Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What is Oxo?, What does Don Alfonso work for?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 19:48

Hearing again Don Alfonso, (on the Comprehensive Singles collection posted by Spinne), after a somewhat long time, made a question arise in my mind. I don't remember whether I already asked it here; if I did, please bump me to the thread where I did,  and where it was answered... if it was. :D

On "Don Alfonso", David Bedford sings: "I'm Don Alfonso, I work for Oxo". Not being English, I don't know what Oxo is. A canned meat firm, maybe? :) I remember being in London on holiday in 2005, and seeing a big OXO sign while having a boat tour on the Thames, so it must obviously be something very popular... :)

So: what is Oxo? Am I right in my hypotesis above?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 21:47

You're close - Oxo is a brand of stock cube, the beef kind being the most famous.

The Oxo tower in London was built by the stock cube company in the late 1920s. They wanted to include advertising on the sides, but permission was refused, so they had the architect design some windows in a geometric design of two rings with a cross in between...which of course just happens to spell out Oxo.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 03:06

thank heavens you don't have to explain "thumbs up bona".  LOL
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 05:12

@ Korgscrew: thank you. ;) As soon as I first saw that tower, I couldn't help reading the geometrical pattern as OXO (not as oh-ex-oh) even though it looked very like a vertical row from a noughts-and-crosses game. :) I even took a pic of it... all the other people on the boat were taking pics of St. Paul's cathedral (or whatever was on the other side of the river...), I took a pic of the Oxo tower just because of the song. :D Sadly I didn't have a digital camera back then, so the pic is gone...

@ Captainjjb: he (or I) doesn't (or don't) have to explain that because I know what that means. I'm Italian. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
3 replies since Feb. 15 2008, 19:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net