Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (301) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What are you playing this very second?, Just name the artist and track!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2005, 18:40

Eric Clapton - Crossroads, from a boot of his last (24th) night of his 1991 series of concerts. ;) But I stopped it just now, because it's late here and I can't play it too loud. I shall save it for tomorow. :)

@ T4: Bekki Williams - GREAT stuff. :) Very Enya-ish, but I just love artists other than Enya being Enya-ish, just as much as I love artists other than Oldfield being Oldfieldian. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 27 2005, 18:42

Thanks T4 to that link to Bekki Williams's website.  She's a Tolkien fan too  :cool: .  I wish the snippets of music were  slightly longer.
I like what I've heard.

NP Robert Plant "Brother Ray" from the "Mighty Rearranger" album.
Brother Ray goes in to a hidden track at the end a dancey version of "Shine It All Around" , I normally dislike dance music, but this it great, really innovative, the use of Eastern influence makes this  unique IMHO. I feel an urge to dance.

Dancing to this will have me shifting weight I've lost 2st (about 48kgs for those of you who prefer metric), with "Slimming World"      :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 27 2005, 22:41

Hergest Ridge Part One.
This album has got the famous fungus' effect on me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 28 2005, 14:26

There is a cream available that could clear that up for you.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 28 2005, 19:21

'Glad to see that MO fans only linten to MO!!
(Isn't this topic getting a bit useless??)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 28 2005, 19:58

Quote (Sonilink @ May 29 2005, 00:21)

No, I don't think so, I've had some introductions to some great new music, through this topic   :D  :) .  Please keep it running :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 29 2005, 17:25

"Sapphire" by Lacrimosa :) .  I MUST hear some more of their music.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 03:53

Quote (Sonilink @ May 28 2005, 19:21)
'Glad to see that MO fans only linten to MO!!

This topic is only as good as the people who contribute to it. If all that MO fans listen to is MO, then I would personally consider that to be a little blinkered, don't you? However, reading between the lines I don't think you meant that at all - I believe you wanted to be provocative, perhaps because you are bored maybe? Of course, if the topic bores you, you don't have to read! There's plenty more on the boards for you to enjoy.

Korgscrew and I had an exchange on this a couple of weeks ago and we agreed that it would be more interesting to give a little more detail on what was being listened to, facts about the music, maybe what makes it stand out and/or unique. Now some posters are willing to do this and others are not, but as this topic has been running for over twelve pages, it is of interest to some just as other threads are to others. As far as I am concerned, long may it continue as I share Moonchildhippy's sentiments - I have discovered some great new music (new to me that is) as a result; music I would never have heard of or listened to had I not read about it here.

Now maybe if you want to discuss the merits of this thread with me, please engage me via PM, otherwise feel free to share what you listen to with the rest of us and perhaps the reason why. ;)

Now playing: It Bites - Once Around the World

English pop, rock and prog, all rolled into one great album. The eponymous track is an epic. A fifteen minute collage of English progressive rock eccentricity, woven together by excellent musicianship. John Beck's keyboards and Francis Dunnery's guitar work compliment each other perfectly and strike the right balance between individual brilliance and collective group delivery. The album is well produced, well played and drips professionalism and confidence.

It Bites were a sadly underrated prog act in the 80's. Once described by Mark Lammar as 'Like Marillion with sex. A far more pallatable concept than sex WITH Marillion!' Making a comeback - apparently.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 18:37

Mike Oldfield - Royal Wedding Anthem, immediately followed by Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas (which is the one playing right now). I think that the latter track is famous enough to refrain me from commenting on it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 31 2005, 01:34

I've never heard of it...  :/

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: May 31 2005, 07:40

Quote (Ugo @ May 30 2005, 18:37)
Mike Oldfield - Royal Wedding Anthem, immediately followed by Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas (which is the one playing right now). I think that the latter track is famous enough to refrain me from commenting on it. :)

Ry Cooder&his blues slide guitar-magic.Over the bank holiday weekend Ive been re-discovering the music of Vangelis&Jean Michel Jarre.Previously hadnt really heard much of their material until I noticed other members comments re:appreciation.Well,all I can say is that I must have had cloth in my ears! Some really good sounds.Also been listening to Mike Oldfield Taurus 3.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 31 2005, 09:30

Paris, Texas was a great soundtrack - absolutely perfectly suited to the film. I love the way the acoutsic slide playing in the theme (loosely based on Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was The Night (Cold Was The Ground)") binds with the images of the desert - for me, it really enhances the feel of barren desolation. Well worth watching, for those of you that haven't seen it - the cinematography is beautiful, and there's some great acting in it.

You could also try listening to Bob Brozman if you like slide guitar music., he's a really fantastic player. He often likes to fit his playing into the music of other cultures - he did a great collaboration with Okinawan musician Takashi Hirayasu, an album called Jin Jin. It's a collection of Okinawan nursery rhymes arranged by Takashi and recorded in a traditional Okinawan house, with only very minimal overdubs, so it has a very intimate feel. Some of it has a very oriental feel, other parts are more jazzy...the frantic pace of the title track reminds me a little of parts of Amarok...
The pair have a great sense of humour - their performance at the Purcell Room in London is one of the most enjoyable I've ever been to. At times they had everyone, including themselves, in stitches. It's not novelty music though - just fun.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 31 2005, 15:18

Riverside - Out of Myself

A great debut album from this young Polish band. The sticker on the CD case says, “a mixture of Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd and Anathema”. I guess that sold me the album before I heard any music!  :D

Track 1 starts with radio sounds, before kicking in with 12 minutes that is ‘The same River’ - featuring spacey synthesizer accompanied by some very subtle guitar licks and bass lines. It also features some very weird, maybe sampled vocal lines. The song features many changes in direction and is typical of the new wave of progressive rock/metal being released at the moment. After about 7 minutes the vocals kick in properly. Wonderful. Then on to a grand finale with the last couple of minutes featuring a very melancholic part with some nice laidback guitarwork, which is followed by an amazing guitar solo that ends the song. This song is worth the asking price by itself.

Now I could bore you to tears and write a track by track review, but all I can say is that if you are into any of the aforementioned bands, along with Opeth and Pain of Salvation, then this is an album for you! :D

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: May 31 2005, 16:04

This is a great topic! I love reading about what everybody here likes to listen to.
Im playing  something totally different from Mike, Tom Waits: All The World Is Green. Waits tells great stories and the clarinet on this song is beautiful.
Mike is is still unmatched!
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:12

I listen to what I want,no mather what kind of fan I am,and since this topic is specially made for those who listen what they want,let it flow:

Jean Michel Jarre - Metamorphoses

...but to please...

Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
                     Islands
                     QE2

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 02 2005, 06:29

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets (1968)

-I love so much this album

Klaus Schulze - Angst (1984)

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 03 2005, 18:07

NP "Mother Love" by Queen  :) , beautiful song and lyrics,hasbeen known to bring a tear to my eye . I'm sure Queen need no  introduction here.  Mother Love is taken from the posthumous "Made In Heaven". Freddie Mercury's vocals were recorded before he died, cry,cry,cry. Messrs May, Deacon, and Taylor put the finishing touches to the album in '95. A fitting tribute to a great man.

Other music on my playlist today has been:

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn, pure perfection   :)
Mostly Autumn- Music Inspired By Lord Of The Rings
Therion - "The Wonderous World Of Punt", played 5 times) .  I don't know much about Therion, as this was a track included on a CD burn of various artists I've been given, all I know is I need some more   :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 03 2005, 21:05

|Hmm.."It Bites"..i run to that big box under the attic and discover something about "Calling All The Hero's"...

From Alan's comments on classical album's and all the other recommended stuff on this thread, I've been tempted into some new areas. So this thread is working for me.

And now, having just got back from Disney Paris, I'm going to go on a Vangleis/JMJ kick 'cos that's what was playing on their PA system all the time.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 01:25

Klaus Schulze - Body Love (1977)

--------------
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 05 2005, 03:35

Jean Michel Jarre - Cities In Concert Houston Lyon (1987)
                            Revolutions(1988)
 Tangerine Dream - Atem (1973)
                            Rockface (2003)
 Rick Wakeman - Sea Airs (1989)

--------------
Profile PM 
6009 replies since April 23 2005, 14:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (301) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net