Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 18 2004, 07:01

Quote (Guest @ May 18 2004, 04:03)
albeit with appalling vocals - no points for trying hard in this game I'm afraid

Sorry, but I just can't understand why Mike's vocals should be any bad compared to Scott Stapp, Fred Durst, and any other Nu Metal crap singer. Seriously! I'm not attacking you, but I seriously think you should give Mike's vocals a second chance. I mean, it's no use comparing him to Greg Lake or Justin Hayward, but look at how many crap singers we have today!

Aside from that, I pretty much agree with you. :)

you can't exactly play air sound module can you?

Now there's one thing I hadn't stopped to think about.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Josh
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2004, 03:54

well, inspiration and creativity are something that can fade away with the passing of time. let's remember MO has been on the road for 3 decades. his life has taken many turns in the meantime. this affects style. i can see thru mike's career a struggle between a man trying to be himself and one that has had to please a difficult boss (RB). but it's in the latter stage when he's done most of the music adored by fans (including myself). maybe WB has given him to much freedom, and mike has ended up being too much of 'himself' ending up in trying to catch up with a childhood he couldn't enjoy (that would explain the games now). so my wish for mike is that he does something like Jon Anderson (i'm a fan of his too, just not the new age-ish stuff): meaningful collaborations and philarmonic orchestras (i absolutely love orchestral TB). Mike, please, wherever you are, listen to us!
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: May 27 2004, 12:23

I would really, really like a long, complex piece of orchestral music, with nothing but acoustic instruments (except for electric guitars and organs) and great singers. An organic,  neo-classical piece, an Incantations taken to the extreme. And it would be even more wonderful if he would be really daring harmonically and rythmically, like some parts in Amarok, The Killing Fields and Incantations. And make it really repititive, I want to get hypnotized again.

But I guess hell won't freeze over.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2004, 17:47

Quote (Satyagraha @ May 27 2004, 12:23)
... I want to get hypnotized again.

u said so well also my wish :)

i mostly prefer long instrumentals cause imho mike's music developes in its best with time to do so, being repetitive and changing at the same time along minutes, building things to be later destroyed and mixed with new moods, carrying u where the music wants...
however he makes me feel that not only in his longest works, still shiver with 'ommadawn' or 'tsode', but also with his playing in some short tracks like 'first excursion' from the old ones, even the tiny 'jungle gardenia' or in tr3s lunas 'no man's land' and 'the owl's cavern flight', all of them hypnotic pieces of music for me.

then i don't care much about what genre he goes in this time or expect he makes a clone for some of his oldest jewels, simply hope his new music gives me those moments in which u don't know if time bends or strechtes or is simply blown away.

i feel optimistic cause he seems to be in "good shape", after listening to him playing the way he did in the rerecording of tubular bells (ambient guitars as a proof) i think it's perfectly possible to find something really good soon... i hope so!!

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 01 2004, 06:25

I'd like to see him get back with Leslie Penning, Tom Newman and Paddy Maloney and do an album of instrumental Celtic folk music.  If they could weave that into long epics, that'd be even better, in my opinion.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 01 2004, 07:05

bah...you will kill me...but I would love to see a looooooooooooooooooooong trance styled instrumental, with lots of powerfull beats, breakbeats, and his fantastic guitar sounds...:drool:  :D

that's not a joke! ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 01 2004, 09:39

I'd like to hear breakbeats, too. Always liked them myself.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 01 2004, 14:30

breaky instrumental would rule...with some nice exciting synthesizer sounds, trancey style...and also some "hard beats" to build up the atmosphere when you feel that the breakbeats just wouldn't fit!

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 02 2004, 05:16

Quote (BOOsTER @ June 01 2004, 14:30)
breaky instrumental would rule...with some nice exciting synthesizer sounds, trancey style...and also some "hard beats" to build up the atmosphere when you feel that the breakbeats just wouldn't fit!

Tell you what, if Mike puts out the Celtic folk album *and* the trance album, and you don't have to buy the folk record, I don't have to ever even hear the trancey/breakbeats record, then we'll BOTH be happy!

:)

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 02 2004, 09:56

Quote (familyjules @ June 02 2004, 11:16)
Tell you what, if Mike puts out the Celtic folk album *and* the trance album, and you don't have to buy the folk record, I don't have to ever even hear the trancey/breakbeats record, then we'll BOTH be happy!

you don't seem to be open-minded (no insults) but hey...Mike could do really good ...and trance is really close to what he does...IMHO, the feeling of the pieces is really similar! ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 02 2004, 10:27

Quote (BOOsTER @ June 02 2004, 09:56)
:)[/quote]
you don't seem to be open-minded (no insults) but hey...Mike could do really good ...and trance is really close to what he does...

No, I don't suppose I am!  LOL.

I don't know - beats and trance and computer generated music just leaves me cold.  This probably includes Mike's work in those areas.  I like hearing human beings making music, not machines.

I do try to keep an open mind some days.  Other days I'm honest in being completely biased.  Heh.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Mike Arnold
Unregistered

Posted: June 02 2004, 11:49

Been a fan of Mike’s for over 25 years. My message. Go back to your roots Mike. The first four albums he released were fabulous. Loved TSODE and Voyager. But, not much else Mike’s released really portrays his depth of talent. Okay, whilst there are some very good highlights on his other albums, on the balance of it, they sound rather mediocre. Another thing, Mike once said something like he wanted to be consistently good with his music, not wanting to be bogged down with the excesses of life, or becoming like other fading rock dinosaurs who just keep on repeating themselves. Hey Mike, “The Bells” is over. You’re so much more than that. Always have been, always will be.
Mike’s a really good guitarist. In the early days, he only ever used synthesizers to embellish his works, not in place of good composing. My advice, go make another very acoustic album in the classical/folk/rock/celtic tradition. Lots of really strong acoustic guitar, mandolin, banjo, harp, percussion, some well placed electric guitar, synths, and choral vocals. That’s Mike Oldfield….
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 03 2004, 05:52

Quote (Guest @ June 02 2004, 11:49)
Mike’s a really good guitarist. In the early days, he only ever used synthesizers to embellish his works, not in place of good composing. My advice, go make another very acoustic album in the classical/folk/rock/celtic tradition. Lots of really strong acoustic guitar, mandolin, banjo, harp, percussion, some well placed electric guitar, synths, and choral vocals. That’s Mike Oldfield….

Amen to that, Brother Mike!!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 03 2004, 12:07

Quote (familyjules @ June 02 2004, 16:27)
I don't know - beats and trance and computer generated music just leaves me cold.  This probably includes Mike's work in those areas.  I like hearing human beings making music, not machines.

Trance and breaks can be good!

Jules, if you find some time try to listen this, these are songs which I did with my friend (Starik99) I hope they won't leave you cold ;)
but if they do...mate...you should open your mind, the other genres can be very emotional too...and have depth of "real instrumentals" ...one more thing...there are still humans playing instruments, but this time the instruments are keyboards, what's wrong with it?  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 03 2004, 15:10

Trance is a style which has a feet on prog rock.Steve Hillage with his System 7 does a fab job.And I'm sure Mike can also do it,mix trance with his musical bases and make it Mike Oldfieldish.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 03 2004, 17:36

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 03 2004, 21:10)
Trance is a style which has a feet on prog rock.Steve Hillage with his System 7 does a fab job.And I'm sure Mike can also do it,mix trance with his musical bases and make it Mike Oldfieldish.

yes and that's what I mean, System 7 mix of Women of Ireland is just great! ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Zwollywood7
Unregistered

Posted: June 03 2004, 17:44

One of the great things about Mike's music is the different styles of the albums. I quite like Islands & TB 2.

I would love Mike to make a real pop album with one long instrumental track in which he use trance influences. And a couple of shorter (vocal) tracks. I would love to see him working with different singers like Maire Brennan (Clannad), Dido and Paul Carrack
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 04 2004, 06:07

Quote (BOOsTER @ June 03 2004, 12:07)
Trance and breaks can be good![/URL]

Jules, if you find some time try to listen this, these are songs which I did with my friend (Starik99) I hope they won't leave you cold ;)
but if they do...mate...you should open your mind, the other genres can be very emotional too...and have depth of "real instrumentals" ...one more thing...there are still humans playing instruments, but this time the instruments are keyboards, what's wrong with it?  :)

Sorry I have no sound on my pc because I work in a library so I can't hear your tracks.  :(

Look, I'm fine with you guys enjoying your trance and your breaks, it's just not for me.  I'm an old fashioned guy, and I'm stuck back in the old school.  It happens with every generation.  One day you'll find yourself going "Bah! What the kids listen to now isn't REAL music!", I swear it will happen because I never thought it would happen to me either.

There's nothing wrong with keyboards, but the more control you hand over to a machine or a computer then the less control is handled by the human beings themselves.  When musicians play together (or in Mike's case, with himself) you can hear little mistakes and improvisations and subtleties that make it sound human and warm.  Mike's first three albums had this.  It's also to do with analogue equipment and valve equipment.  It has a reaction with my brain waves that digital equipment and programmed keyboards don't manage.  It just doesn't do it for me.

But if you like it, great!  Enjoy!  Vive la difference!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 04 2004, 07:23

Quote (familyjules @ June 04 2004, 06:07)
It happens with every generation.  One day you'll find yourself going "Bah! What the kids listen to now isn't REAL music!", I swear it will happen because I never thought it would happen to me either.

Heck, that happens to me already, and I'm but 18! But I still support the idea that listening to "A Hard Day's Night" in an evening of 2004 is a good thing. :D

I dunno what to say about "Trance", really. Perhaps Mike has the talent to take this style and make something breathtaking out of it, but... I dunno. I'm afraid Mike will sound too pretentious trying to tackle on that, like he sounded pretentious on The Songs Of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells III.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 04 2004, 08:34

Quote (familyjules @ June 04 2004, 12:07)
 One day you'll find yourself going "Bah! What the kids listen to now isn't REAL music!", I swear it will happen because I never thought it would happen to me either.

even my grandma listens trance and likes it ;)
I can say that the pop which is playing in radios now and so on...that isn't music that's 4 sure! but non-commercial genres always have something in them...and I can even enjoy punk, heavy metal...every genre is good if the people can play it...

and hey! To me that will never happen! I am open-minded to the music...hell I am a musician, and I am person who likes music more than the life itself! that can't happen to me! :p

--------------
Profile PM 
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net