking aside... CsT sounds more like a 'Light' track than a 'Shade' one, doesn't it? ;) However, the laser beam of my CD player bounces over the grooves of Quicksilver, Romance, Surfing and Ringscape more often than it does on the others. I don't have a particular fav track, but the topic isn't asking for it, is it? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 08:44

No question - Tears of an Angel.  BUT, I am stlll digesting this side of the album so that could change.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 11:05

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 15 2005, 14:40)
Cook's Tune. :p

Joking aside... CsT sounds more like a 'Light' track than a 'Shade' one, doesn't it? ;)

yes i know.. but you know.. only 10 choices  :/   ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 15:37

for me it is a trio: 'slipstream' - 'surfing' - 'tears of an angel'. i can go back to them again and again.  so i've voted for 'slipstream' since it is the one i select to push 'play' and then leave the player running until the end of 'tears...' (then, i can't help pushing 'stop' ).

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 17:06

Yes the trio of Sipstream, Surfing and TOAA is better than the rest of Shade put together.
I voted for Slipstream because of the piano.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 18:53

Nightshade for me...although I like all the other tunes,expect for Romance and Ringscape.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 20:59

Quote (maria @ Nov. 15 2005, 14:37)
for me it is a trio: 'slipstream' - 'surfing' - 'tears of an angel'. i can go back to them again and again.  so i've voted for 'slipstream' since it is the one i select to push 'play' and then leave the player running until the end of 'tears...' (then, i can't help pushing 'stop' ).

Wow, Maria! I do nearly the same thing, with the addition of "Resolution" making it a quartet! I've been working with TOAA Re: dance a bit more, so I had to choose that one.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 22:35

For me it's the quintet - Quicksilver, Resolution, Slipstream, Surfing, TOAA. I put Quicksilver as my no.1 as I find this piece better each time I listen to it - there's one section where I can literally see a wall of mercury 'melting' downwards. Many seem to overlook Quicksilver, maybe because they feel it's a TB rehash but it's overtaken TOAA for me (which was my initial favourite and still is awesome to my ears).  :laugh:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 03:53

I'm not "able" to listen to the Shade CD... I have a strange repulsion... I try this evening!  :O

Andrea
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2005, 11:08

Surfing, certainly...
but in the car a few days ago I played Romance about 5 times in one evening :)
(it did give Mike a new fan; A friend of me, who is 16, liked L&S and bought the album the next day!;)

I also play Nightshade a lot.
MAN,I LOVE LIGHT AND SHADE!!!  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2005, 20:35

I think i have played Surfing all most of them. The song is for me very special. Forexample; on the headphone. Just when the guitar "no dream solo" stream in.... I never get tired of this huge sensitive strong solo. This is what i play first when i have visitors.

let me see..
About 8 of 10 visitors in my home and also with others in they'r home notised the song and said; wow that was a beautiful song, who's that kay?
And im smiling and says; "Ouh, that's Mike Oldfield" he he ;)
Everytime i go for my friends i take a new burned cd to them and give them a tracklist with new songs + mike of course!

But my sencond choice must be Nightshade! Its my favorite song to play everynight before i go asleep.
Tears from an angel is the song i always play after Surfing too.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2005, 16:00

Probably Surfing, but I've also played Resolution and Slipstream a lot.
Profile PM 
El Bosnia Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2005, 11:32

Well, I see that most of us agreed on TOAA. Endeed a fantastic song.
I think the whole album is very good and I always listen to it completely but after I finished I put TOAA again :D

--------------
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering"
"Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 01:16

"Nightshade" and "Lakme" have gotten the most plays from me. I definitely have a special attachment to "Surfing" though, and that moody/trippy passage in the second half is just perfect. That said, I think 'Shade' is a wonderful album, and I can happily listen to the whole thing.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2007, 13:41

According to the numbers, it's "Lakme", which iTunes tells me I've played 265 times. And that's not counting the plays on my iPod.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2007, 21:19

Another song I skip when I play Shade is Slipstream,it's not the Mike Oldfield I've known!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2007, 21:18

For me, it's Romance. I don't know why, but I find a very strong appeal in a track which deals with a breakdown in what is possibly the strongest feeling someone can feel for another. That's closely followed by TOAA and Lakme.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
24 replies since Nov. 14 2005, 20:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net