Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What do you think about Mont, About Mont St Michel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdown_Man Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2004, 18:42

What do you think about this beautiful piece of music? In my opinion this is the best composition in this album. It is made with big impetus, full of fantastic meldies. I love it. I think it should take more minutes, for example 20:) What do you think abou it?
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: April 17 2004, 19:16

i love it, it's awesome. too bad the rest of the album is not even half as good.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 07:03

in my opinion the whole album is very good, i like all the tracks on the album :)

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 09:27

I really love Mont St Michel,when i last visited the real place in Normandy,France about 2 years ago,i was thinking about Mikes track all the time,i think the length of the track is just right at about 12 minutes,which is i think i am right in saying,the longest track Mike made in the 90's(with the exception of Amarok,which is an album and track)making it the longest piece he has made for 14 years now,weird.But it's a great track,with Mike playing some lovely classical guitar too,i love loved to have heard this track live with full orchestra :) it is the highlight of the album for me,and most people i think,and it was a total supprise to hear such an orchestral piece from Mike,when at the time he was having it large in Ibiza ;)
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 10:27

In the context of the album I agree with you there. It's one of his best instrumentals of this length since 'The Lake', but quite different

I personally think if there was 'more of Mike' in it than someone else's orchestral arrangement, it would have been even better. A good celtic synthesis of styles was achieved in Ommadawn

The other orchestral instrumental 'Incantations' has this effect as well, but it also contains enough 'rocky' sounding sections too, such as in Part 3

Did Mike ever perform this live with an orchestra? It would be a good choice and would sound right in the Proms in the Park concerts at Dublin! Just a thought of mine
Profile PM 
Piltdown_Man Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 13:45

He, I want to listen to this piece of music live. Meaby someone know about Mont St Michel live?  Meaby someone have got a video or mp3 with this composition? What do you think about Mont St Michel II ?? :)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 18 2004, 14:03

I think "Don Alfonso II" would be a better idea.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdown_Man Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 15:26

Hehe, "Don Alfonso II":) Nice. Meaby Mont St Michel with this beatiful vocal (this is Mike, isn't he?)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 18:00

Yup, that is Mike singing, indeed.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 18 2004, 18:11

It's David Bedford singing on the English Don Alfonso...

I like Mont St Michel - I much prefer it to the orchestral work on The Millennium Bell, especially in terms of production, I find Mont St Michel to be much more open sounding, and a nicer performance. It's definitely the highlight of the Voyager album for me - a more interesting composition than the other original tracks on there, I feel, and more genuinely atmospheric in feel as well.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 18 2004, 19:30

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 18 2004, 18:11)
It's David Bedford singing on the English Don Alfonso...

But... I wanted to start a bit of confusion in there!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 19 2004, 08:33

After reading this discussion, I gave MSM another spin yesterday, and found my opinion about it hasn't changed.
The first thing in the piece that catches my attention (actually, the first thing on the album) are the descending notes in the brass at 6:05. I really like the part that follows, up to 8:25. This part reminds me of a few of his earlier works, the brass section is a bit reminiscent of the sampled brass in Taurus II, and the overall feel is quite similar to OTB. The section has real impact, whereas the rest of the piece is just smoothly flowing, celtic-flavoured hollywood score type music that anyone in that business could have come up with. It's really nice, well-done and would work great in a genre movie but frankly you just don't need a Mike Oldfield to do that.
Profile PM 
Piltdown_Man Offline

Posted: April 19 2004, 15:22

OK, my friends, this is topic about Mont St Michel. If you want to quarrel about Don Alfonso, go to "Rarities & Concerts", there is my topic, called Don Alfonso. You can axpress your opinion. :)
Profile PM 
Piltdown_Man Offline

Posted: April 19 2004, 15:59

At the start I want to say something. There will be lot of mistakes in this text, I am from Poland, and I don't know this language very well:) What do you think about moment, from 10:32 to... hm, 10:50?? It looks like piece of soundtrack from a romantic film, from '70 or '80:). While I was listening to Mont St Michel I wrote a...story about a journeyman, climbing a mountain. He saw big, grey clouds (6:05...6:22)drifting towards him. He thought "It will rain soon", and the storm begun (6:22...7:32). A moment from 9:44 to the end show this journeyman on the top of the mountain. It is very short version of my story, it is full of emotions. I know, Mont St Michel isn't great, dangerous and "wild" mountain, but when I listen to this  work, I can imagine this journey:)I hope, you understood this:)
Profile PM 
Troll_u Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 11:51

now... he is only small cloud, only the tatter of cloud... and he began to rise slowly into the air... it was sunny morning...
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 15:50

Amazing song! Its really dark and middle night moody. Almost an fairy-tale song.
I love it.  :D

And zorry me, but I think it have a little bit Vangelis sound.. The choir and clocks remain me about him.
But for sure! I love Vangelis to! So no problemo!!
Profile PM 
Piltdown_Man Offline

Posted: April 22 2004, 08:41

Vangelis in Mont St Michel?? I don't think so. Choir and clocks? Hmm. I know, I don't listen to the Vangelis's music. Meaby you are sure, but I think Mike wasn't inspired by Vangelis music:) Can you tell me, which of Vangelis compositions remain you about Mont St Michel??:) (oh, can you tell me what this red envelope means?? ;))
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 10:21

Mont St Michel is a brilliant piece of work :) . It has on occasions moved be to tears, with its beauty  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2005, 18:45

Being a long term fan, I bought Voyager without a thought to keep my collection complete. And until now I still haven't had any thoughts about t except who persuaded Mike to do THAT cover?

Most of voyager just misses my ears completley. MSM does have some great bits, but they are drowned n the nothingness of the rest.

I've tried and tried to give it time, but unlike The Lake and Music form the Balcony, it still hasn't made sense to me. Just another new age record like all the others on sale and still sounds like he knocked it out in his spare time.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2005, 07:13

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 14 2005, 23:45)
I've tried and tried to give it time

Try giving it some space instead. The only time I ever play Voyager now (the only time it ever works for me) is in the car, driving through the Scottish Highlands.

However, Mont St Michel is the only track that doesn't fit that particular scenic experience. MSM strikes me as an unabashedly over-the-top attempt at a kind of Hollywoodised Romantic piece which I must admit I find very moving in places. I like over-the-top, sometimes. Why not, I say!
Profile PM 
25 replies since April 17 2004, 18:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net