Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What is Love< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 27 2009, 16:20

I still, nearly a decade on now, rather like, ( love, even ) this entire album...as controversial as it may be to some. It has always been a positive experience for me, listening to each track and then thinking about the album as a whole. I think it was a wonderful idea to mark the end of one Millennium and open the door for the next. I can't think of many, if any, other artists that did such a thing. And one track that stands out for me, is Mastermind..and in that track the phrase " what is Love ? " always catches my ear.

As each year passes and I grow older, I find myself wondering more and more about what it means to be alive..to exist. It's not an easy thing to consider - very hard to put into words - but one idea I keep coming back to is 'love'. Love is key to our existence. It shapes our lives, it can determine our motives sometimes, it can establish a state of mind, it can make us act irrationally , it could even be said to be the very reason why we each have made an appearance on earth. It re-occurs throughout our lives in many guises and it is always breathtakingly powerful, irresistible and unforgettable.

It is something that, as human beings we all experience and in doing so it connects us on many levels. The most commonplace things like birth and death and love move us all. With birth it's like the discovery of love - of realising your capacity to love another person - of sensing the future maybe  ( ? ). Of sharing, protecting, teaching & learning.
With death it's like an understanding of what love was now that the person is gone and of sensing the past. The power of memory, and learning to accept a permanent change or alteration in life.
And the state of 'being in love' is a strange but nonetheless wonderful phenomena that people have struggled for years to explain and understand - where everything seems more real, alive, intense - and it could be said to be like sensing the present, the actual 'now' in time.

Love makes things happen, it selects the next generation !  it inspires, motivates, it drives. It can be tough, beautiful, inexplicable, painful, nourishing, and above all always powerful .

So to think about life as being about love is not far off, I don't think. Searching and understanding, asking questions, feeling the reality of now, remembering the past and of glimpsing the future. A loveless world is hard to imagine for anyone.

And every time I hear that track it makes me think more... wondering if any one else has any ideas on this?

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 27 2009, 19:31

Bee what a beautiful synopsis! love is something we all feel as a woman, man, mother, father, child, adolescent adult, the experiences are very different but produce love in its kaliedoscope of hues,it transcends and defies the rational, deb
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 28 2009, 13:55

Oh - I doubt it's as controversial as one may think to like (or love even) TMB.

I would agree that LOVE is the major theme conveyed throughout the whole album. Love in it's many forms - love as in romance, family, the spiritual and nurture, pride, fascination, admiration, grief, tolerance, endurance, the love of our God, the love a creator feels for it's creation, the gift of existence. It's all conveyed here from start to finish.

A pretty marvelous achievement IMO, particularly as it was composed for the Millennium.

Group hug moment :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 28 2009, 17:04

The Flaming Lips have addressed that fundamental question in very rich and interesting ways on The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Wayne Coyne has a way of addressing love evading the deadly clichés, attacking the problem from very different angles and reaching very simple, resonant conclusions. And I have a huge share of agreement with his sentiments. Love is hard to understand because it's fatally simple. There's no mysticism to it: it's chemicals. It's electricity. The more we distance ourselves from it, the harder it is to understand. The key is to look closely at it: it's a human feeling. It is what it is, something that's beyond our control, like our heart beats, like the synapses between our braincells, like hunger, like thirst. We have constructed our whole existence on the concept of love, and that's just how it should be. It's simple, right and natural.

Baby don't hurt me...
Don't hurt me...
No more...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 29 2009, 01:08

You can learn to live without it if you have to. Empty as that sounds. I think survival, even if you have no emotional support/emotional safety net, is more important. Scotty on STNG(survived in a pattern buffer for 75 years) said it best, "There comes a time in a man's life when he knows he can't fall in love again. He knows it's time to stop."

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 29 2009, 03:49

Hey jim how true is that! many fall in love but its not the same as true love, if ever it existed? camus and his writings of the absurdity of life, striving for an ideal that can be written and sung about, but barely realised, in our lifetime,deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 05:55

:p ok ok, i confess i am a real softie and romantic at heart and love the album, philosophy has not got all the answers, sing it again my love, deb
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 06:13

Quote (ex member 419 @ April 30 2009, 05:55)
:p ok ok, i confess i am a real softie and romantic at heart and love the album, philosophy has not got all the answers, sing it again my love, deb

Maybe that's the key - only the "real softies" love TMB!

I put my hands up (in a manly way) and spit in the spitoon.

< Walks away like a cowboy>

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 11:37

I am a softie. When I want to. I mean, I went all tears with Sigur Rós more than once -- heck, even with Stereolab. And no, The Millennium Bell is not even close to touching me. You did it in the WRONG YEAR, Mike! Damn, man. You spelled "millennium" correctly, but got the year wrong! I'm gonna cry!

See? Softie. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 18:18

@ Sir M., off topic and just out of curiosity: what Sigur Rós track(s) made you cry? Don't tell me it was "Glósoli" ! :D

(And what is a blag? Is it a blog where one goes blah-blah-blah? :laugh:)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 21:26

Quote (Ugo @ May 01 2009, 00:18)

Continuing with off topic -related, unrelated...

The blag. Love it. Much stuff in detail. But like Ugo I wonder what it means, the word blag?

Thanks to Urban Dictionary I'm now even more confused.  :laugh:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blag
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 22:39

Quote (Ugo @ April 30 2009, 18:18)
@ Sir M., off topic and just out of curiosity: what Sigur Rós track(s) made you cry? Don't tell me it was "Glósoli" ! :D

All Alright. On first listens, I was wondering what exactly the words referred to. I figured it was a pretty personal account from Jónsi himself, but the words were vague enough to give margin to interpretation. And in one listen, for some reason I had an image of a little kid who did something bad (broke a vase, or something) and was afraid of telling his dad, until he eventually finds the courage to do so and receives -- instead of a punishment -- a word of comfort, a hug, and a moment of peace. It fucking tore me down.

It also happened with the video of Viðrar vel til loftárása, which I had watched a couple of times before. And in case you're wondering, the Stereolab example is Feel and Triple, with words by Lætitia Sadier dedicated to Mary Hansen, who had suffered a tragic death 2 or 3 years before. "As much as I don't want / I have to say goodbye". Is there any more direct and disarming way to put it?

Haha, that's a great way to put it. But, yeah, "blag" is just stolen from xkcd, specifically a comic that shows the author's pleasure in intentionally mispronouncing words. That's just what the first article on the Urban Dictionary entry talks about.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 01 2009, 07:31

@ Sir M. and always off topic: "All Alright" has always sounded to me like a very dark, moody track. With Sigur Rós, I generally care much less about what Jónsi sings (be it English, Icelandic or Hopelandic) than I do care about the overall mood of the song. That's why songs like ""Við spilum endalaust" on their latest album (which someone on another forum has called 'a cheap and chirpy Coldplay imitation' - I don't agree... :D) sound to me extremely cheerful and uplifting no matter what the lyrics say [he could be talking about death, as far as I know - it has no importance to me!], and songs like "All Alright" and "Viðrar vel til loftárása" sound to me very dark. On the other hand, having actually read the lyrics to "All Alright" (or at least the various fans' interpretations of them), I do know that the song is intended as peaceful and conforting. But to me it doesn't sound like that. It sounds dark.

About "blag", I wasn't aware of the existence of that webcomic. I thought it was a portmanteau (and I also thought portmanteaus had died with Lewis Carroll until I learnt what Bollywood was... :D); after having seen the webcomic, I still think that my interpretation is better, because after all a blog is nothing but a way to go blah-blah-blah on the Internet and have people read your blah-blah-blahs. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 01 2009, 21:22

:p lol ugo and sir m, we are all suffering from the softie blahs, resulting in hilarious blags! 1 2 3..,what is love?! deb
Profile PM 
13 replies since April 27 2009, 16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net