Topic: What Other Books Should Mike Do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HR lover Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 17 2010, 12:42

I agree

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2010, 16:16

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 16 2010, 19:31)
Mike's music deserves something better than that rather silly fairy tale!

Please do not refer to a work of art that has lightened my life and even kept me going in times of depression a silly fairy tale. If you don't like it that's just fine, but don't insult it; by extension you insult me.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 17 2010, 17:16

Nightspore............I'm Standing outside your house shouting "Sourpuss and Grumpyface"  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2010, 17:48

Quote (milamber @ Dec. 17 2010, 17:16)
Nightspore............I'm Standing outside your house shouting "Sourpuss and Grumpyface"  :D

Ha ha, and we all know what Blackadder did then! :)

Syd's comment is rather odd, in that it implies all criticism must end up directed at fans of the criticized work. If you follow that reasoning, anyone who has (for example) said something mean about The Millennium Bell also said something mean about those who are fond of it!

And, like it or not, The Lord of the Rings is a fairy tale. It contains wizards and elves. And it's rather silly because even though it claims to be about the struggle between good and evil, the worst thing the bad guys say is "blimey!"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2010, 05:22

Blackadder, now that's what I call a great show.

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2010, 05:23

Oh and The Millenium Bells is a silly fairytale to me as well.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2010, 06:50

Quote (HR lover @ Dec. 18 2010, 05:23)
Oh and The Millenium Bells is a silly fairytale to me as well.  :D

As far as I know, there are no wizards or elves in TMB. And Mike doesn't once use the word "blimey"  - although Wiga has been known to!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2010, 07:36

Do you regard Pepsi a dwarf? because I do so myself.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2010, 12:25

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 17 2010, 17:48)
Syd's comment is rather odd, in that it implies all criticism must end up directed at fans of the criticized work. If you follow that reasoning, anyone who has (for example) said something mean about The Millennium Bell also said something mean about those who are fond of it!

And, like it or not, The Lord of the Rings is a fairy tale. It contains wizards and elves. And it's rather silly because even though it claims to be about the struggle between good and evil, the worst thing the bad guys say is "blimey!"  :laugh:

Oh, it's a fairy tale, absolutely. But silly?

Perhaps I overreacted. In the anonymous, risk-free vacuum that is the internet it's quite easy to do.

I look at it like this: Art is subjective. You may not like something; everybody has their own tastes. So all you can really do is decide whether a book or painting or piece of music is better than another for you.  

I read a very good quote somewhere, I can't remember who said it or where I read it, but essentially the person was making the point that art of any kind may be created by the artist, but it's put together and realized in the mind of the audience. What you've experienced in your life, what kind of person you are, your "points of reference" if you like determine whether or not the work appeals to you. So to one person John Cage may be the best composer in the world, to another his works make no sense and sound like meaningless noises compiled together.

Additionally, when you insult a work of art, calling it meaningless, or silly, or whatever, are you not by extension saying that those who like it are also meaningless or silly people? They must if this piece of crap appeals to them.

Obviously this is a deep subject that could be debated for a very long time. I could be totally wrong.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2010, 14:01

John Cage is crap.

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 06:41

Sorry I did that, it was a bad day for me when I wrote that.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 07:23

Quote (HR lover @ Dec. 22 2010, 06:41)
Sorry I did that, it was a bad day for me when I wrote that.

I thought it was sort of pithy, actually  :laugh:

Consensus must play a role in art production/evaluation somehow; otherwise a musician could simply assemble random collections of sounds and be content in the knowledge that someone, somewhere would like it. Even on tubular.net there's consensus: the general opinion is that Amarok is Mike's best album and The Killing Fields is the worst. (If anyone dares to say it's not The Killing Fields but The Millennium Bell I'll sic Wiga on to you!
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 09:43

I think the killing fields is wonderful with the film. As a piece of music on its own it's not that good IMO. I think the music should be supported with the film. They never should have made it an lp in the first place IMO.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 16:15

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 22 2010, 12:23)
Even on tubular.net there's consensus: the general opinion is that Amarok is Mike's best album and The Killing Fields is the worst.

I didn't know that - the best and worst Mike Oldfield?

Is your outlook black and white today Nightspore? :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 20:22

Quote (wiga @ Dec. 22 2010, 16:15)
Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 22 2010, 12:23)
Even on tubular.net there's consensus: the general opinion is that Amarok is Mike's best album and The Killing Fields is the worst.

I didn't know that - the best and worst Mike Oldfield?

Is your outlook black and white today Nightspore? :)

Well, Ugo thinks so too! So there.  :p
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 22:50

Well he is devoted then :D
That may be the consensus whilst for me Amarok is his finest albeit the least approachable, only for the hardcores I would gather .

You do get the feeling his best is whatever remix is released at the time and is flavor of the month .

And choosing the KF as worst is a cop out, its a soundtrack to a very depressing film.
And stands alone as a depressing album as a whole, but does have its moments (Like when it ends ;) ).
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 22:51

Well he is devoted then :D
That may be the consensus whilst for me Amarok is his finest albeit the least approachable, only for the hardcores I would gather .

You do get the feeling his best is whatever remix is released at the time and is flavor of the month .

And choosing the KF as worst is a cop out, its a soundtrack to a very depressing film.
And stands alone as a depressing album as a whole, but does have its moments (Like when it ends ;) ).
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 11:10

I am so going to get a reputation for awakening old threads (zombie threads?) but I'm relatively new on here so forgive me.

Mike would be a perfect choice for a themed album (or soundtrack to a film of) one of my favourite weird sci-fi novels, The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman.  

I couldn't even begin to do TCG justice with a synopsis but I will say that that it concerns viruses used as educational tools (what we might understand as "memes" if you like), forbidden pan-species love, genetically engineered humans and running through it all, an obsession with epic, soaring multidimensional music (the book culminates in an epic opera based on Dante's Divine comedy).  If anyone would be a shoo-in to attempt to represent such music, it would be MO.  And since he's "done" instrumental classical (with a smattering of vocals), a grand opera would be the next logical step.

Okay, a grand opera with guitar solos...

Anyone else encountered The Child Garden?

GB
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 20:34

Quote (BornInTheUK @ June 15 2011, 11:10)
I am so going to get a reputation for awakening old threads (zombie threads?) but I'm relatively new on here so forgive me.

Mike would be a perfect choice for a themed album (or soundtrack to a film of) one of my favourite weird sci-fi novels, The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman.  

I couldn't even begin to do TCG justice with a synopsis but I will say that that it concerns viruses used as educational tools (what we might understand as "memes" if you like), forbidden pan-species love, genetically engineered humans and running through it all, an obsession with epic, soaring multidimensional music (the book culminates in an epic opera based on Dante's Divine comedy).  If anyone would be a shoo-in to attempt to represent such music, it would be MO.  And since he's "done" instrumental classical (with a smattering of vocals), a grand opera would be the next logical step.

Okay, a grand opera with guitar solos...

Anyone else encountered The Child Garden?

GB

The book sounds interesting, but I'm a very slow reader. Maybe Ugo could read it and tell me whether I'd like it  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2011, 16:22

I certainly think that Mike would do something with "The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury. He could chose a dozen or so of the stories to "Illustrate", there is plenty to get his teeth into,e.g. THE VELD, THE CITY, MARIONETTE'S INC>

Maybe even my own favourite Sci-Fi book "The Martian Chronicles" also by Ray Bradbury.

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
67 replies since May 19 2008, 22:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net