Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What happened on Sep 18th?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 11:18

On the index page of the forum it says this:

"Most users ever online was 85 on Sep. 18 2007, 17:30"

What happened on Sep 18th? And why 17.30?
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 11:57

Sep 17th, or Sep 18th? Make up your mind!  ;)

IIRC, the presentation of MOTS in Berlin was on September the 18th, so I would say there's something.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 12:06

Quote (Trinidad @ Oct. 03 2007, 16:57)
Sep 17th, or Sep 18th? Make up your mind!  ;)

Ha!! Well, 0/10 for accuracy for me!

September 18th, people. Sorry!

IIRC, the presentation of MOTS in Berlin was on September the 18th, so I would say there's something.

Ok, that's an event. Even an Event. Or an Event. But was it an EVENT to draw such huge crowds here, like none before? Anyone know what the previous record was, and when and why?
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 12:40

Well, thanks to TubularBelle, another record (I'm not sure if the previous one, but I think it was) was on Dec/08/2004. I find Korgscrew's guess about the launch of the Elements DVD quite acceptable.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 14:08

Quote (Trinidad @ Oct. 03 2007, 11:57)
Sep 17th, or Sep 18th? Make up your mind!

Maybe it was a weekend-long MO binge? Maybe somebody hosted a massive potluck/sleepover for all the MO fans in their town? Picture it - candles, paper airplanes, handcut tubular bell chain streamers, cheese, and possibly other substances. Then there would be games and events such as sing-a-longs, air-guitar competitions, 'Pin the Celtic Cross on the Voyager Man', and breaking TubularBoard's 'most users ever online' record. You can't fit all that into one day, you know.

I do recall seventy visitors around mid-July earlier this year. I made mention of it in the news-thread on the Second Life 'Changeling' book discussion event. I don't think my surmise was ever confirmed or denied.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 15:55

It says 18th now ;)

I put up two news items on that day, one about the Night Of The Proms DVD release and one about the sale of one of Mike's motorbikes. Neither were of course huge stories, but their appearance might have contributed to the large number of visitors (a lot of people do seem to like to come and browse through the comments on the news stories even though they're not forum members). There was indeed also the event in Berlin, so people may well have come looking for reports on that.

There are generally quite a lot of guests browsing round here at the moment - there are 20 online as I write this, plus 7 members, which no doubt helps contribute to those figures.

However, we are also getting a huge amount of registration requests from spam robots at the moment. I sifted through 50 or so the other day (I haven't looked to see how many are there today...), which wouldn't have been more than a day's worth. They would show up as guests while they're accessing the forum and may be what's contributing to the high figures.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 16:30

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 03 2007, 20:55)
It says 18th now ;)

Amazing what you can do with a single wave of that Administrative Tubular Wand. Thank you.

we are also getting a huge amount of registration requests from spam robots at the moment.

I suppose Light and Shade is probably responsible for those mechanistic registration requests. Spam robots must be attracted to music composed on computers, like moths to flames?
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 04 2007, 04:40

It would probably help if ikonboard had a CAPTCHA on the registration form... explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Those do a very good job of stopping spam registrations (although you'd still get the guests).  Does ikonboard get updated anymore?  vbulletin is so much nicer, IMO...  :cool:

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2007, 15:52

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 03 2007, 15:55)
I put up two news items on that day, one about the Night Of The Proms DVD release and one about the sale of one of Mike's motorbikes. Neither were of course huge stories, but their appearance might have contributed to the large number of visitors (a lot of people do seem to like to come and browse through the comments on the news stories even though they're not forum members). There was indeed also the event in Berlin, so people may well have come looking for reports on that.

That makes sense. I hadn't considered all the people who only visit for the news items. I've just discovered there is a 'track this forum' feature. I assume an email is sent to announce any new news threads?

It's a shame about the robot spammers. How tedious that must be!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 04 2007, 19:51

I think in a way it's more a slight worry than really being tedious - I can do it quite quickly, but there's the worry that when I do that, I'll end up throwing out someone important...it hasn't happened yet though, as far as I know.

We did have a kind of captcha system in place for a while; it might be time to bring back a more advanced version of it.

Ikonboard has been updated fairly recently, but Olivier's waiting for v3.2 before he upgrades, due to some of the complexities of transferring this particular installation across (it's a bit more than a case of just installing the new one). From my experience with vBulletin, I'd say it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. It's always worth keeping all the different options in mind, of course, but at the end of the day we have to go with what causes us (and particularly Olivier) the least trouble...which might not always be the most sexy solution.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 17:22

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 04 2007, 19:51)
there's the worry that when I do that, I'll end up throwing out someone important...it hasn't happened yet though, as far as I know.

Yes, though I hope any real MO fans wouldn't let a little "throwing out" stop them. I suppose if I'd been denied membership (and after a bout of tearful 'But I'm not a baaaaad sort, really!') I might have emailed the administration. For all I knew, there may have been exam questions to qualify me for Tubular-hood.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 13:27

Most users ever online was 134 on Mar. 08 2008, 05:25

I notice there was a flood of visitors in the wee (for me) hours of the morning. That explains the upturned furniture, the empty cookie jar, and the general air of rumpledness. Unless it was a "tipsy wipsy" Harmono??

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 03:31

Most users and robots ever online was 247 on April 04 2008

Do 'bots reproduce?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 18:28

@ Sweetpea: I don't know whether they do or not, but, after watching this, I wouldn't say that a negative answer to your questiion was necessarily the right answer... :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 10 2008, 06:42

I really like that video, Ugo. I hadn't seen it before, so thanks for sharing it. Though observing closely (for purely intellectual purposes, mind! ), I noticed that both participants appeared to be of the feminine persuasion. Do the males remain in 'charging' mode until needed, or do 'bots have a different method for making little 'bot'lings?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 10 2008, 07:34

@ Sweetpea: the bots in the Björk video are both females, indeed they're both Björk! :D Apart from that, I haven't the faintest idea on how bots generate their offspring. :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 10 2008, 12:33

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 10 2008, 11:42)

do 'bots have a different method for making little 'bot'lings?

Maybe they`re manufactured in a bot`ling plant?

Do the males remain in 'charging' mode until needed,

Isn`t it always the way with these things?That Automated Society should be seen to mirror the failings of the autonomous...Blimey that`s give me a bit of a headache wrestling with that one,I better go and have a lie down.    :zzz: ...Mmm dreamy images of Bjork robots in bikinis washing down my car...Hey! You`ve missed a spot there....snore!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 19 2008, 01:50

Quote (Dirk Star @ May 10 2008, 12:33)
do 'bots have a different method for making little 'bot'lings?

Maybe they`re manufactured in a bot`ling plant?

:laugh: Dirk, that one gets a five-star rating from me.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 19 2008, 05:11

oh not....not again..... :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 19 2008, 15:56

Quote (Ugo @ May 05 2008, 23:28)
@ Sweetpea: I don't know whether they do or not, but, after watching this, I wouldn't say that a negative answer to your questiion was necessarily the right answer... :D

Hmmm - That looked more like Rub-bot-ics than Robotics!

Bjorking mad she is!

R    :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
39 replies since Oct. 03 2007, 11:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net