Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What about Amber Light lyrics? (TMB)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 24 2000, 20:45

Does anybody know what language the african lyrics are in on Amber Light and what they mean?

My guess is Xhosa and something to do with the new dawn or the new millennium (that's next year, by the way. All the more reason to have another party this December)
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: July 25 2000, 02:52

Hi,
All TMB Lyrics are available at DarkStar
www.mikeoldfield.org/mblyrics.htm

But : if you can find the translation of
"Ekusene Kuya Kanya" (The dawn is bright) there's no more information about what language it is !

Cheers,
GMOVJ
PS : btw, Yep, the new millenium is next year... wink Another Concert !!!!

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: July 25 2000, 10:08

In the booklet for my copy of TMB (8573808852), this was written in the explanation of Amber Light:
"The track is a modern hymn featuring a massive gospel choir who raise the roof as they hail "beautiful dawn" (sung in a South African dialect)"

I too agree that the new millenium starts next year. There are actually errors in the years of our calendar which mean that it really happened at least 7 years or so ago. However, if you disregard those errors (which we should do, as nobody is simply going to add or subtract years from the current year figure to correct this) then since the first year AD was 1 (NOT ZERO!!!!) it should happen at the start of 2001 (2000 years later).

It would be great if Mike did another "millennium" concert to celebrate this. Perhaps in Western Australia. Okay, I realise that he hasn't toured Australia in 18 years and that there aren't many fans down here, so I guess I'm just kidding myself.

[This message has been edited by rosko (edited 07-25-2000).]
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: July 25 2000, 15:15

Oh yeah. I should have looked at the notes

I think I was put off looking at them because it says 'Captures the Period' in the comments about The Doge's Palace. - hardly
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 08 2001, 16:26

Greetings!

I've been reviewing a few things lately.... sections of this forum, my ancient, reconstructed inboxes, etc. and came across several exchanges of letters from Ron van Lingen. As you recall, he's the guy who provided information about some of the Amarok lyrics. (-; I had had permission to post this stuff to the Amarok Mailing List (gee, I may have even done so??) and here too, but had encouraged him to join us over here. I suspect time prevented it, and in my own time challenges of life, I forgot to see where we were with this.

At the moment, Ron's emails are bouncing, so in the interest of time & before my mailboxes blow up again.....a millennium later, here are those comments from him regarding Amber Light that you might find of interest:

"Ekuseni(-e) is derived from the adverb kusasa, which means: "early in the
morning/ daybreak". Therefore ekuseni(-e) means "at daybreak" (in both
Xhosa & Zulu).....Xhosa/Zulu is a very
descriptive language.

"Khanya is a verb which means: "shine/ to be bright/ " or even closer: "beam
forth/ emanate/ emit/ radiate light".

"Kuya is actually part of the verb khanya and fulfils the role of auxiliary
verb. Roughly translated it means "will".

"Let us review the sentence. Ekuseni(-e) kuya k(h)anya literally means:
"At daybreak will light shine/ emanate/ beam forth". If one reconstructs
this sentence according to western grammar rules, it should look something
like: "The light will shine (I like "radiate" more) at daybreak.

"Do you sense a deaper meaning in this sentence? It is the Xhosa/Zulu way of
expressing a message of hope at the end of a dark(somber) period. The light WILL SHINE at the end of the night - there will be hope. It blends in perfectly with "Sunlight shining through cloud" and gives a new meaning to
the noun "amberlight".

Ekusene Kuya Kanya indeed!!!!

M-C, searching for Ron

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2018, 20:47

Quote (rosko @ July 25 2000, 10:08)
It would be great if Mike did another "millennium" concert to celebrate this. Perhaps in Western Australia. Okay, I realise that he hasn't toured Australia in 18 years and that there aren't many fans down here, so I guess I'm just kidding myself.

I've just put this down in my diary for December 31 2999!  :cool:
Profile PM 
5 replies since July 24 2000, 20:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net