Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 07:15

Do you have Sir Adrian Boult's 'Introduction' to 'The Apostles' and 'The Kingdom'?

No, sadly i do not.
I've got a version by the L.Ph.O. conducted by Leonard Slatkin (recorded at Abbey Road studio 1 in 1988  :)  )
Only a short introduction is included in the booklet.
Oh well, I'll have to buy the Apostles one day and compare for myself.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2008, 23:07

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 03 2007, 13:40)
I am "Completely round the hatrack" as so my boyfriend would say, it's a Warwickshire expression for being a bit nuts

Didn't Steeleye Span do a song about that??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 26 2008, 01:07

Quote (Sydslittlebiscuit @ Oct. 05 2007, 03:36)
...we can expect too much of a good thing all the time from him, surely he entitled to have a little restbite now and again...

Yes, a little respite, now and again, is good. But now I'm wondering if this "restbite" thing is what's really in order? Surely, such an event would have Mike back on his feet and raring to record again?  *anticipates fannishly*

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: July 02 2008, 04:00

You know, just read the OP - what was I thinking?  They are right - this really is a load of tosh - no idea why I have this urge to listen to it so often    ;)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 14:46

Quote (trcanberra @ July 02 2008, 04:00)
You know, just read the OP - what was I thinking?  They are right - this really is a load of tosh - no idea why I have this urge to listen to it so often

:O  NoooOOOooo... it can't be. Please, tell me you were joking, TR.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 08 2008, 15:24

You know, just read the OP - what was I thinking?  They are right - this really is a load of tosh - no idea why I have this urge to listen to it so often

To make the pleasant moments more precious, of course!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 04:05

Quote (Sweetpea @ July 08 2008, 14:46)

:O  NoooOOOooo... it can't be. Please, tell me you were joking, TR.

Well, yes, I was joking - still love this album, these CDs, whatever they are :)
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 19:11

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 25 2005, 14:31)
To be honest, I don't like the tone being used in some of the posts here. If someone doesn't like it, he/she doesn't like it. It's not narrow minded, and it has nothing to do with knowing what one is talking about. If the reviewer has heard the whole album, and the review is genuine opinion, then it's valid.

By all means question people's way of thinking, but I don't think anyone here is in a position to be able to say that someone who doesn't like the music is wrong. When facts are stated, that's a different matter, they can be verified (whether Mike has done it just to make money or not, for example, can actually be verified, though good luck getting an honest answer...).
It is of course nice when the opinions presented are considered, and not just knee jerk reactions.

I do agree.

I'm glad so many people like it. :cool:

I'm just not one of them. :/

However, each to his own.

It just seems such a fall from the inspired and complex brilliance of Tubular Bells; Hergest Ridge; Ommadawn; TSODE & Amarok to be doing such forgettable minimalist ramblings as these.

A better title for this album might be Sketches - because that's what they remind me of - not fully fleshed out pieces of music.

I also prefered the Oldfield of the many instruments - none of which were digital. Such a masterful guitarist; inspired bassist; tasteful keyboardsman and clever composer comes up with this sort of thing in his sleep. I'd like to see something now when he's woken up again.

OK - it's great to explore and NO artist ever gets it right all the time (except perhaps Jack Bruce) but now - following an extended period of digital cyber-noodling, and recent fully-fledged orchestral material; perhaps it would be a good move to rediscover his roots and give us something to rival (or at least compliment) the five great albums I mention above.

I love MO's music. It is and always has been very important to me. However, I don't l feel any less of a fan for being constructively critical. I have always been a big fan of Eric Clapton. He has produced a lot of dross over the years to tax even the most diehard fan - and he knows it, and has admitted it - but he remains in my eyes the world's greatest white blues-rock guitarist. He deserves that accolade because we know what he is capable of. Very much the same logic applies to Mike Oldfield.

No artist should be told what to do by his fans. He is the creative master of his own destiny - but if Mike was looking in, and was remotely curious about what some of his strongest fans feel and think - one new project which I don't think he has tried would be a completely acoustic album - acoustic guitars, basses, pianos, flutes & other woodwind etc. No electric instruments at all, and certainly no sampling or other digital virtuality. Now that would be something... :)

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 06:07

A difficult album to love straight away, but time & patience can sometimes change a person's initial perspective/opinion.

Perhaps not one of Mike's most complex/comprehensive of works; moreover it could be argued he was in a very lazy mood putting this together, thanks largely to a bunch of tin bloated with fancy software. It is like one of those albums where an artist is trying to pad it out with filler tracks - and L&S is a bit like that.

Having said that, L&S has grown on me over the years, especially "Shade". Although I will quickly add that "Quicksilver" is perhaps one of the worst tracks I have heard on any MO album - a complete mess of jarring electronic anthems that have no direction or melody to them at all. Terrible stuff.

But things certainly improve with "Resolution" and to a slightly lesser extent "Slipstream".

"Surfing" could have been really interesting had it not being for those android vocaloids. Otherwise a great track, especially the distinct MO guitar work of old.

"...Angel" is very good albeit a tad repetitive at times.  

"Romance" reminds me too much of "Quicksilver", but this one sounds as if its high on something. Probably sounded pretty cool and relevant at the time, but now it sounds hopelessly dated.

"Ringscape" on the other hand, grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. An awesome piece of music - computer generated or otherwise. A very under-rated piece, but I adore it. Criminally to short though.

"Nightshade" is one I loathed 2 or 3 years back. But is starting to grow on me. There is so much going on with those overlays & mixes that I feel quite enthused by its rawness, its dark & foreboding energy that could have been topped off with with a typical MO guitar riff solo. All the same, a truly great piece.

The "Light" side, I need more time to listen too before giving a considered opinion, although I will state quite categorically, that I think "Angelique" is amazing, especially using "U-Myx" where I was able to do away with the annoying voice-overs.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 06:23

Quote (New Incantation @ Mar. 08 2010, 11:07)
"Nightshade" is one I loathed 2 or 3 years back. But is starting to grow on me. There is so much going on with those overlays & mixes that I feel quite enthused by its rawness, its dark & foreboding energy that could have been topped off with with a typical MO guitar riff solo. All the same, a truly great piece.

Have you listened to the German promo version? Forget all about the album version!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 06:25

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2005, 18:21)
Am I the only one in here who absolutely loves Romance, Quicksilver, Slipstream, Surfing, Lakme and almost all of the "Light" CD? I have a very vague suspicion that I am. :)

(Five years later): No, Ugo, you're not!  :)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 10:42

Quote (New Incantation @ Mar. 08 2010, 06:07)
"Romance" reminds me too much of "Quicksilver", but this one sounds as if its high on something. Probably sounded pretty cool and relevant at the time, but now it sounds hopelessly dated.

Ehh, it sounded already about 10 years dated the day it came out. I remember I was a little kid when there was this fad of adding house/trace beats to famous pop tunes.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 18:44

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 08 2010, 16:42)
I remember I was a little kid when there was this fad of adding house/trace beats to famous pop tunes.

Hey! Please don't f*ck with one of my fav Shade tracks! :D The basis of "Romance" is not pop - it's classical!! :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 03:26

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 08 2010, 11:23)
Quote (New Incantation @ Mar. 08 2010, 11:07)

Have you listened to the German promo version? Forget all about the album version!

I must confess I haven't. It's been awhile since I last listened to my original L&S copy, but if the German version is a considerable improvement then I'll definitely keep a look out for it.

:D
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 03:29

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 08 2010, 15:42)

Ehh, it sounded already about 10 years dated the day it came out. I remember I was a little kid when there was this fad of adding house/trace beats to famous pop tunes.

Strange this is, I was hugely into House, handbag, trance and garage back in the late 80s and 90s. "Romance" would have been great for that particular era , but as you say it was way past its sell-by in 2005.

give it another 20 years and I'm sure House will be back with a bang: what goes around comes around
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 10:39

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 08 2010, 18:44)
The basis of "Romance" is not pop - it's classical!! :p

Yep, which is what makes it even more egregious.

(now, I'm all in for re-reading classics and reinterpreting them, but THAT way??)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 11:14

The "Light" side, I need more time to listen too before giving a considered opinion, although I will state quite categorically, that I think "Angelique" is amazing, especially using "U-Myx" where I was able to do away with the annoying voice-overs.

I did the exact same thing and it does make a huge improvement. As did the blazing guitar solo I added. :p
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 14:22

Light+Shade made me buy loop based software. Which can be useful. A fine multitrack PC recorder. I thank MO for getting me interested in that. But a "weaker" album in his catalog. But the idea....the software is the important thing. I will use when I get my shite in order(glad I figured out what shite is). Just jerking your chain. I knew what shite was all along.......decades ago. Your jokester,
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net