Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What is the Caveman supposed to be doing..., Mysterious noises< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2005, 19:22

What is Mike, as the Caveman (or Piltdown Man), supposed to be doing in Mandolin Reprise 1, 2, 3 from 37:47 to 37:55? I hear lots of strange noises in there... clicking, whirring, paper rustling, a jew's harp... and the Caveman shouting. Just what's he shouting about? :)

Also, what's he saying when he gets the phone call? I always heard that as "What?!? Now! Hello!", but, of course, it may also be something entirely different! :) :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2005, 20:22

With the telephone ringing, I always thought that Ol' Piltie was all in a rage over telemarketers. I know I feel like that when they call.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2005, 22:11

I hear "Phone! Go!" there.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2005, 18:58

Thanks, Hiawatha and Holger. Have you any ideas about what happens in the Mandolin Reprise 1, 2, 3 section, and, as Tubularman wonders in another topic, about why is he banging so hard on the door just before the Boat section ? ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2005, 19:25

According to my transcription, it's "one". :) But of course, I'm not sure.
However, the Intermission part is quite exact. Unfortunately, only the left and right sides as the middle text is still a mystery... Mike must tell us the reason for living there. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2005, 19:43

"One" for the Mandolin Reprise is quite a good attempt IMHO, though what the Caveman is doing there is still unclear to me. :)
About the phone call, at first listening I was rather convinced that it was "One! Two! Now!", but upon closer inspection, the first word sounds more like "Wha'!" with no final consonant sound at all. :)

P.S.: Another thing I've always heard differently from your very accurate transcription is "Torn" vs. "Tone". But of course I may be wrong. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2005, 19:57

AFAIK, there isn't much difference between the pronounciation of "Torn" and "Tone" but tell me if there is. :) So I chose the one that had more to do with music.

In the first case you really can't hear the final consonant of "Wha*" but in the second case it seems to be there.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2005, 20:12

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 19 2005, 01:43)
though what the Caveman is doing there is still unclear to me. :)

The machine that had played/generated the music wrecked so someone had to repair it. And at 38:31 you can hear that he succeeded. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2005, 04:28

It sounds like 'Wha...?' to me too; but I thought the last one sounded like 'No!' I could never make any sense out of them but ended up assuming it was intended to be something like:
'What? Now? No!'
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2005, 16:54

@ EeToN: of course there's no difference between the pronunciation of 'Torn' and 'Tone'. But Brian Farrell's Amarok Analysis (the place that I took 'Torn' from) hints at the fact that the title of that section (Green Green) and the word 'Torn' referred to nature being torn. :) Of course I have no idea whether or not Mike intended that word to have any meaning at all. :)

Also, thanks a lot for the explanation of the funny noises - although, concerning this, I never really thought that the music generator in Amarok could be a machine; I thought it was generated by the golden statue in the story. ;) But maybe the machine which makes the funny noises is the one used to speed up the music. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2005, 18:55

There's a fair difference between 'torn' and 'tone', the same as between 'born' and 'bone' (the first being an 'aw' sound, as in 'dawn', the second an 'oh' sound - with British standard English pronunciation). It doesn't sound like either of those to me - I'd say it's something closer to 'time' (sounds like 'tine' actually, and occasionally even like 'turn', but never 'torn' or 'tone').
I think that's one for the Lyrics and Language area if you want to take it any further.

In the phonecall section, I'd say it's "Go on! Talk! Hello?". The words 'go on' are slurred together, making it sound almost like 'gwan'.

I think the word in mandolin reprise is 'run' - you can hear the R quite clearly when it's first said (at normal speed) at the beginning of that section. I don't really think the caveman is meant to be doing anything other than saying that word to contribute to a sound collage, but you can of course interpret all sorts of things into it!
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2005, 19:20

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 20 2005, 00:55)
I think the word in mandolin reprise is 'run'

You convinced me. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Zander Offline

Posted: May 10 2005, 11:43

The phone conversation...I hear it as "What?! No!! No!!"

Zander
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2014, 04:44

I think when Mike get's around to the Amarok deluxe version, he should answer all the various questions posed about Amarok, like the weird sounds and voices, maybe he should make a documentary to go with the re-release because for such an amazing album, there is still a lot of un-answered questions, and not many comments from Mike about the album either.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 17 2005, 19:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net