Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (301) < ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What are you playing this very second?, Just name the artist and track!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
amarokian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2005, 12:56

Tangerine Dream - Montreal April 9th 1977 (2004)

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: June 08 2005, 16:14

Carole King - Tapestry. I heard a cover of "I feel the earth move" the other day which made me dig out this album once again. What an album!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 08 2005, 16:17

Quote (Ratty @ June 08 2005, 16:14)
Carole King - Tapestry. I heard a cover of "I feel the earth move" the other day which made me dig out this album once again. What an album!!!

Can't help but mention the similarity in title and overall lyrics with one of Oldfield's songs,

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2005, 16:43

I was just listening to "Tago Mago" on headphones. It's really disorienting at times, and not an album I'd listen to concentrate on work, overall. :) I need to listen it once more to focus on the album as a whole, and to make my mind better. But it's a really great "Krautrock" album, very eccentric.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 08 2005, 16:59

NP Edgar Broughton Band - "Don't Even Know Which Day It Is"

I'm sure you're all familiar with Steve Broughton, as he played drums on Tubular Bells Part 2, but for those of you not familiar with EBB, here' a brief history:

Formed in Warwick, England, line up of Rob "Edgar" Broughton (guitar and vocals) Rob's younger brother Steve (drums) Arthur Grant (bass and vocals), and Vic Unitt (guitar), champions of any radical cause that needed their support. "Proto punks", some 7-8 years before Messrs Lydon and Rotten and co.     Originally a blues band, they embraced the then emerging psycheldelic scene. Vic Unitt frustrated by this, left the band (he played on Parachute album by the Pretty Things), to later rejoin for the "EBB" album in 1971.      
The band would often play for free at many open air concerts, often performed on the back of trucks  :) , and became regulars on the free festival circuit.

In 1968 the band moved to London in search of  a record contract , and to play their music to a wider audience, they came to the attention of then Pink Floyd managers Peter Jenner and Andrew King of Blackhill Enterprises. Through Blackhill EBB signed to EMI Records in December 1968. Their first single "Evil"/Death of an Electric Citizen was the first record to be released on EMI's Progressive label "Harvest", followed by the album" Wasa Wasa", a few weeks later.
EBB went on to record four more albums on the Harvest label,Five if you include "Keep Them Freaks A Rollin' Live at Abbey Road December 1969", which I'm pleased to say the tapes of this performance were re discovered, and finally got to see the light of day as a CD release October last year   :).  A change of management and a record contract with N.E.M.S. saw a release of an album "Bandages" in 1975, now deleted AFAIK. I believe one of the tracks features an appearance by Mike Oldfield, but I don't know which one. Incidentally a teenage Mike plays mandolin on "Thinking Of You" off 1971's self titled "EBB" album      :) .

Other albums on my playlist earlier today
Queen - A Day At The Races
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Mike Oldfield- Hergest Ridge (Original Mix)
Robert Plant - Mighty Rearranger

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 08 2005, 17:25

Quote (Ratty @ June 08 2005, 21:14)

Thanks Ratty, I've just seen your post, this has made me dig out my CD of "Tapestry" out, I haven't played it for a few months now :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 02:31

Tangerine Dream - Montreal April 9th 1977 (2004)
                         Paris February 2nd 1981 (2004)
                         Sydney February 22nd 1982 (2004)
Pink Floyd - The Wall

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 06:15

while writing this ,i am listening to Peter gabrial,salsbury hill.   :)

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 06:35

Just put on Kill Bill sound track ,Ennio morricone ,superb ,does anybody else out there like his music. :)

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 17:06

yeah, the music from the movie The Mission, it's great.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 19:11

@ Afghan: I absolutely love Morricone. He and Hans Zimmer are my fav film composers.

On topic: presently spinning on my player, a disc of various Oldfield rarities I made a lot of time ago. I dug it out because Wreckorder Wrondo is on it... I had no idea [honestly!!] about that tune being mediaeval, or 1600s, or anyway traditional, before I heard it performed as such on Blackmore's Night latest live DVD... and this made me dig out my MO rarities home-made CD. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: June 14 2005, 14:25

Octavarium - Dream Theater.

A return to form for Dream Theater after their ultra heavy and less progressive 'Train of Thought' from 2003.

I could write a lengthy review of the whole album but some of the tracks are standard DT fare insofar as they excel at prog metal and remain head and shoulders above the rest, especially with this latest offering.

However, 3 tracks really do stand out. And I suppose they are 3 that come across as the most heavily influenced by others. Firstly, 'I Walk Beside You' is the band's stab at writing a four-minute hit single. The track is indeed a very commercial sounding pop-rock song, which leans heavily on the sound of U2.

Secondly, 'Never Enough' is as blatant a Muse copy as you'll hear. Fast sequencers, heavy guitar riffs, a somewhat monotonous, hypnotising drum rhythm and a distorted, high-pitched, heavy breathing vocal style. It is one of the most refreshing sounding songs they have done in years (despite leaning so heavily on the sound of another band).

Finally, the masterpiece - the eponymous track 'Octavarium'. 24 minutes of bliss!!! It starts with a long Shine On-like guitar intro, though played as if by Steve Howe, rather than David Gilmour. Yes references are even more obvious when the rest of the band kicks in, though the atmosphere quickly gives way to Genesis, with the first half of the song being mainly acoustic guitars, vocals and flute. The Obligatory Moog Solo has Jordan Rudess doing his best Rick Wakeman impression, though it is done in Dream Theater style: it goes on for a good three minutes and contains more notes a second than Steve Vai on speed. The third section of the song is called Full Circle and this is literally Mike Portnoy's ode to prog as the lyrics consist of nothing but word-jokes listing his favourite songs, bands and more. If you listen closely you can make out Beatles tracks like Day Tripper, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Get Back, Genesis' Supper's Ready and Cinema Show, Floyd's Careful With That Axe Eugene and Yes' Machine Messiah, as well as My Generation (The Who), Show Me The Way (Pete Frampton), Light My Fire (The Doors) and more. Utilising a full chamber orchestra, the closing section Razor's Edge is the juiciest and meatiest of prog climaxes you can imagine. A nice little touch is that the song finishes with the opening notes of 'The Root Of All Evil' - the first track on the album, so it literally has come full circle and one is sorely tempted to play the album again...and again...and....again!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 15 2005, 01:14

Tangerine Dream - Mota Atma (2003)
 Vangelis - Beaubourg (1978)
 Klaus Schulze & Andreas Grosser - Babel (1985)
 Klaus Schulze - X (1978)

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 16 2005, 18:55

Home Made compilation tape from 1979, when I got my first decent tin box record player with line out (paid for with my paper round earnings).

ELO,
Mike (of course) - Guilty, how the girls loved my blue 12 inches
Jon & Vangelis
Violinski
New Musik
Sally Oldfield - mirrors

So now I can't dig any further back, that's pretty much the start of my music history. Time for a new thread then..what was your first recording you owned?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 19 2005, 17:39

Right now I'm listening to Beck  Guero which is marvelous. Went to see them a couple of weeks ago.....superb!

And my first ever recording was a little 45 by the New Seekers called Cicles or even,  Circles ( I've had a glass or two of wine)  I still love the innocence and simplicity of that track. Not that long after I became interested in Mr Oldfield's music.  Ahhh!!!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 20 2005, 10:55

The Damned: Shadow of love.

Boy, that is a great song. In the "darker, moodier vein", indeed.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 21 2005, 04:50

I'm listening to Donovan, recent CD reissues of his albums Sunshine Superman and Mellow Yellow with lots of bonus songs.  I like Donovan.  He's such a gentle and optimistic soul and he helps heal me when I'm feeling bludgeoned by the world.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 21 2005, 07:50

Quote (familyjules @ June 21 2005, 09:50)
I like Donovan.  He's such a gentle and optimistic soul and he helps heal me when I'm feeling bludgeoned by the world.

But doesn't your heart bleed with embarrassment for him when he plays for Dylan in 'Don't Look Back', and then Dylan responds with 'It's all over now Baby Blue'?

I'm playing at the moment the new Alanis Morissette album, which is an acoustic revisiting of 'Jagged Little Pill', about which I have two things to say.

First, I continue to be sickened by the brash, soul-less marketeering (and counter-marketeering) of the music industry. In this case, the album was to be released exclusively through Starbucks coffee houses for the first 6 weeks. Not surprisingly, some record chains (eg HMV) have therefore decided to remove ALL her CDs from their shelves and refuse to sell them, in protest against the exclusivity of the deal and the consequent loss of their expected sales. So thanks to the Great God Greed, everybody loses - and especially the people who care about her music but who can't readily visit a Starbucks.

Meanwhile, I bought mine on eBay within a couple of days of its release, wishing a plague on all their houses, and revelling in the democratising power of eBay that simply elbows aside those who wish to control how we spend our money.

Second, the album itself. Weird. First time I heard it - those familiar songs sung with the maturity of an extra ten years' experience - I was quite overwhelmed, thinking perhaps this may become the definitive version, free from the uncontrolled screechiness that spoiled some songs. Second time of hearing, I found myself becoming bored. Here and now, the third time of hearing - I've switched it off before the end.

I've never switched so fast from hot to cold before with any album. Rather puzzled, to tell the truth.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 21 2005, 08:11

Robert Plant & Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger, very, very good :)

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 21 2005, 12:00

Quote (Alan D @ June 21 2005, 07:50)
But doesn't your heart bleed with embarrassment for him when he plays for Dylan in 'Don't Look Back', and then Dylan responds with 'It's all over now Baby Blue'?

Nah, not really.  I think that any commentary was being made by DA Pennebaker, not Bobby himself.  Bob liked him.  Bob prolly wishes he could be that happy!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
6009 replies since April 23 2005, 14:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (301) < ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net