Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 04 2004, 08:44

Quote (BOOsTER @ June 04 2004, 08:34)
hell I am a musician, and I am person who likes music more than the life itself! that can't happen to me! :p

I'm a musician too and I like music more than anything else too.  It will happen.  Just surrender to the inevitable and move on.  LOL.

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 04 2004, 08:57

BTW when I said I'd like to hear breakbeats I was thinking about incorporating them into something bigger, more varied. I agree that Mike doing a full-on Trance piece might end up sounding really tacky!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 04 2004, 09:49

and hey! To me that will never happen! I am open-minded to the music...hell I am a musician, and I am person who likes music more than the life itself! that can't happen to me! :p

You never know what music people will be hearing in 20 years or so. Music is tending to deteriorate further... until someone decides to do a revolution like the Beatles did in the 60's, but that's for another thread.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 04 2004, 10:51

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 04 2004, 15:49)
and hey! To me that will never happen! I am open-minded to the music...hell I am a musician, and I am person who likes music more than the life itself! that can't happen to me! :p

You never know what music people will be hearing in 20 years or so. Music is tending to deteriorate further... until someone decides to do a revolution like the Beatles did in the 60's, but that's for another thread.

not the non-commercial  ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Grims
Unregistered

Posted: July 08 2004, 05:43

Hiya, new one to this new fangled message board  ;)

I would have to disagree, I think TR3S Lunas has some nice tunes, such as TO BE FREE which is instantly singable.

As for TB2003 I was unaware of it being a remake until the INTRODUCTION bass kicked in. As a whole I it works, some of the ACOUSITC GUITAR solos are a bit lame. I remember Mike saying on one of his videos, name escapes me right now, where he said "I think the mark of a good musicain is if he can play one note and mean it, its better than playing zillions of scales and not meaning it."

I prefer the CAVEMAN sectiont to the original, IMHO.

Anyways, regards.

Grims.
Artemis Offline

Posted: July 20 2004, 08:58

I think it would be cool if Mike Oldfield went back to doing long instrumentals like his Tubular Bells 2 but with the pure sounding instruments of TB2003 maybe with a more celtic/folk mood but with some amazing crashes and loud bits and a finale, which for me are the highlights of his pieces, something that not even John Cleese can take away from. ;)

I thought TB2003 was good but I think that the distorted guitars could have sounded a little more 'rough' therefore making it sound more natural.

I think a platinum type thing would also be good (Ive probably lost everyone now but never mind)

Artemis

--------------
Innocent in our Instinctive Competitiveness
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 20 2004, 09:15

It would be nice to have something in the spirit of Platinum, really. If he wants to dabble with techno and dance rhythms, he should start taking Platinum lessons and add SOLID melodies, riffs and musical ideas to the stew. He did it once, why not do it again? Platinum is chock full of those neat, running guitar lines and little melodies. We need that kind of Mike Oldfield again.

Well, er, I do.

And I agree with you on the guitar sounds on TB2003.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 21 2004, 13:58

My prediction for what Mike's currently doing in the studio is full on eletronica by the sounds of things. More genuinely (for him) experimental than anything like TresLunas but certainly not another Amarok, unfortunately. However I do think he has been listening to our criticisms and I do think it may have longer more involved and developed tracks than anything in recent memory, I hope so anyway. I certainly hope it doesn't have synthesized vocal parts or any other 'gimmicks' like sax guitars. Just good tunes and good playing would suit me fine.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2004, 06:05

Yeah. I think most of us would agree with you on that. Good tunes and good playing can span any genre. I can name at least one truely fantastic song of rock, pop, blues, folk, heavy metal, instrumental (of course), vocal only (acapella I think is the word), jazz and a few genres that I don't know what they are. To me, good playing is good playing no matter what genre it is.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
EDROFKRAM Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2004, 16:51

cajun-arabic-traditional waltz with a touch of squeeze-box meets skiffle rock a billy-tearoom opera-industrial chaimber quintet stylee.
Profile PM 
Mirage Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2004, 16:50

Personally I think it's time for Mike to return to where it all began. He's done a lot of wonderful stuff, and most of it I have really loved. I can't see him doing anything other than what he has always done. But I think it's about time for the music to come full circle. Return to a place of youth, return to the days of wonderment, and write an album that flows the way TB1, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn did. Anybody agree?
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2004, 21:05

Quote (EDROFKRAM @ Sep. 07 2004, 22:51)
cajun-arabic-traditional waltz with a touch of squeeze-box meets skiffle rock a billy-tearoom opera-industrial chaimber quintet stylee.

Oh, you mean another Amarok... ;)

Quote (Mirage @ Sep. 25 2004, 22:50)
I think it's about time for the music to come full circle. Return to a place of youth, return to the days of wonderment, and write an album that flows the way TB1, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn did. Anybody agree?

Yeah. Indeed, that's what the people voted at the press conference for TB2003 in Spain. "Long Instrumentals.... oh, well, maybe...", he said ;-)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
EDROFKRAM Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2004, 13:00

sssshhhhh don't mention the A word round here, it causes to much trouble.
Profile PM 
Pete
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 05:48

I for one would like to see a return to the golden days  - lets have an album to add to Mike's classic five; TB, Hergest, Ommadawn, Incantations, Amarok. Please no more chillout!
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 06:07

I'm sure it would be possably to do a 'chillout' style piece in a long instrumental format: I could probably argue that Hergest Ridge fits this discription. TSODE certainly does, though in a different, more electronic sort of way. It looks like the electronic sort of music will stay for the time being, so if the album will be a long instrumental then it might sound more like TSODE than anything else. Or prehaps Mike's looking for a more up-beat sort of album. I'm sure that could be done in an electronic way if he wants to. It certainly will be interesting to find out...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
EDROFKRAM Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 14:28

how about rustic, rural back to nature ,naked rolling around in nettles during a thunderstorm , high fibre low impact workout video style, with lot's of flutes ,celtic percussion and load of green welly, wax jacket dancerobics.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 16:20

What? No recommendations a for old-school Latin-flavored Memphis be-bop house-music re-recordings of "Hostage" performed by Mongolian throat singers and featuring Justin Timberlake and Luciano Pavarotti as co-MC's? Recorded on 8-track with a free bonus song sampled from Serbian pop music, no less? It's a really hot jazz track written by Leonard Cohen featuring Elton John on kazoo and Greg Kihn on the Moog. Lyrics by Toby Kieth and the Dixie Chicks.

They considered calling the whole thing the "Alan Parsons Project" until they found out that a mad scientist had already claimed the name for his death ray (or was it a hovercraft?).

The expected accompanying music video starring Duran Duran and featuring lots of trash blowing around in the air is something to look forward to... all set against a Bollywood-style spaghetti western background, and directed by Michael Moore who provides his own commentary: ("You're a hostage of George Bush, Twisted 'round Halliburton's finger.")

It's really a load of fun and, like Mark Prindle would say, a "party in your ears".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
EDROFKRAM Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 17:38

to Hiawatha that reply was teriffic , but I am getting rural again, we could have mike and friends on the country estate slapping the backs of pigs in a name that tune ho down baccy chewing, spittoon drinking, how far can you throw a pitch-fork, yak wrestling style. This of  course would stretch the averrage director so we would have to get ridley scott to over-see thing's. Then Disney would whant to get involved but under no circumstance is Britney getting near ther set.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 18:05

Quote (EDROFKRAM @ Oct. 25 2004, 17:38)
we could have mike and friends on the country estate slapping the backs of pigs in a name that tune ho down baccy chewing, spittoon drinking, how far can you throw a pitch-fork, yak wrestling style

If it means that the promotional department gets a bent-bell logo painted on Jeff Gordon's hood, I'm all for it!

Also looking foward to Clodagh Simmonds singing the National Anthem at the Daytona 400.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Manveer
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 07 2004, 15:48

I would love to hear some more of the gorgeous classical /symphonic stuff with operatic singing in it, eg. Doges Palace!!! THAT PIECE IS JUST BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has always been my dream to sing for him in this format, as I am a coloratura soprano. As well as my love for pure classical sounds, I also love these more modern blends as well. I would love to hear a collaboration between Mike and Sarah Brightman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manveer
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net