Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What should I think about that cd< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 16:02

That's right what should I think about that album because some say It is mike's worst album and other taht it is just a pop album.
Today at virgin I was about to buy it but I had a doupt
can you help me???

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 16:23

and those of you who love that album...
inocent live

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 16:28

I don't play it often, but that's only because I have too much to choose from. I don't consider it his worst album. That would be Voyager, Guitars or MB maybe?

But it is more of a pop album - shorter songs, no instrumentals and no surprises.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 19:03

Well, I like it very much - but I like all the others so maybe I also consider it as my least favourite Oldfield-album. But it has its (80's) atmosphere and I sometimes need that.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 19:37

@ Sonilink: I must admit that "Innocent" sounds a little bit empty without the layered-up vocals and all the other effects on the album version. :) Still, every time I see Anita I always have a hard time in convincing myself that she was not a member of ABBA. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 20:25

Well, don't buy 'Earth Moving' unless you're willing to complete your collection. If you've already bought stuff like 'The Millennium Bell', well, go for it. If you haven't... well, consider getting EM first. :) At the very least, you'll have an excellent track with excellent vocals by Adrian Belew. If you listened to "Matte Kudasai", by King Crimson, you know what I'm talking about.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2005, 11:05

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 25 2005, 19:37)
@ Sonilink: I must admit that "Innocent" sounds a little bit empty without the layered-up vocals and all the other effects on the album version.

You're right the version of the dvd is better (I think it's the same as the cd) but on this video Mike has the most beatiful guitar I've ever seen what is it???

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: April 15 2005, 13:10

I baught it and after listening to it I can say that it not as bad as some may say.
Holly, Innocent, Bridge to paradise and blue night are relly great tunes. But still an Instrumental is missing...
I must admit it's not Mike's best record.
@Ugo: thanks for  what said in your post, it gave an idea about what this album was :D  :cool:

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 15 2005, 15:17

Am I the only one who thinks that "Innocent" intentionally sounds like ABBA?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 15 2005, 15:49

To me, "Innocent" always sounded sort of like early Madonna and/or Cyndi Lauper.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 15 2005, 15:50

Definitely not Madonna: that "Lucky Star" era stuff was overwhelmed by a disco beat.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 15 2005, 16:29

Yeah, but there are those more synthy boppy tunes like "Material Girl", and all. That's the kind of thing "Innocent" reminds me of.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: April 15 2005, 17:48

Quote (hiawatha @ April 15 2005, 15:17)
Am I the only one who thinks that "Innocent" intentionally sounds like ABBA?

maybe "dancing queen"

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: April 30 2005, 06:01

Quote (Sonilink @ Mar. 26 2005, 11:05)
Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 25 2005, 19:37)
@ Sonilink: I must admit that "Innocent" sounds a little bit empty without the layered-up vocals and all the other effects on the album version.

You're right the version of the dvd is better (I think it's the same as the cd) but on this video Mike has the most beatiful guitar I've ever seen what is it???

The electric guitar that Mike Oldfield uses on the Elements DVD for "Innocent" is his Red Fender Stratocaster going through a Fender Twin Reverb Amplifier.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: May 09 2005, 08:20

It might not quite be Incantations, but I still love Earthmoving... especially the title track -- Nikki Bentley has a fantastic voice. It took me LOADS of time to get used to the "disco mix" of this one, though...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
pantofis Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 11:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 15 2005, 15:49)
To me, "Innocent" always sounded sort of like early Madonna and/or Cyndi Lauper.

To me "Innocent" has always sounded like Spice Girls
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 13:56

Quote (pantofis @ Feb. 15 2006, 11:31)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 15 2005, 15:49)

To me "Innocent" has always sounded like Spice Girls

that says everything about earth moving :/ Just buy it to complete your collection ,but play it only once and hide it at the back of the cupboard.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 15:15

Or, like me, buy it on CD, remastered CD, LP and cassette and play rather often.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 17:54

OK - here goes again.  remember.... this album was one of the commital albums to Virgin .  possibly when Mike was unhappy (!;) with our Richard (Branson) and the album Heavens open fall into the same category.  Mr Oldfield had to create a certain number of albums in a certain time period.  these I believe were two such albums - he had to make contractually - When he came out of the contract - the first thing he did was tubular bells 2 - note - he didnt tour with either of the albums, Heaven and Earth (or did he and I don't know about it)  - and Yes I did mean to put them together to make that phrase! to me they are a pair.  Lots of history here that we'll hear about in his book no doubt. javascript:emoticon(';)';)  Rgds Ray.

Oh - and a last thought  - Listen to Gimme Back on Heavens open, and also Make Make - they appear to be messages to Richard Branson (or Virgin). Buy it - Mr Oldfield probably doesnt benefit much but  - still it makes the picture more complete.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 11:28

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 15 2006, 23:54)
Listen to Gimme Back on Heavens open, and also Make Make - they appear to be messages to Richard Branson (or Virgin). Buy it - Mr Oldfield probably doesnt benefit much but  - still it makes the picture more complete.

I really think 'Mr Shame' is a respectful and good intentioned approach to Richard Branson, speaking directly to him.

Not like 'Amarok'  :p

Regarding 'Innocent', I agree with Ugo about it sounding very much Abba, but I really thought from the first time I heard Anita's voice that she sounded very much like them.

Specially when she sang 'Arrival'   :/  :cool:  :p  :laugh:

I would say also it is comparable to a Spice Girls situation in which just in one day, two Spice Girls got fired, and the Vicky and another one's places were given to the Abba singers, and Mark Knopfler was just given the writing of the songs, and they just left them two hours to compose and record the song. And fifteen minutes for the video. That would explain it all, except that the video would be performed by Mike and Anita 'cos that day they were in the studio just having finished the 'Pictures in the Dark' one.

Aled Jones went out for some candies.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
19 replies since Mar. 25 2005, 16:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net