Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: what is tres lunas?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
goodjob Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 17:52

I just wonder what kind of music tres lunas are?
I also wonder why so many people says that it is the worst MO-album?
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 18:06

I don't think it's terrible, but it is more like "background music" than just about everything he does, and lacks a certain dynamic range.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 21:12

hmm about Tres Lunas. For me it is not just background music, but it also is... he he

Misty

is a nice opening song, he plays the saxo - guitar sound, and with piano. This song is very erhhh.... you know, like a opening to see the tres lunas. This is what i feel when i hear it.

No mans land

well this is a more chill out and repeating theme song. I think it is a bit boring sometimes, and i love more the tres lunas 2 bootleg. It
haves a much better version.

Return to the orgin

is looovely. This is one of my favorites and its like a jorney.

Landfall

is a wonderful piano leading song with the guitar.

Viper

This one is a strong track on the album to. I love how it goes and the way the efffects and strange sounds live in it.

Turtle Island

Nice nice guitar song with chill. You really got the see and beach feeling here. This is summer for me.

To be free

many hates it, but i do love it. I like the way she talks and how mike turns it to sing and everything. Good song. makes me happy when im down.

Firefly

a light song with many sounds and effects. This is close to the game. A little song with some nice pearls.

Tres Lunas

This is the song Tres lunas. I looooove it. My favorite nr 1 on this album,. the track, the chill style, the rythmn.
Good song to play guitar with.

Daydream

back to the piano.
lovely piece with a little sad guitar. I think this have the bit when he plays the guitar back.

Thou art in heaven

Good song, but i miss the piece where the drums comes in in more up tempo.
But without it i like it anyway. The voice of the sister sally and the little heavy drum rythm is good and lovely.

Sirius

winds and sounds in the beginning and then, the piano. This makes you feel the atmosphere on a star or moon. Sirius is a star?? or is it a planet? im not sure........
But you are quite sure not in a city he he
wonderful...

No mans land (reprise)

well many do complain on this. me to!!
I love really everything with this song. But it so wrong with the saxophone sound!!! shame...
But after that terrible moment the song is amazing!
a really good guitar solo!!

---------

A good album i think it is, but in some sort way i think it is like
Guitar. The song are quite short and they a simpel in a nice way of course. And it works well to be a background album. But also a good listen when you lie at the beach, realxing, meditate, sleep, or just want to play something.
it needs alot of bass!!
My charcter on this 1 - 10 is  7

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 21:16

i really dont understand this FAT WRITING type....
can someone explain?

I want the titel to be fat like this
and the writing under normal

LANDFALL
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

:/

:) please help me :music:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 04:20

Quote (Tubularman @ Oct. 01 2006, 02:16)
can someone explain?

LANDFALL
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

I'm not sure what you're doing, TM, but it looks as though you're not cancelling the 'bold' instruction. I presume that this is what you want?:

LANDFALL
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

To do that you need to type:
(b)LANDFALL(/b)
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

except you have to use SQUARE brackets, not curved ones. (I can't use square brackets here or they'd be interpreted as a 'bold' instruction.)

Alternatively you can  click the B button, and then click it again when you get to the end of the section you want to be bold, so...

Click B, then type 'WINDFALL', then click B* before you continue in normal type.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 04:42

Quote (goodjob @ Sep. 30 2006, 22:52)
I just wonder what kind of music tres lunas are?
I also wonder why so many people says that it is the worst MO-album?

The way people respond to Tr3sLunas depends not wholly, but to a great extent, on the way they respond to Mike's virtual reality game, Tr3s Lunas.

The really important thing to remember about the Tr3s Lunas music is that it wasn't composed in isolation, just as a piece of music. It was composed in a complex way, in which the process of composition interacted with the process of creating the virtual world, and each process modified the other. In order to appreciate the music fully, I think you need to have spent some time getting involved with playing the game. This changes your response to the music, because forever afterwards, mental images from the game enhance the enjoyment of the music.

Although it's true that the Tr3sLunas music (or rather, remixed extracts from it) was released as an audio album which could be played on its own, it's artistically significant that it was released with a demo CD of the game. I think Mike always regarded the Tr3sLunas project as a coherent whole. And so, if you just listen to the music, with no experience of the game, you are only getting a small portion of Mike's artistic creation. And that's why many people think it's one of his worst albums. But I firmly believe that the entire Tr3s Lunas project is one of his greatest achievements.

So, for a whole series of rather complicated reasons, I love the Tr3s Lunas music. And I have no problems with the 'saxophone', because it isn't a saxophone. It's a new instrument, with a different mode of expression - a saxotar.

You can find out more about the game here, where we're creating a guide to the virtual world of Tr3s Lunas. And you can browse through a selection of images from the game (reduced in size) here.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 18:28

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 01 2006, 10:20)
Quote (Tubularman @ Oct. 01 2006, 02:16)
can someone explain?

LANDFALL
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

I'm not sure what you're doing, TM, but it looks as though you're not cancelling the 'bold' instruction. I presume that this is what you want?:

LANDFALL
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

To do that you need to type:
(b)LANDFALL(/b)
ehfapsufhsdvhusdhusifhsf
nsfgnfdnsfhn
sfgnsfgnfgn

except you have to use SQUARE brackets, not curved ones. (I can't use square brackets here or they'd be interpreted as a 'bold' instruction.)

Alternatively you can  click the B button, and then click it again when you get to the end of the section you want to be bold, so...

Click B, then type 'WINDFALL', then click B* before you continue in normal type.

let me try
and everything is normal?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 18:28

thanks  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 09 2007, 15:43

Wow! *kisses Tres Lunas* Wow wow wow. When I first popped it in, I thought 'I know this tune from Light & Shade. That's sooooo cool!' Part of why I love L&S so much is due to its sensuality, and that quality is here, too. And when I got to "Tres Lunas"... well, the term 'eargasm' comes to mind. I'm loving this album!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 09 2007, 16:47

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 09 2007, 20:43)
Wow! *kisses Tres Lunas* ... well, the term 'eargasm' comes to mind. I'm loving this album!

Steady there, Sweatpea, steady now!

It may be dangerous to tell you this, but there are two other Tr3sLunas albums, made as fan projects based on the music files extracted from the game. One is by Brandon Blume, called "Tr3s Lunas II"; and the other is by Marcus Junglas, called "Return to the Origin". You need both, because they adopt entirely different approaches to the welding together of the music files. And they are both freely available, except ... at this moment I can't find links from which they might be downloaded. Can't find TLII on Brandon's website for some reason.

Can anyone point Sweatpea to download links for these two wonderful pieces of music?

[Later] Ah! I've found TLII on Brandon's website. Go here, and double-click 'Music', then 'Other hosted music', then finally, 'Tr3s Lunas II'.

Still haven't found a link to 'Return to the Origin' though.
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 02:54

I love Tres Lunas!  I bought it when my wife and our Golden Retriever Ben were on a caravan holiday near Skegness. we had a lovely relaxing holiday and a typical evening  consisted of  a walk up the beach to the pub, have a couple of drinks then wander back and play cards and drink wine whilst listening to Tres Lunas.  Ben has since died aged six through cancer, so listening to it sometimes makes me happy, sometimes sad. But I still love it.

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 05:32

I have always been a fan of Tr3s Lunas. It's a wonderful album.

It was marketed as a 'chill-out' album, and that's exactly what it is - nothing complicated or epic; just simple, beautiful melodic pieces, perfectly combining synths with Mike's guitar playing. It has several great song on it. Granted, it may not have the same lasting appeal of some of Mike's other albums, but I never understood why so many people unfairly attacked it.

It's an album you can play in the background at dinner, or in the car or on the headphones when travellling - I find that's where it works best.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 05:33

...and I'll add to that, that I've never played the game, since I work on a mac. I always thourhg it was a shame it was PC only. So I've never had that experience.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 02:14

Quote (Alan D @ July 09 2007, 16:47)
Steady there, Sweatpea, steady now!

:laugh: Good of you to be concerned, Alan.

I was pressed for time but eager to share my excitement, which - in hindsight - probably should have been tempered as my words came out pervier than intended. :O

But, yes, I'm enjoying Tres Lunas and, thanks to you, Tres Lunas II and Return to the Origin (which is linked within the text of the Tres Lunas II download page). The news that there was more than what was on the CD was very welcome; it all makes for a uniquely satisfying experience.

I have to confess I was only familiar with a handful of themes, in game context, since I still haven't gotten far in my playing sessions. I keep speeding out of control and careening into objects or barriers. In the past, I'd had no problem travelling from Alliance to Horde territory dispatching mobs of giant spiders along the way, but - man - put me on a pink guitar, and WATCH OUT.

BTW, my latest MO acquisitions won't fit on my CD cabinet - there's no room left! I may need a seperate rack just for him. But then, from there, it would be a small matter to build a little MO shrine. Where does one draw the line, I ask you??  :O

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 02:23

CuNimb, it's wonderful that you have such a lovely memory attached to the music.

AlexS, your mention of "Chill Out" has reminded me that I was unfamiliar with that categorization until I started researching the Light & Shade album. Either it's not commonly used here in the U.S. or I just don't mingle in hep circles.

--------------
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 05:37

My wife isn't a big fan of Mike Oldfield's music (with the excep. of Incantations & TSODE), so I was a bit hesitant playing this on the hi-fi in the dining room. But surprisingly she loved it for the most part, especially when we're playing board games, or reading - it makes for very relaxing "background" music and everything is at peace with the world :)
Profile PM 
15 replies since Sep. 30 2006, 17:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net