Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What happened on Sep 18th?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 10:21

My post yesterday, done on the mobile and on the move, took an ungodly amount of time to finish (so easy to lose everything with the exit browser key, and had to paste it all from my Notes in four chunks - three times...) but it gave me the perfect angle on another little bit of Tubular Net history.  So it's 97 now!  Yay!!!  But how?!  And why?!!!

Well, as near as I could tell, noone was posting around 08:22, Tubular Net Time, but 'twas a busy-ish day for posts.  The overall visits tally stayed high, as it has done recently - we hit a relative high on the announcement of Incantations' release date, but the variables of the planet's postal services meant there was no single day where everone listened in delight/horror to part 4.  Still busy, mind, and if we'd returned back to a more typical tens and twenties by a couple of weeks ago, we seemed to be cruising along in the thrirties fairly consistently until yesterday.

The rest of this thread is informative and illuminating.  When all hopes fail, turn to Korgscrew :)
Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 03 2007, 15:55)
It says 18th now ;)

I put up two news items on that day, one about the Night Of The Proms DVD release and one about the sale of one of Mike's motorbikes. Neither were of course huge stories, but their appearance might have contributed to the large number of visitors (a lot of people do seem to like to come and browse through the comments on the news stories even though they're not forum members). There was indeed also the event in Berlin, so people may well have come looking for reports on that.

There are generally quite a lot of guests browsing round here at the moment - there are 20 online as I write this, plus 7 members, which no doubt helps contribute to those figures.

However, we are also getting a huge amount of registration requests from spam robots at the moment. I sifted through 50 or so the other day (I haven't looked to see how many are there today...), which wouldn't have been more than a day's worth. They would show up as guests while they're accessing the forum and may be what's contributing to the high figures.

I've said before that I believe I witnessed an attack once.  At a usually sedate time of around 11pm (TNT) there were 30+ visitors recorded; the vast majority of them hanging about in Tubular Net Updates, when, begging Olivier's pardon, there hadn't been any updates for ages.  I hope against hope that there were nearly 100 of Mike's English-speaking fans who were satisfying their need to find things out; to celebrate; to denigrate...  But heaven help us, was it all unthinking spam robots...?

What is it about September anyway?  2007 starting this thread, and ever since I joined, September 29th last year and its 85 has been up there.  Do all the spam robots finsih their summer holidays about now?  Let's look at the evidence!  Oh, and Ugo?  Time to prove your fondness for the rest of The Mix.  Abase yourself before our mechanised overlords!!!   :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....730CE0B

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 14:13

I've noticed a lot on line. Right now there's 70 !! :O

But nothing much going on ... :/  :(  :)  :p  

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 14:24

Now it's gone up to 86!!

But I have just posted. They could be Wiga fans.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 15:54

The Wigan Warriors?   :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 16:17

It's an up n under for WigAn.

Remember Eddie Waring.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 19:17

scrum robots, rather than spam robots

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 06:49

I am Not a Robot... Marina gets all mixed up here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmESmaLObVo

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 07:23

early this morning the counter said 88 people were online here and I had a look at the index and it was showing 4 pages.

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 07:29

That's for the last 15 minutes. Way too long, I should change it to 15 seconds or so. How long last your sessions?
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 08:44

It says here as copied from the forum front page:- [Most users and robots ever online was 98 on Sep. 05 2011, 02:48]

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 17:08

Quote (Olivier @ Sep. 05 2011, 23:29)
How long last your sessions?

About an hour....Mmmmm Tell me about your father :laugh:
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 06 2011, 06:19

We're witnessing the mother and father of all attacks at the moment.  I had one of my looking-up-Tubular Net-every-now-and-then nightshifts and saw three new records established.  As I started this, we're two shy of breaking the 108 that was set at 04:38, TNT.  It's Skynet taking over the world, people!!!   This could go on, of course - I think I'll just let any new marks wash over me for a while.  See you all at 200  ;)

Are they all robots though or is the human factor winning out?  I know just the fellas to sort it out. These robots have the answer! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGaW1lfT9M

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2011, 18:33

111 as at Sept 06 near midnight TNT.

Hmm..with a more realistic view I guess as google and Bing and other search engines increase they will be sending more and more spiders/bots/trawlers out so even relatively small sites like ours will get more visits just munching away at data.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 07 2011, 07:12

I'm not counting, I'm not counting!  Thanks for another avenue of exploration, Olrac.  I'm continuallly amazed by how computer programs sort relevance and priorities.  Chris Ibberson recently wondered about photos of Queens College (Girls) Choir and Manintherain duly obliged with a picture from a few years before Incantations.  Now put Queens College Choir into Google and search images.  What's the first thing picture to appear and where is it sourced from?  Uncanny...  And I've every expectation that the programs manage these miracles by putting themselves everywhere at once, Tubular Net not excepted!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2011, 08:15

I looked on the online users index around this time & 5 pages of viewers were showing so I had a look what they were doing and about half were in looking at various topics the rest appeared to be in news or the board index page & updates.  

Where do robots go when skiving or napping?

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 20 2011, 09:43

Meh, 150 is good enough...

Well what happended on this Sep 18th?!  I was here and thereabouts; honestly can't remember if I peeked in around 3pm my time - interesting posts as often there are but nothing breaking that I noticed.  And now 156?????  The 82 I saw around about seven hours later (which prompted me to look down a bit for the Most... figures) were looking here, there and everywhere in just about every album forum and lots of the others too, but I guess invasive software gets fairly adept at using virtual mice!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:27

Well there's the 200 - 206 even - all of a sudden. I know what triggered the re-set record last Friday, but anyway - welcome one, welcome all!  Crack open a bottle of something for yourself, Olivier!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 07:05

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Aug. 01 2012, 10:27)
Well there's the 200 - 206 even - all of a sudden. I know what triggered the re-set record last Friday, but anyway - welcome one, welcome all!  Crack open a bottle of something for yourself, Olivier!

If you think that's strange Cav..My local CD store has sold out of copy's of TB..Now that little divider with Mike Oldfield written crudely on it is sitting snugly against Sinéad O'Connor's...Strange days mate..strange indeed..exciting though... In a "Oh yes I've known about this guy for years" kinda way :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 11:23

It's often the late ODB ( in his uncensored form! ) on our dividers, but heaven help us, Milamber - he's gained an extra level of the shelf for the time being in my HMV, and spaces have appeared... :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 17:16

Well if that solitary copy of "History of Modern" sells O.M.D's divider will have a nice Ménage à trois with baldy and Mike....

Always good to see him prominently displayed...Never happens in OZ though......Although the one time I did find a display (TB II) the store guy was kind enough to give me a big yellow cardboard TB...Which proudly sits above my drumkit on the wall to this day....
Profile PM 
39 replies since Oct. 03 2007, 11:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net