Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: WHAT is that song (or video??)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Shaw Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2000, 23:30

'Lo...

Years and years ago, I remember this video bein' played on vh1. I'm pretty sure it was Mike O. video. The song has been playin' in my head for awhile, but I can't remember it's name or what it was...

All I remember was:
The video had fireworks in it.
There was this large guy standin' in front of the fireworks singing "I have seen..." something something something.
There was a lot of 80's blue screen effects.

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe it wasn't Mr. Tubular bells, maybe it was. I know it sounds like a weird trip, but it was a real video. Any one willin' to help?

-thanks,
Shaw
Profile PM WEB 
rumester Offline

Posted: July 06 2000, 16:42

I think the video you're referring to is Pictures In The Dark. It's the only one I can think of, that has any fireworks.
Apart from that, Mike is shown from the bottom so he looks a bit tall (what he is not !!) smile.
Also the lyrics Mike mimes ('cause they're actually sang by Barry Palmer) says something like "Pictures In The Dark I see" so in some way, it matches the description you gave.

Hope that helps

Rume
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2000, 19:24

Mike is not tall? I always thought he would be, not exactly a giant, but certainly not small either. So how tall is he?
I know this is a really unimportant question, but then, we are posting unimportant questions all the time here, aren't we? wink
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 16 2000, 20:49

If I remember well, he is no taller than 1m70. Maybe 1m67.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2000, 18:45

I dreamed about him the other day and I can't ell you he´s no taller than 1'70. I´m +/- 1´80 and I was one head taller.

But...

Is that your thought of saving the world, throwing these nonsense questions?

I want to say hello to my mum. Hi!

So be careful! mad

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2000, 06:55

I'm 1'87. It's rather hard to imagine Mike standing next to me...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2000, 18:14

Seems like we're going slightly off topic here, aren't we? smile

Anyway I'd like to post a comment about something that Rumester said:

"Also the lyrics Mike mimes ('cause they're actually sang by Barry Palmer) says something like "Pictures In The Dark I see"

Rumester, are you sure that it's Barry Palmer singing ALL of the times that phrase on the record? Maybe the first two or three times it's him, but after the guitar solo that kind of half-hysterical shouting-singing smile smile sounds just like Mike to me. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2000, 23:24

Ugo, il mio piccolo amico, let me tellya-although I'm not Rumester- that Mike isn´t credited as a singer on the maxi-single 'Pictures in the Dark'. I think that´s enough for knowing that it´s Barry singing.

Anyway, maybe It´s true what I said, that may B. that they couldn't find Barry for the video, and it´s just a little silly to listen to a voice while there's no1 singing!!! mad

Nice to talk to you and regards from Maggie Really!! tongue

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 13:48

Barry did say that those parts were all him singing...I guess he should know, although he might be mistaken...

I think he recorded the parts quite a long time before the video was made, so it's possible that Mike had lost touch with Barry, or had argued or something by the time the video was made, meaning that barry wouldn't come and appear in the video (or Mike didn't want him to...). So Mike did it instead...
Profile PM 
sunjammer Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2001, 16:45

OK....for us "un-metric" Americans, can anyone translate what 1.70m tall is into feet and inches??? I do very well with litres and kilometers, but I'm still not very good with height. Someday......
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2001, 11:24

Like you, aproximatedly... biggrin

No, I think it´s a medium height... not so tall...

--------------
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 08 2001, 15:06

1 in is approx. 25.4 mm, so 1.70 m is approx. 5 ft 6 1/2 in.
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2001, 05:00

Excuse me for being incredibly anal, but:

1,67m = 5'5¾"
1,7m = 5'7"
1,73m = 5'8"

So, relatively average height then. I am about 5'11" (1,8m)

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 14:54

I got (downloaded) the extended version of "Pictures In The Dark" and Mike is definitely singing there at the and! But I don't know about the normal version. By the way, Mike sings in several songs where he is NOT credited as vocalist. As far as I know, only on "Heaven's open" he is. He usually sings just one verse or he sings with Barry Plamer together. (Listen to Discovery to hear what I mean).
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 15:21

It does sound like Mike, but Barry Palmer says it's him...so what do we believe? Maybe Mike replaced Barry's parts with himself singing, and which Barry didn't listen to very hard and so thought it was his vocals and Mike was just miming on the video...Maybe the parts are layered, with Barry and Mike singing together, so it can sound like either of them depending who's listening...Or maybe there's a completely different reason...
Profile PM 
FMO Offline

Posted: April 13 2001, 06:28

Thanks Shaw for this topic, because i have always wondered how tall Mike was! (And thanks to all the non-topic replys) biggrin

FMO
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 14 2001, 00:53

I think that Barry did some backing vocals on the song, while Mike probably sang that solo bit. That's probably the reason for the confusion.

That's my theory at least.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 14 2001, 19:34

That's the conclusion Ugo and I came to. It even sounds like Mike singing in that part.

What we can be sure of is that Barry did sing many of the parts of the song, probably even a lead vocal which was later replaced with Anita's voice, and I guess also the 'pictures in the dark I see' bit which Mike then replaced with his own vocals.

All that confuses the issue is the fact that Barry stated categorically that it was him singing that part and Mike is just miming to it. Perhaps he was confused, who knows...
Profile PM 
17 replies since June 27 2000, 23:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net