Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (301) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What are you playing this very second?, Just name the artist and track!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 06 2005, 18:23

Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 19:25

The Rolling Stones- Sympathy For The Devil, I feel the urge to dance coming on :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 19:34

The Rolling Stones- Sympathy For The Devil, I feel the urge to dance coming on :)  :D .

Thanks  Dad, for getting me into The Stones :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 06 2005, 23:55

Ok guys...7th page...

This is beginning to become rather pointless - there's next to no discussion here, just a list. You can get plugins for winamp which will do the same job, listing on a web page what's in your playlist and what you have playing at the moment. I've had a go at people before for making one-sentence posts which don't contribute anything by way of discussion, and I think the same has to go for here, really.

We now have a good idea of what everyone listens to when they're visiting, and how diverse everyone's tastes are, and so I think the topic has more than fulfilled its purpose. If you want to carry on the topic and discuss the music you're listening to a bit more, then you're welcome to, but please, no more one-liners.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 08:14

Simple question Korgscrew. What difference does it make? I enjoy looking up what others are listening to and trying samples out for myself. dkaycom for instance has come up with some artists I have never heard of and I have done searches for these and learned more as a result.

Seven pages to me suggests it is popular amongst some posters and I can't understand what you consider to be 'rather pointless'. I could be equally pedantic and suggest that on this occasion, your administration is over the top, intrusive and unwarranted.

I apologise if I sound harsh, but you have really pissed me off.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 09:44

Ok, sorry, I handled this badly. I'm glad you've told me that, as I'm finding it very hard to judge these days whether I'm doing things right or not. Perhaps it's just because it's only now that I'm really realising the full depth of the task, or perhaps it's more to do with other things which I won't bore you with here. Let's just say I'm not having the easiest of times here at the moment.

Anyway, I stand by the basic aim of my suggestion - and it should have probably been put forward as that rather than in the rather blunt way I did it - and that is that I think it would be nice if there was more discussion going on here. A better word than discussion, in fact, would be description...it would be nice to know what kind of music is being talked about here, and why the listener likes it...or indeed doesn't like it (but is for some reason playing it anyway! ).

For example, I could tell you now that I'm listening to Barbara Buchholz - Coyote. Some people would read that, think "Never heard of her" and move on - I guess that you maybe wouldn't, but I think a lot would...
But if I add that Barbara Buchholz is one of the few professional players of the theremin, the world's only serious musical instrument played without contact, and that she uses it on her album Theremin: Russia With Love, from which the track comes, to create some of the most hauntingly beautiful electro acoustic soundscapes I've ever heard...isn't that more interesting to read? I'd think it would at least help you to decide whether it was worth looking her up or not, and it might even encourage a few other people to look her up who'd have otherwise just scrolled to the bottom of the page to add their own entry.

That was really my reason for the post above, that it felt like there wasn't much interaction between people going on here. Perhaps people were doing more than just scrolling to the bottom to add their own current track, but I was missing the evidence...

So, my apologies for being rather heavy above, it wasn't called for, but I do stand by my feeling that it would be nice to see more discussion and description and not just listing.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 07 2005, 11:50

Thanks Korgscrew. I apologise for not taking into consideration the amount of work you must have on your plate and I do think that there is something in what you suggest. A description to go with the artist and album would be more informative for those unlikely to search out samples of material they have never heard of. Anyway, I appreciate your response and personally, I will add more to my posts on this thread.

Now, to Barbara Buchholz - Coyote. I am intrigued. I have only seen the Theremin played twice. Once was by a member of the Polyphonic Spree when they played the London Astoria in November 2004. The second time was on a Bill Bailey DVD - 'Part Troll'. All I can say is that it produces one of the most unique sounds and I would love to have a go at playing one!  ;)

As for it being the world's only serious musical instrument played without contact, Jarre might consider his Laser Harp is being overlooked.  :)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 12:33

Barbara is a student of Lydia Kavina, the great niece of Leon Theremin. I have a CD of Lydia's too, which is more in the modern classical genre. I think that's less likely to appeal to those who aren't real enthusiasts, though it displays her accuracy on the instrument well (believe me, accuracy is a hard thing to achieve! ). There's another album of Lydia live in Italy which I don't have (unavailable at the moment), which contains perhaps more easily approachable material.
Best of all for most is likely to be Clara Rockmore's 'The Art of the Theremin' - she's considered the best player of all time, and her repertoire is quite gentle classical material. It's a very chilled out recording from a true master musician (she was a greatly admired violinist before she switched to the theremin, after having trouble with her bowing arm). I can't listen to other renditions of the pieces on the album without thinking of how it sounds when she plays it - she really makes them her own. Some would accuse her of having looked to the past rather than the future with her fairly conservative choice of repertoire - the opposite of Barbara Buchholz, who is keen to move the instrument forward (while still keeping it musical, rather than just making whooping noises all the time). I'm quite happy to listen to, and be inspired by both. To keep things on topic, I've just put Clara's album on now!

I'd forgotten about the laser harp, actually. A lot of the other light-based instruments (I'm thinking of things like the Alesis Air Synth and the D Beam controllers in Roland gear) don't give anything like the kind of control needed to make them 'serious' instruments (neither do a great deal of theremins - if you're ever curious enough as to want to buy one, beware of the cheap ones that you might see on eBay and other places. They can be great fun, but virtually impossible to use musically...well, we can always start a TubularTech topic about this if anyone's really curious).
A very demanding instrument, but it can sound beautiful when things work out right (and absolutely horrible when they don't). My favourite moment with it was after a performance when someone complimented me on my singing...she left before I asked how she thought I could sing that high! Maybe it's best I don't think too much about what the answer could have been actually...
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 13:05

inspired by your conversation I've playin' now:

Covenant - Theremin (Club Mix)

not much too do with the instrument itself, listenable @ Covenant's website   http://www.covenant.se/
It has always been one of my fav. electronic tracks, especially 'cause of the not-so-empty lyrics
http://plastiq-flowers.de/LYRICS/theremin.htm

greetz,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 07 2005, 16:14

Korgscrew, thanks for the additional information on the Theremin and key players of this instrument. I am going to explore this further.

As for this evening, I am having a Kitaro binge - mainly material from the late 70s/early 80s. I think the closest I could classify his music in terms of genre would have to be New Age, although I'm not sure that this tag doesn't do his music a huge disservice insofar as most may find the term 'New Age' a turn off. I suppose it would be more appropriate to say that he is like a cross between Jarre and Vangelis - a Japanese version. There is a great emphasis on texture and melody, with Kitaro playing a range of instruments, including Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Prophet and Mini Moog synthesizers, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, mellotron, drums, percussion, tabla, and Irish harp.

I am currently playing 'Silk Road 1' with the track 'Silk Road (Shichu No Michi)' actually inspiring my wife to take notice. She reckons the tune (well, chord structure anyway) is a dead ringer for 'I Am Sailing' by Rod Stewart. I sang this over the top of the track and ....well ....she's right!   :O I'm going to try and put this little discovery to the back of my mind and will not let it spoil the listening experience!  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 17:13

Theramim, a very spooky sound, yet used by the very unspooky Beach Boy's on Good Vibrations.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 17:21

ps mentioned earlier on Millenium Bell topic about other sites,in particular the anything goes full on ignorant, in yer face metal site,believe if you will has a what did you have for breakfast thread,,,,,,,,now that is one to pull the plug on.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 18:32

Still going with Jarre here on my side - your mentioning of the theremin reminded me of the (almost) lyrical-voice-like sounds that JMJ managed to get out of it, on Oxygene and elsewhere (I think some of it is also in Chronologie). IMHO it's a very, very nice instrument, and absolutely not at all out of fashion - I've seen it recently used at the Old Friends concert by Simon & Garfunkel's keyboardist (Rob Schwimmer, I think), and by at least three electronic-oriented Italian bands. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 19:31

Currently playing Deep Purple- Lazy.

Regarding the  most recent posts have been about the use of the Theremin in music, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Led Zeppelin.  Jimmy Page plays a Theremin in the middle section of "Whole Lotta Love", especially good is the live version from "The Song Remains The Same. It's so wonderfully spooky and haunting     :).  
Korgscrew:  I've heard of Clara Rockmore and Lydia Kavina but not Barbara Buchholz, is there anywhere to hear some of their work?  I too am now interested in exploring this further
 :).

BTW  I like this topic T4, have discovered new bands as a result of this, I'll have to check out  their music.  I do agree with both yourself and Korgscrew that if more info can be added to the posts rather than just having lists it would make it much more interesting  :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 20:02

I have to say that i totally agree with T4 regarding this thread. I also like to see what others have listened to because there is a lot of good music out there that i have not heard before. I have, through this particular thread been introduced to several arists that i had never listened to before. I think this is the best thread running at the momment.  :)

I sense there has been a bit of anguish flying around this fine evening!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 22:12

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 27 2005, 20:40)
Mike Oldfield - Pacha Mama
(the only tune I save from Millennum Bell  :laugh: )

Is that your favorite track? Or the only track you even like from The Millenium Bell?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 08 2005, 07:06

Quote (Ugo @ May 07 2005, 23:32)
Still going with Jarre here on my side - your mentioning of the theremin reminded me of the (almost) lyrical-voice-like sounds that JMJ managed to get out of it, on Oxygene and elsewhere (I think some of it is also in Chronologie).

To let you in on a not so little not-so-secret, Jarre is an awful theremin player! I believe the only album where he uses it is Oxygène 7-13, and to be really honest, I can't even hear any theremin on there - Oxygène 10, which has been said to be played on theremin, is just a synthesiser. He uses the theremin when he plays that track live though, and proves to any doubters that he couldn't possibly have played any of those melodies on the instrument! I shouldn't mock him too much, as it can be a fiendishly difficult instrument to play, but I could play stuff like that with my feet (seriously...).

You can find more on Barbara Buchholz at her website.

Good Vibrations is of course a very well known theremin track...just without any theremin! Brian Wilson was inspired by its sound, but when it came to record the final track, the part was played by Paul Tanner on his tannerin, which was played with a slider for more accuracy (it was electronically completely different too, but let's not go there...). Still, the song's been famous for its theremin content ever since, and if it encourages a few people to try it, it can't be a bad thing!

To be clear on this thread, I never wanted to close it, just to get away from the mere listing - which we've done. But enough discussion on that, we've had it out already.

No music playing for me now. The guitar's in my lap and it's up to me to extract music from wood and steel. Makes a change from pulling it out of thin air...
Profile PM 

Posted: May 08 2005, 08:10

Lacrimosa - Stille

In a nutshell, this is Symphonic Gothic music of the highest order. Lacrimosa is a German duo consisting of Tilo Wolff and Ann Nurmi formed in 1990. They started their own record label, Hall of Sermon.

Lacrimosa's music is dark, melodious, ambient and symphonic in what could be described as Darkwave / Doom metal with forays into progressive, even heavy metal.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 08 2005, 18:29

@ Korgscrew: isn't there a theremin going ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo :laugh: in Oxigène (1976),during part 1 and somewhere during part 2 as well? ;) Or is it simply a synth?

I have to admit I've no idea at all about Jarre's proficiency (or non-proficiency) on the theremin, as I've never seen him play the thing live - I've never seen him live at all. :D But I agree that the weird antenna (or aerial?) is really hard to pull decent, perfectly-in-key notes out of. I've tried with a modern replica here, and it's hard. :) But of course there are people around who manage the thing quite well.

I don't think it sounds spooky. The fact that it was used in horror movies to make sounds supposed to be spooky nowadays makes me laugh. I think that TB's repeating piano theme is much spookier, not because of its association with The Exorcist, and two close notes (one tone or one semitone apart) being played (and held) simultaneously with a string sound are as well.

Back on topic: Mike Oldfield - Turtle Island and Tr3s Lunas (the song), up to no more than ten minutes ago. Also playing along with them. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 08 2005, 19:01

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 08 2005, 13:06)
Brian Wilson was inspired by its sound, but when it came to record the final track, the part was played by Paul Tanner on his tannerin, which was played with a slider for more accuracy [...]

I just remembered something...

Almost a year ago, two friends of mine developed a MIDI controller which they called "Synth Slider". Their intention was to reproduce the portamento effect which was typical of the MiniMoog and other old synths, but controlling it better. It's a touch-sensitive thin metal bar, rectangular-shaped (roughly 2 cm in height and 30 cm in length), enclosed in a red plastic box. By connecting this to a rack unit by E-MU called "Vintage Keys", which simulates the sound of a MiniMoog, you play a note, then you put your fingers on the bar, the note is held and you can slide it up and down the scale with a portamento effect. :) Keys are drawn on the bar for better reference, but the bar can also play quarter-of-tone notes which stand between two keys. One time I played in an amateur band that featured the two guys who invented this, we played "Good Vibrations" (we had some good singers there) and it was perfect. :)
My friends never patented this thing because they thought it looked too similar to the "Ribbon Controller" on recent Roland synths. :)

Sorry for going way off-topic. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
6009 replies since April 23 2005, 14:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (301) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net