Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What are the instruments that Mike CAN'T play?, Trying to make a (short) list...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 23 2010, 04:44

Quote (milamber @ Aug. 23 2010, 09:22)
Seriously it's not an Instrument.
No learning curve , practice and or theory involved .

Disagree on this. As the Vuvuzela music FAQ describes, it can be used as an instrument. So can spoons! And Washboards.

I guess if you were to be pedantic pretty much anything can be a musical instrument so long as you use it to produce music  ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 23 2010, 04:52

Spoons and Washboards, both were used for another purpose initially .

Cant say i'd like to wash my clothes or eat my cereal with a Vuvuzela :laugh:
But I see your point.
You should see some buskers in Melbourne playing drums on anything they can hit including some nice sounding Mc D pickle containers. :D
Profile PM 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 23 2010, 08:21

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 22 2010, 22:38)
the concertina is a kind of small accordion, so it's a keyboard instrument. Mike can play all sorts of keyboard instruments. :)

It is sort of a small accordion, but a button accordion, not a keyboard one. Also, the layout is different, and some kinds of concertinas will even sound different notes on push and pull of the bellows. Keyboard skills don't really translate to it.

Not saying that Mike surely can't play it, mind you.

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2010, 17:50

Quote (Matt @ Aug. 23 2010, 10:44)
I guess if you were to be pedantic pretty much anything can be a musical instrument so long as you use it to produce music  ;)

Well, Matt, according to this logic we should take Mike's "instruments list" on Amarok 100% earnestly. "Face Slap" ? "Toy Dog" ? "Contents of Aeromodeller's Toolkit" ? Are any of these musical instruments? They all make some kind of noise on Amarok, so I guess they may be termed as such. :D

By the way, there actually is an object which plays only one note (or, at best, two) and I've quite often seen classed as a proper musical instrument: the Brazilian samba whistle. Mike does play that whistle in various points of Amarok (again). :) And a musical composition called "One-Note Samba" not only actually exists - it's quite popular.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2010, 17:55

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 23 2010, 17:50)
Quote (Matt @ Aug. 23 2010, 10:44)

Well, Matt, according to this logic we should take Mike's "instruments list" on Amarok 100% earnestly. "Face Slap" ? "Toy Dog" ? "Contents of Aeromodeller's Toolkit" ? Are any of these musical instruments? They all make some kind of noise on Amarok, so I guess they may be termed as such. :D

By the way, there actually is an object which plays only one note (or, at best, two) and I've quite often seen classed as a proper musical instrument: the Brazilian samba whistle. Mike does play that whistle in various points of Amarok (again). :) And a musical composition called "One-Note Samba" not only actually exists - it's quite popular.

Face slap! That's brilliant. Sounds like a GG Allin concert where you turn up just discover that you are the percussion.  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 23 2010, 20:08

By the way, there actually is an object which plays only one note (or, at best, two) and I've quite often seen classed as a proper musical instrument: the Brazilian samba whistle. Mike does play that whistle in various points of Amarok (again). :)

I think that may be classified as a percussion instrument, actually. And by the way, many percussion instruments also play a single "note", whether it's determinate or not, and they not only are considered as actual instruments, but are used by serious composers in serious orchestras. Anyone heard of the whip or the lion's roar?

And a musical composition called "One-Note Samba" not only actually exists - it's quite popular.

That's not a "one-note" composition, though, and the title is really a lighthearted joke. My favourite rendition is probably the kickass cover by Stereolab with Herbie Mann.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2010, 20:19

@ Sir M.: I heard of the whip, here it's very common in brass-and-woodwind ensembles. And, as far as I know, all of the percussion instruments are considered musical instruments. Why shouldn't they? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2010, 21:06

Don't forget the triangle. There's a section in Liszt's first piano concerto where there is virtually a triangle solo, and he makes it indeed sound like a genuine instrument!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2019, 02:16

Quote (wiga @ Mar. 16 2010, 08:20)
I should imagine he can play anything, but might struggle with the French horn.. or the oboe.

Mike plays the wreck order superbly, so it's hard to imagine he'd have trouble with the owe bow. Besides, Monty Python points out it's simply a matter of moving your fingers up and down the sides  :D
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 07 2021, 17:01

harp, harp and accordion
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 08 2021, 07:33

Quote (bluemlein @ April 07 2021, 17:01)
harp, harp

Oi - I wasn't harping. That's the only interpretation I can put on your words, as I'm sure Mr Oldfield CAN play the harp and accordion.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 08 2021, 07:34

Quote (bluemlein @ April 07 2021, 17:01)
harp, harp

Oi - I wasn't harping. That's the only interpretation I can put on your words, as I'm sure Mr Oldfield CAN play the harp and accordion.
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 09 2021, 14:43

two harps - harmonica and actual harp . . . just sayin LOL ;)
Profile PM 
32 replies since Mar. 15 2010, 06:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net