Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What does music mean to you< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 04:58

I found this and it shows one possible explanation of what music can mean to someone.

You Tube  Dustin O'Halloran - Intervista di Kill Surf City

There must be countless other views.  It doesn't have to be a you tube clip....this just astounded me at how similar it is to my own view.

And how much he reminds me of Mike Oldfield, as a younger man, something around his eyes...

Why we have music in our lives.  Can it even 'be' put into words?

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 05:06

Quote (bee @ Sep. 30 2011, 04:58)
I found this and it shows one possible explanation of what music can mean to someone.

You Tube  Dustin O'Halloran - Intervista di Kill Surf City

There must be countless other views.  It doesn't have to be a you tube clip....this just astounded me at how similar it is to my own view.

And how much he reminds me of Mike Oldfield, as a younger man, something around his eyes...

Why we have music in our lives.  Can it even 'be' put into words?

Did you like the 'dot' !!!! Attention to detail here!!! :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 05:12

...thinking on...music is experienced individually and yet we share it, we want to share it...even though we know it will 'be' different for the next person....

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 05:32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOaNa9rh84
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 05:49

Quote (bee @ Sep. 30 2011, 10:06)
Did you like the 'dot' !!!!

:D

Aaah, I wasn't sure what was going on there - then I pressed it!!

I really like this Dustin O'Holloran's work - (he makes music for soundtracks he says) - and I like the track you posted on the other thread.

I also find it hard to put it into words the importance of music - Dustin uses visual imaginary like - 'colours' and 'prisms', and I would probably use the language of emotions, driving forces, motivation and balance.

I get a kick out of sharing music too - and if other people share the same taste as me that seems to forge a connection. But again it's a connection I can't put into words too well - but I'm surprised how significant this Mike Oldfield forum has become.

And the other thing is - I haven't been ill since I joined this forum. Music sharing must be healthy!!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 05:58

Opps I missed the dot   .

Slightly Off Topic , I find Mike's First Big Four to be Instrumental nursery rhymes for adults, maybe that explains their inherent appeal.....

But what does music mean to me???

It fits into your life in any way you want it too...That bloody "In Dreams" gets me every time  ;)

Music can turn a frown upside down and comfort during loss.
It can harden the heart and empower oneself.
It can make you a jester and sage all at once :)

Some find it their only friend.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 06:05

Thanks, again Milamber, what would I do without you!  I really am useless at these things

Wiga ~ I agree on the emotional aspect, and emotions and feelings have colours or sensations too for me.  The 'connection' very often means there will also be a mutual understanding about many other, often even unrelated things, which is kinda hard to express in mere words.  But once it is 'sensed' it is very hard to ignore.

And how lovely to hear about you feeling so well...long may it continue  :)

for me the forum has been a place to visit for many years, highs and lows but it's always running along as a thread in my life.  I don't always contribute to everything I'd like to, but it's a place to come to relax and learn. That's the way I see it...if it has health giving properties then so much the better....doctors will be prescribing one day as an alternative medicine maybe?  

(and those doctors will be psychiatrists!! )

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 09:57

Music to me is, quite possibly, the simplest and most abstract art form in existence. Think about it: the minimum thing you need to make music is yourself, and the "product" of music is vibrations in the air. I think the only art forms that can compare to that are storytelling and the theatre (as Grotowsky would say, "the body is the sole instrument"). Music, however, tends to be a lot more subjective and abstract than storytelling and (arguably) theatre -- it strikes the imagination, the feeling, the intellect, all at once, in a way that's nearly impossible to predict, it has the power to move people (emotionally and physically), to bring them together, to create things that are, quite honestly, nearly impossible to explain.

Music is, perhaps, the simplest and most complex art form in existence.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 16:23

Quote (Milamber @ Sep. 30 2011, 05:58)
Slightly Off Topic , I find Mike's First Big Four to be Instrumental nursery rhymes for adults, maybe that explains their inherent appeal.....

But what does music mean to me???

It fits into your life in any way you want it too...That bloody "In Dreams" gets me every time  ;)

Music can turn a frown upside down and comfort during loss.
It can harden the heart and empower oneself.
It can make you a jester and sage all at once :)

Some find it their only friend.

I hadn't thought of them like that, as nursery rhymes for adults, the first four I mean.  They are very sophisticated really but do have a simplicity that can be picked up quite easily and there is repetition throughout each.

when you describe what music means to you I think you have it in one and it's this ability to cause a change inside from the outside that does these things. 'jester and sage' is a good way of summing it up, and particularly in Mike's case, for always there is humour somewhere in his work.

And music as a friend is just a wonderful way of looking at it, and then to share with friends...well, it doesn't get any better than that, as Wiga was saying.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2011, 16:43

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 30 2011, 09:57)
Music to me is, quite possibly, the simplest and most abstract art form in existence. Think about it: the minimum thing you need to make music is yourself, and the "product" of music is vibrations in the air. I think the only art forms that can compare to that are storytelling and the theatre (as Grotowsky would say, "the body is the sole instrument"). Music, however, tends to be a lot more subjective and abstract than storytelling and (arguably) theatre -- it strikes the imagination, the feeling, the intellect, all at once, in a way that's nearly impossible to predict, it has the power to move people (emotionally and physically), to bring them together, to create things that are, quite honestly, nearly impossible to explain.

Music is, perhaps, the simplest and most complex art form in existence.

I agree, it is so very personal, Sir M.  And you have taken it right back to the very essence of what music is. Personal expression. Jonathan Miller the English theatre director/ doctor/tv presenter once said in an interview somewhere about the 'considerable being found in the negligible' and I took it that he meant by that that very significant and important things in life are often hidden in the simplest of things (for want of a better word, what is another word for 'things'?) This phrase keeps coming back to haunt me because I can sense how true and relevant throughout our lives it is.

I do actually fear going deaf as I grow older, because not to be able to hear music as I do now would be just terrible.

You mentioned that it's effect is 'nearly impossible to predict' and 'nearly impossible to explain' which is very interesting I think...by saying 'nearly' maybe you are suggesting that we all sense there is an ultimate definition but none of us can ever assume to know, because it is so personal to each individual and another would not recognise it.  I may well have misunderstood you there, please correct me.

Maybe Grotowsky could also say " the body is the soul instrument ".

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 04:00

in Mike's case, for always there is humour somewhere in his work.

I agree. But it struck me the other day that there's no humour in Voyager - or else I can't find it.

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 07:31

Quote (wiga @ Oct. 01 2011, 04:00)
in Mike's case, for always there is humour somewhere in his work.

I agree. But it struck me the other day that there's no humour in Voyager - or else I can't find it.

yes that's true...and Hergest Ridge for that matter when I think about it.  Maybe I was too general there.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 09:19

Yes Hergest Ridge as well - has no humour. Very intense.

<:( intense smilie>

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 13 2018, 21:02

As far as Tubular Bells  is concerned, it means that recently when I was following a recipe I found myself saying "fish sauce and introducing tomato sauce!"   :laugh:
Profile PM 
13 replies since Sep. 30 2011, 04:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net