Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What genre would you like Mike to tackle next?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Big BellEnd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2004, 13:58

MANGA

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2004, 20:28

As far as I was aware Manga is a visual art form: in paintings and animations. I've never heard of manga music before.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2004, 20:48

After he conquers manga (Japanese comic books), he can turn his attention to mastering Olympic-level footbow competition, completing the Alaska-Siberia bridge, and writing really good cheese souffle recipes.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 06:03

I like to be surprised ;)
I think it would be really cool if he did more ethnic music though, as I wrote in another post today.
And though I love his unique style & original sounds, a part of me would like him to get one major hit, to hopefully increase people's awareness of his talent, especially here in America.
(I would love to see him convert more cloth-eared nincompoops :) )
I would buy any album of his :cool:

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 07:41

Well, MANGA and cheese souffle it is then.

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 09:04

"Tubetasticbaby"?

Sounds like something Austin Powers would have said. On that note, imagine if they had managed to get "Mastermind", the very Bondian track from TMB, into an "Austin Powers" film soundtrack. That would have been a big boost/exposure for sure. It might have been a good theme song for Dr Evil, even though he is more like a mastermindless.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 10:05

^_^ ^_^ OMG MIKE OLDFIELD IS DOING MANGA!!!!1 ^_^ ^_^

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jameson Kimball
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 00:05

Personally I think Mike should do a Vivaldi sort of thing. Chose a central theme and expand it into the feelings and emotions of life.
Mike needs another great song like Tubular Bells. Not a heay metal song. Not to say that metal is bad, but Mike proved himself to be a great classical composer the day he released Tubular Bells in 1973. I am (in my mind) the biggest Tubular Bells fan. I have 6 different versions on my computer, 3 of them I tabbed myself on Guitar Pro 4. Mike should do a full blown symphony composition. That is my opinion. But Oldfield can do what ever he wants.
James
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 03 2005, 23:18

Really like to see Mike write his first symphony for a full orchestra.I read he didn't think he was up to it I think the contrary.Of course it is very expensive to do this alone ie making a start in the Classical world particularly when you have come from the pop side.He could score his work in his own studio in his own usual way using midi and sample orchestral based voices.Should he need to perhaps David Bedford can assist with the arraging etc.The whole event could be premiered and professionally recorded at the same time.There are a large amount of concert arenas in London Birmingham and the Philharmonic in Liverpool aswell as most other large cities.In the meantime another largish instrumental with some lovely real folk instruments similar to Ommadawn first ten or so minutes of part one.Or another Taurus 2 type instrumental.
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2005, 04:42

I'd like to see him do tap dancing, fire eating, and lion taming next.  All at the same time, of course!

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 28 2005, 23:41

I would like to see him return to the Intersection as per Johannson's Medici Effect and create a new genre that we mere mortals have never dreamed--while he's waiting for his chocolate-Guinness souffle invention to rise.  :p

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 08:04

Quote (Inkanta @ Feb. 28 2005, 23:41)
while he's waiting for his chocolate-Guinness souffle invention to rise.

Ah, the Emerill Lagasse collaboration known as "Tubular BAM!"

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 08:52

I've just seen jules bit about the lion tamer that's really funny, can you picture the scene. Mike,whip in one hand pint of the black stuff in the other struggling with the rolly in his mouth as he explains to the lions that does'nt want to use the whip but he will if he has to.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 09:50

For Hiawatha, anyhoo talking about the black stuff last year I had a week in Dublin and do you that a pint of Guinness cost over 6 dollars, phew expensive, I mean one night I must have spent at least 12 dollars.

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 12:55

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Mar. 01 2005, 09:50)
For Hiawatha, anyhoo talking about the black stuff

The black stuff? for ME?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
RobH Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2005, 10:06

Ok,

I think the first idea to dispense with is a 'trance' project of any description, as his apparent attempts at the 'dance' genre innevitably sound 'tacky', ill construced and plodding. I am in my early thirties, and listened to MO's output at the same time as listening to Electro-Funk, Hip Hop, Soul,so it was interesting to see how Mike's music pre-dated and served as a model for the later ambient/trance/generic dance music. He as not perhaps the geatest influence, but he is certainly there.

His forays into the 'classical'  use of large scale orchestration are, I think, similarly misplaced, as the original musical material lacked sufficient development and complexity to be used in this way. Perhaps the answer would be to collaborate with an individual sufficiently skilled in orchestration to help him in actually composing and orchestrating his music.

I would be very interested to know what music Mike is listening to, and indeed has listened to for the last 20 years or so. TSODE was a remarkable album, particularly for the use of samples, and this is an area that I would very much like to see him explore further (in a far more interesting way than during guitars - where the sampling of guitars could not in any way take away from the simplistic underdevelopment of the music).

Why not experiment with the use of Hip Hop rhythms and samples (and I do not mean tacky Reason inspired stuff either). I have taken his material and introduced breaks and other elements from what is traditionally considered 'black musical 'genres, and it can work very well.

So, for the record, here is a challenge. If you are interested Mike, I will provide you with examples from your back catalogue, and how they can be simply restructured using breaks and samples and scratches, to sound innovative, interesting and compelling.

The choice, as Black Sheep said, is yours.

Rob H
Profile PM 
Sora Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2005, 08:08

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 20 2003, 10:04)
I'd like him to do a heavy metal album. And I don't mean a "Shadow-on-the-wall-esque" album. I mean straight good old classic Heavy Metal (à la Iron Maiden, just to throw in a name), with completely unknown singers doing the vocals. That would be IMHO a great challenge for him. :)

I quote!  :laugh: It would be great listen to metal music made by Mike... in my opinion he would be better than many bands around at the moment...  :cool: A guitar solo like the one in Moonlight Shadow in metal would be simply... beautiful...
Profile PM 
Mike
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 14:54

There are too many genres that Mike is well qualified to try his hand at. Personally, I 'd like to see him have a go at:
- a Rodrigo guitar concerto-type album, no orchestra, just Mike's multi-instrumental style;
- a heavily synth-styled symphonic piece;
- another Platinum-style album, but this time borrowing from rock/pop/hip-hop/country/r&b/jazz/rap.... pretty much any progressive style you can think of;
- INCANTATIONS II - Seriously!!
- No more Tubular stuff - even more seriously!!
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 14:56

Quote (Guest @ Mar. 09 2005, 14:54)
- a heavily synth-styled symphonic piece

How about a more traditional classical symphony? He's already made steps in this direction with some of the tracks in recent albums (Mont St Michel, etc.).

He'd have to pretty much set the guitar down for this, and compose for orchestra instead of guitar.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 03:17

I was listening to "The Killing Fields" today... the more I listen to it, the more I think it is one of his most hideously under-rated albums. And the sadder I feel that he didn't really pursue soundtracks any further. I'd like to see him work on another film - especially one in the sci fi or fantasy genre, since "The Songs Of Distant Earth" was such a remarkable album.
Profile PM 
138 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 07:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net