Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Wanderer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 07:20

Do any of you guys / gals out there have a particular favourite genre of music that you'd like to see Mike try his hand at?

Or do you prefer to be surprised by each successive Oldfield album?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 10:04

I'd like him to do a heavy metal album. And I don't mean a "Shadow-on-the-wall-esque" album. I mean straight good old classic Heavy Metal (à la Iron Maiden, just to throw in a name), with completely unknown singers doing the vocals. That would be IMHO a great challenge for him. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 12:28

yes, something heavy..i would like to see that coming from mike

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Watcher of the skies Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 12:32

I think he will not do anything more harder...but i wish that he would do something natural,played on traditoinal instruments without a lot of sytnhs and crystal-clear synthetic production which killed 3lunas and TB2003 (this is my opinion)..i wish that he takes his old Fender Precision bass and plays another killer riff just like on TB or Platinum...i wish that he returns to his Gibson sg jr. and puts some distortion on.
seriously i think he will do another New-age stuff  :/   his last great album that i can listen from begening to end is TBIII...
his later albums were a great dissapointment.my biggest wish is to see him creating another instrumentsl-rock thing simmilar to Amarok or Ommadawn...not the commercial stuff only the true music from heart!

--------------
Hillmen are swore of allegiance
living a live of silent dignity
for your protection
only so you don't worry...
your pretty little head!
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 12:54

well, lemme answer what I would not like to have as next M.O.-output:

- another re-creation
- another plim-plim-nothingness-production a lá Tr3s Lunas.

But anyway, it's his decision......

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 22:23

I often feel like a freak for liking Mike's current output. Seems like every other fan on the net hates it with a passion and bemoans that Mike has "lost his way". :/

I do prefer to be surprised.

That said, I would like it if he returned to doing a long instrumental composition... and maybe he'll get more of a taste for it now he's revisited that territory with "Tubular Bells 2003".
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 22:42

I also prefer to be surprised. But I don't hate Mike's later works as probably many others do. I still think Tr3s Lunas has some moments. Especially Return To The Origin. I also like the synth crystal clear-ness (although I would prefer it if he used mroe acoustic instruments then synth like the earlier instrumentals and even TB2). And I prefer his PRS sound to the SG Jr, myself. But I would like him to use it again (SG)...it has such a distinct sound. I don't want to see anything heavy from Mike. I would like some Taurus 2-ish and QE2-ish and even Platinum-ish fun stuff, though.

I'd also be very grateful if he went into long instrumental composing again. I love Incantations and TSODE. I'd like to see him do something like those albums but with a different flavour like he does with each new album.

and maybe he'll get more of a taste for it now he's revisited that territory with "Tubular Bells 2003".

My thoughts as well.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 22 2003, 07:44

Well, I, personally, would like him to go back to 70's style prog-rock stuff a la Platinum, you know - strong rhythms, non-trivial structures and melodies, humour at the right times, etc. Yes, something like Platinum. Maybe even something like Taurus II, but good.

Also, if he wants to go on with the guitar, he'd better show me something that makes Taurus 3 justice. Cleverness, you know.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tellur Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2003, 13:46

I'd like to see a back-to-the-roots album, such as "Ommadawn". I certainly hope it won't be another "Tr3s Lunas". I would like to see something fresh, yet stable, having much wisdom., Mike really needs to think this time. No more simple "Guitars".
Profile PM 
bakkii Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 05:19

I cant say that I agree with you that he hasnt made anything good since tb3. It's probably the best of his last 4 albums (not incuding tb2003), but i think millenium bell is great, and guitars is also a very relaxing album. tr3s lunas didnt really do it for me, but i still listen to is regularly.

When he comes out with a new album, i to would like to be supprised, he is good at doing that...

For millenium bell he was insired by going to the clubs on ibiza, and i would like him to be more inspired like that. If he could make a new album in more of a progressive style i would be very happy i think  :D .

But isn't he remaking ommadawn at the moment?
Profile PM WEB 
stitchfan Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 06:25

I think he should make something more heavy too
[QUOTE]
Ohana means family
Profile PM 
Ben
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 09 2003, 06:37

I too like to be surprised. I have enjoyed all Mike's albums including his latest works, but my favorite albums has been Ommadawn,Amarok,Tubular Bells,TSODE & Discovery. More of that stuff would be great. Heavier music from Mike would be interesting, and I'm certainly not against that idea. Personally I would like to see Mike do more orchestral or folk style music such as the style found in Taurus, Qe2, Amarok & the Wind Chimes. I would also love to see Mike do another soundtrack. To be honest I think Mike's greatest albums has been the ones where he used many genre's such as Discovery, Qe2, Five miles out, Tubular Bells 3, Crises etc & that is what I would like to see him do again. A little heavy, soft, long, short, folk, vocal, instumental, peaceful..etc a good mix. ;)
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2003, 05:09

Another great 20 minute piece would just be fantastic, but I would also love to hear him do some new short instrumental pieces like In the Pool and all that. One long piece and a few shorter pieces is the album format I would like to see most. I terms of what genre of music, I really don't mind. I will be interesting to see what he comes up with next. One style I would like to hear is a piece in the style of Crises, with all those cool synths from the Fairlight CMI. That would be nice.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Dude Offline

Posted: May 16 2004, 06:44

I agree with Ben, I'd like Mike to do another soundtrack. I wasn't really impressed with his 'Killing Fields', but I think 'Mont St. Michel' would have worked wonderfully in a film. A complete soundtrack like that, with a bit TBII and a bit Incantations, that would be ideal.

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
MaXiMo Offline

Posted: May 17 2004, 10:30

Hey people.

Well.. I think he should come back to his old kind of music... not a re-re-recorded, but another cool album without thinking about the production... only an album which means what Mike feels, recorded by himself and expressing what his heart wants to tell to the world.

Please Mike, think about that, we'd like to see a new Amarok or Ommadawn!!

Regards, MaXiMo.

--------------
If you want to be a good person, you must be like me.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 17 2004, 11:46

Surprise me!  :O In whichever genre he dabbles, I hope his creation is born of deep inspiration….that he taps into the universal fire and well that flows through us all, but in which some, e.g. Mike, are more skilled at fishing and forging. I’m sure he can find his way to both well and fire, but if he needs help….being born on May 15, Mike’s Saint is Dymphna (she is also the patron saint of nervous and mental afflictions) but Brid is the Celtic Irish goddess associated with art and creativity. I’m sure both entitites would lend assistance.   :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 17 2004, 12:25

A innovative sound using his fab talents showed off on TB/HR/Ommadawn/Incantations/Amarok + eletronic sounds,much like TSODE or even Steve Hillage's System 7.

or...

A real Guitars album.

or something like Linkin Park,but Mike Oldfield boosted.

But,as always,it's Mike's decision to see what he wants next!!!
;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 17 2004, 19:25

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 17 2004, 18:25)
But,as always,it's Mike's decision to see what he wants next!!!
;)

... And what he seems to be currently wanting is nothing but relaxing, peaceful, soothing music, isn't he? :) Maybe, now that he's growing old, he's starting to like being labelled in a way that he would have hated when he composed TB, i.e. a New Age composer. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 17 2004, 19:48

Huh, those "simple atmospheres and melodies" he mentioned, i get an impression that the new family, his big bike have re-energised him a bit, that he has some hidden thrash waiting to get back out.

Obviously he'll do whatever he wants and the fans and record company are down the list of influences. Commercial success is not a priority, otherwise why spend so much time, money and effort in producing a game only fans are buying over the net with only a few adult- style radio spots to push it?
In such a diversified back catalogue he has fans who differ hugely in what they like and want next.

Whatever he does, if he can find the energy/willingness to take it on the road, I can see his career and fanbase grow again.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ricky Bling
Unregistered

Posted: May 18 2004, 04:03

The progression and innovation in Mike's music seems to have flat-lined since Heaven's Open, a very different album (albeit with appalling vocals - no points for trying hard in this game I'm afraid). Music From the Balcony was far-out, a big beautiful car crash of a track. From TSODE in I couldn't listen to the records over and over again - there was nothing of any interest there. Foolishly though I still buy the albums looking for the magic (sigh). I think Mike should dump the computers which have made him lazy and sound like the only records he's heard are by Enya. Mike needs to go organic again. There isn't much fun in listening to an Oldfield record anymore - you can't exactly play air sound module can you?
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net