Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 08:37

I want him to do some soundtrack for a movie!
It would be a great idea!  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 09:04

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 09 2007, 09:19)
But perhaps acoustic is less forgiving of mistakes because it is used in a more lyrical capacity?

I think that the acoustic guitar is less forgiving of mistakes because it is acoustic. :) In other words, if you hit a wrong note on an acoustic guitar, the audience is inevitably going to perceive it as wrong, no matter what processing you may have on the guitar (and there is some quite heavy processing, I think, on Mike's classical guitar in MotS). The electric guitar is easier, IMO, to hide mistakes with. But then again, I'm a keyboardist, not a guitarist - I've never played an electric guitar, and the only acoustic I've ever played is rhythm, so I can't really judge, can I? :D

However, I just watched again the TBII live performance. When Mike plays the ending part of The Bell on classical guitar, he looks extremely concentrated on what he's doing - while, whenever he plays the brown PRS, he looks more passionate than concentrated. And as soon he hits the final chord of The Bell (which he slightly messes up because of cheering from the audience...), he opens his eyes and smiles widely, as if saying "Thank God I've finished... at least for Part 1". :D

@ Tubularman: Mike already did a soundtrack (TKF) and I recall him saying he won't ever do another one.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 09:44

yes i know. but i think about something familiar with MOTS.
Not that one.
But that is my wish anyway..
A long track album with orchestral nice music..

Another idea is something familiar with Crises. Maybe 5 vocal songs and one long instrumental. ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 10:01

I wish he did a totally unplugged remake of Amarok... with a big orchestra... :D

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2007, 08:18

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 08 2007, 19:54)
Quote (imhotep @ Dec. 08 2007, 20:59)
I would like him to do an album with only acoustic instruments [...]

He just did... :D :D

Apart from this, of course he is a great acoustic guitarist. But, as far as I can see from his various live performances, he is also very nervous when playing acoustically... he seems to feel safer on a PRS or a Fender Strat. ;) On TB (1973) you can hear some quite heavy breathing when he plays classical guitar... I've always interpreted that as a sign of extreme nervousness. And in the Jools Holland performance, you can almost see (if not feel...) his palms sweating hard right before he starts playing "Serpent Dream". :D

I think you are reading too much into this.
Why would he be nervous while in the studio?

I'd want an album based on his acoustic guitar with nice percussion work and other acoustic instruments. I know he just did an all acoustic record but I'm thinking more of a folk/world/spanish type album.

Cheers
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2007, 16:35

He's done the spheres, now I think it's time to single out Uranus.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2007, 18:08

Quote (imhotep @ Dec. 10 2007, 14:18)

Indeed I never talked about him being nervous in the studio (apart from the breathing on TB 1973). What I was talking about was essentially live performances. :)

World Music? Yes, that's a nice thought. Ommadawn was an early example of what we now call World Music, so he may very well have another go at it. But I don't think it will be based on acoustic/Spanish guitar, as he is primarily an electric guitarist, or at least that's how I see it. He is obviously very good on acoustic too as he is a great guitarist (there's no question about this, is there? :D), but I just can't figure out the acoustic guitar as his primary instrument...

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2007, 18:59

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 10 2007, 18:08)
Quote (imhotep @ Dec. 10 2007, 14:18)

Indeed I never talked about him being nervous in the studio (apart from the breathing on TB 1973). What I was talking about was essentially live performances. :)

World Music? Yes, that's a nice thought. Ommadawn was an early example of what we now call World Music, so he may very well have another go at it. But I don't think it will be based on acoustic/Spanish guitar, as he is primarily an electric guitarist, or at least that's how I see it. He is obviously very good on acoustic too as he is a great guitarist (there's no question about this, is there? :D), but I just can't figure out the acoustic guitar as his primary instrument...

He is brilliant on the acoustic and that's why I want to hear it featured on a whole album. Not totally dominating it but you know...
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2007, 19:10

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Dec. 10 2007, 21:35)
He's done the spheres, now I think it's time to single out Uranus.

HAHAHAHAHA

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Romendacil Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 17:17

I think we need somebody to revive the lost genres of Progressive rock/Art rock/Symphonic rock.

So yeah. MOTS with an electric guitar and classical drum kit in it.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 21 2009, 09:16

:p ommadawn will be the next album to be remastered, which parts of this piece are your favourite? any improvements? deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 22 2009, 09:11

All of it and none at all!
 The whole thing really is a bloody masterpeice.If i really had to choose bits then the harp section on side one with the euphoric solo afterwards would be tops and then pretty much all of side two from the acoustic guitar part through the Paddy tune and the really nice little tune before the 'Greek' bazouki part.I really can't put my finger on what it is about that tiny little section but it just conjures up woodland at night in frost or snow.It's an image i've had in my head since childhood and for some reason this part kind of plugs straight into it.It also has a very pagan feel.Very natural and organic.
But to honest i love the whole thing so much i can't really pick bits and leave others.Improvements?Errrrr can't really think of any except maybe turning the vocal up at the end of On Horseback where Mike says "remember...i'd rather be on horseback".

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 22 2009, 09:12

BTW why is Ommadawn next.What happened to HR?Surely a more likely candidate for an overhaul.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 01:19

:p yes mike why not hr next? probably because its ok as is, ommadawn will be more commercially successful, any enhanced parts in 5.1 will be great to hear, mike has great plans for this remaster! like a kid in a toy shop, loves new tech, he is pumped!deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 04:05

I think the truth of it is he doesn't want to open up the whole can of worms regarding which mix to do!
I wou,d suggest a compromise.Leave it as the orginal mix.Clean it up a bit but leave the actual mix more or less as is with all the original guitar bits and even the nutcracker but.....Sort out the sound on side 2 after the first clap of thunder cos the original sounds like he's playing in a cardboard box.Horribly muffled sound.Otherwise i'll have the original mix everytime and leave the newer 'Boxed' mix for Boxed.
 But Mike being Mike (cantankarous sums it up for me)i doubt very much we'll get that. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 05:12

As we know mike will be mike and do what he wants, no arguments lol! inside the mind of a genius, scary stuff! lol deb
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 09 2011, 10:49

Jazz.... no, seriously.

Dream line-up:

Jan Garbarek - Tenor Sax
Andy Sheppard - Alto Sax
Robert Wyatt - Cornet
Keith Jarrett - Piano
Mike Oldfield - Guitar, Compositions, Textures
Eberhard Weber - Bass
Joey Baron - Drums

Could never happen...?
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 09 2011, 11:17

Gothic Orchestral along those lines will do nicely thankyou.

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2011, 16:00

Gothic-Orchestral sounds good to me!

Or, Gothic-Orchestral with some Techno and Organ.

Seriously. :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net