Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What Other Books Should Mike Do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 17 2009, 02:47

Quote (wiga @ May 16 2009, 17:39)
Quote (nightspore @ May 16 2009, 07:10)
a case of "the meek will inherit Middle-Earth"!

Off topic for a moment - I have often wondered how the 'meek' would react if they inherited the earth, that is, if meekness is a passive attitude. Would it would be like - "Er, thank you very much for the earth - er, well what do we do with it now?"      :/

Meek,  my Oxford English Dictionary gives the  meaning as  "quiet, silent and obedient".

Yes so maybe once I was meek, but I couldn't get a bloody word in edgeways with my then husband, but now I'm much more vocal.

I don't know what to make of "global warming" , I think it's another excuse for  the government to tax citizens. Global warming    :laugh:  :laugh: , not exactly typical May like weather out there, I think "global cooling" is more appropriate. Saying that I do recycle what i can, and try to be green. This government is like Gollum, no much more sneakier than Gollum, as Gandalf said in LOTR "Gollum will have his part to play for good or ill" Oh yes and Gollum destroyed the ring, but made the ultimate sacrifice himself.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 06:10

I like Lord Of The Rings,and funnily enough I`ve often thought there are some parallels between the way Oldfield & Tolkien kind of view the world as it were.."The Britian I knew is now long gone etc etc.." I mean it`s a view I sympathise with to a certain extent,but I`d like to think it`s not one I wholeheartedly share.Maybe because I hav`nt really got much choice but to stay here and make the best of it I suppose.Anyway they are both great ecapists of course,and Mike paying musical homage to LOTR is something I could`ve seen happening a few years ago maybe.

@Nightspore this article by Michael Moorcock Epic Pooh may interest you.I`m sure it will give you a few laughs in any case.He does`nt pull any punches,that`s for sure.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 07:15

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 16 2009, 21:46)
... I still stand by me suggestion of Catch-22.

This has to be the most bizarre suggestion for a MO project one could imagine (second only to scoring the telephone directory).  Mike's music is pictorial, when it isn't transcending our wicked world; Catch 22 is anything but, with its poignant satire.

Lindsay's A Voyage to Arcturus would be right up his alley; it's a pity that none of you will know this book (it has a cult following, though. My nick, incidentally, is taken from one of the characters, who turns out to be a manifestation of the deity. Lindsay's works were a major influence on both CS Lewis and Tolkien.)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 07:20

Quote (Dirk Star @ May 17 2009, 06:10)
@Nightspore this article by Michael Moorcock Epic Pooh may interest you.I`m sure it will give you a few laughs in any case.He does`nt pull any punches,that`s for sure.

Thanks, Dirk... Actually, I had already read this somewhere. I tend to agree with Moorcock, although his fantasies are hardly better than Tolkien's (except that he pulls no punches when describing gore).
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 20 2009, 11:19

"Narnia" is something i think would work just perfect for his music.
I would love to see how Amarok could work on a movie thought.
But i wonder what movie.................. had to think alittle..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: May 20 2009, 13:40

Did I tell you I'm in the middle of adapting the Marquis de Sade's "Philosophy in the Boudoir" into a concept album?  Oh sorry, wrong thread...

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 03:39

Hey Smillsoid,Lalo Schifrin released a concept album based around the Marquis De Sade.I guess it was more in relation to the man himself though rather than one of his specific works in your case...And how`s about this for an album title??.. Lalo Schifrin:The Dissection And Reconstruction Of Music From The Past As Performed By The Inmates Of Lalo Schifrin`s Demented Ensemble As A Tribute To The Memory Of Marquis De Sade. Or simply TDAROMFTPAPBTIOLSDEAATTTOMDS for short..  :p

It`s a pretty cool album though,one of my favourites of his.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 07:48

Sounds great!  I'll track down a copy.  I'm aware of a few songs based on the 'abstract concept' of the Marquis de Sade, but nothing in the form of a musical interpretation of a specific work, so I think I'm breaking new ground! :D

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 08:48

"The meek shall inherit the earth".....no Daniel you mustn't........stop it..............no don't say it............Oh BUGGER IT "Blessed are the cheesemakers".
Sh*t!!!!!Sorry couldn't stop,myself. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 19:34

Quote (Tubularman @ May 20 2009, 11:19)
"Narnia" is something i think would work just perfect for his music.
I would love to see how Amarok could work on a movie thought.
But i wonder what movie.................. had to think alittle..

I agree. Lewis's books often have the same feel as Linsday's given that he was influenced by Lindsay. I think Prince Caspian in particular would suit MO's type of music; the book is full of a kind of transcendent loss (for example when the children are looking at the ruins of Caer Paravel and realise that they last walked in it hundreds of years ago).
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 25 2009, 18:56

Quote (Dirk Star @ May 17 2009, 10:10)
I like Lord Of The Rings,and funnily enough I`ve often thought there are some parallels between the way Oldfield & Tolkien kind of view the world as it were.."The Britian I knew is now long gone etc etc.." I mean it`s a view I sympathise with to a certain extent,but I`d like to think it`s not one I wholeheartedly share.Maybe because I hav`nt really got much choice but to stay here and make the best of it I suppose.Anyway they are both great ecapists of course,and Mike paying musical homage to LOTR is something I could`ve seen happening a few years ago maybe.

Yep I would have to agree with that, there are some parralells  between the thoughts of Tolkien and Mike.  I fel that the britain I grew up in in the 70's and 80's has long gone. We urrently have the worst government in British history. I'm trying to do this without getting too political, as this isn't about politics. Just been watching a prog on BBC2 about survielance, and how councils and some police forces go over the top.

I do think LOTR could describe the state  of UK politics right now, Blair Brown and Smith are like the "Eye Of Sauron" in Mordor, intruding into peoples lives. Dave Cameron is a bit of a Gollum type creature, for good or ill only time will tell. Oh yes and there's The BNP, the little Hobbits, but how  this army of Hobbits is  growing, and posing a threat to the others.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 17:56

Don Quixote or The lost World

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 19:24

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 16 2009, 21:46)
I absolutely respect people's spirituality as long as it doesn't harm anyone else

That's Catch 23, Sir M. With the possible exception of Buddhism, they all do.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 00:26

"How to win friends and influence people" would be a good one to do.
(Never read it myself :laugh:).

Or how about Memento Mori, .... I think Quietman could do the book justice :cool:
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 03:08

a thousands and one night perhaps?

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 03:22

A Thousand and One Nights? - not heard of that book HL.

Something like Quietman's "Vicious Circles" might suit Nightspore's short stories.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 06:27

Thanks to Wiga and Milamber for their Memento Mori comments, although I think Quietman's gentle lyricism and my intellectually vicious pieces might be at odds with one another. The one exception might be the story "Dreams Never End". The ocean-on-the-summit-of-a-volcano setting of that, incidentally, was probably inspired by Roger Dean's image for Yes's Close to the Edge.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 10:10

If Mike was still creating Ommadawn/Hergest Ridge-type music, Lord of the Rings would be perfect. But he's not.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 10:32

Quote (Syd B @ Dec. 16 2010, 16:10)
If Mike was still creating Ommadawn/Hergest Ridge-type music, Lord of the Rings would be perfect. But he's not.

He would for sure if he did some. I think Mike can do whaterever he proposes himself to do.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 19:31

Quote (Syd B @ Dec. 16 2010, 10:10)

Mike's music deserves something better than that rather silly fairy tale!
Profile PM 
67 replies since May 19 2008, 22:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net