Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
axious Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:55

Quote (Marky @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:40)
Aptly named, arn't you, anxious?

No not really when you consider the name is axious and not anxious  :zzz:

You probably do not like what I say? Sorry, but there you go. People do have opinions that may differ from yours. That's life.

I will listen to it again, and who knows, maybe after several listens I may grow to "tolerate" it or even "like" it. If I do, I will come back and say so.

Because I can be honest like that. Unlike some people who would "like" his stuff even if he just farted for 45 minutes!  :laugh:

But I stand by what I said earlier.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:08

Quote (axious @ Sep. 26 2005, 21:55)
Because I can be honest like that. Unlike some people who would "like" his stuff even if he just farted for 45 minutes!

I think, because we posted at almost the same time, that you may have missed my post at the end of the previous page. I hope you'll read it.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:21

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Sep. 26 2005, 15:02)
Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 26 2005, 03:56)
He says he doesn't care, but how could he not? He might care more about what the reviewers or the album buying teens think than what the 'true' fans think, and because of it he might end up losing more than he bargained for.

'Each track was like a birth'

I feel that's all I need to say, but I will add that if he didn't care about music then he would not have signed the contract with Mercury records.

I am an optimist, but also a realist. This album will be different from most MO we've had in the past, it's not Amarok or TB, it's new. Mike must still care about music to have made this album, he knows he isn't commercial anymore. If chillout is what he chose to play, then so it shall be.

Oh sorry The Bell(end), what I meant to say there was that he might not care about what the 'true' fans want, (or the reviewers or critics), I didn't mean that he doesn't care about the music. I believe he has put just as much blood, sweat and tears into this album as any other. I think he may have a different way of looking at it now, more interested in the end result than picking up an instrument and playing it, but he is obviously a happier man now and has a family and life and other interests, he doesn't have 24 hours a day to commit to it like he did when he was angst ridden and shut off from the world. Any fan would be mad to wish that on him again. I am happy to enjoy his earlier albums for what they are and his later albums for what they are. And even though I may have my protective blinders on, I still have no doubt that he has much to offer his fans. Really, if I was going to criticise Mike in any way at this point I would only suggest that he start listening to other artists, because it makes no sense to me that he should be chasing that 'commercial hit' dream if he is not even comparing his work to that of others in the charts right now. Having said that though, if his next album was to be a string of covers of Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson songs, I would dive under my pillow!.

Speaking of Kelly Clarkson, how frustrating that every music paper I have scoured for reviews on Mike has had nothing, but has had a full page colour advert for Kelly Clarksons new album. If that is not proof that it's the kiddies who are buying all the albums these days then I will eat my hat (it's made out of straw). Kelly has possibly made more money in her short career than Mike has made in his 32 years! How sad is that?

By the way, The Bell(end), 330 posts in less than 3 months, that must be some kind of record.

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:44

well I said I would reserve judgement despite most fans criticizing the new album until I had sat down and heard it in its entirety...
I have and reckon this is Mike's best work in ages..undoubtedly a work of sheer brilliance. How can any one describe this as crap unless they are listening to something else?
Light is full of classic oldfield tracks..from the wonderful piano playing on Rocky and Blackbird to the truly amazing The gate and Sunset(one of the very best tracks ever. the first CD takes you from the early 80s style guitar playing to TSODE of the 90s and beyond.
Shade is just as good-Surfing will be the big hit of 2005 when released and a certain Xmas number one. Tears of an angel is an amazing piece of work and the extra bonus track Lakme made me want to dance in the garden!
Get behind this CD and stop moaning about everything ..its perfect Oldfield. Or go and listen to Vangelis or something. If you cant appreciate Mike at his very best here just give up being a fan altogether.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 17:53

Hear Hear!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 18:06

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 25 2005, 23:56)
I FEAR that this will be MIKES LAST ALBUM.

Me also with those bunch of non-constructive/agressive reviews...please Mike,be very very strong and I wanna see ya stronger than never against all that stuff...

If you don't like what Mike is doing now,you'd better look for another artist.That's what I do all the times when an artist I enjoy so much did an album that I felt it was real crap.

And I'm sick and tired of those fans who live just from the past...it doesn't matter if you're young or not.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 18:32

But why shouldn't fans live from the past, its a time when Mike, in their opinion wrote his best stuff and they rightly or wrongly just want him to write music like that again, there is nothing wrong with that opinion. Mike is welcome to experiment with whatever sounds or music making devices he wants, of course he is. But that doesn't mean to say he's always successful and doesn't appear, again in some fans views, to know where his limitations lie.

I bought L+S on the way home from work today and I've listened to it once all the way through and i'll have to live with it a lot longer before I can make any sort of educated opinion on it. My initial reaction so far is one of a bit of a non-event, not because I don't like it but generally speaking the best stuff is all off Tres Lunas, which I've listened to umpteen times over the years. And in some ways there were better fan mixes done afew years back than First Steps. Blackbird is quite lovely and TOAA of course is excelent. There is a fair amount of either awful eletronica like Romance or just wishy washy plinky-plonky eletronica like most of Shade.

I'll keep listening though.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 18:59

I will be picking up the album this weekend, but I expected as much, that the album would be be part good and part not so good.

This seems to be getting more common with his latter albums, unlike some of his earlier works, that were just 100% brilliant.

The one consolation is that its not another copout version of Tubular Bells and is instead, an origional piece of work.

Still, I must say that I am looking forward to listening to it  ;)
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 19:02

Quote (MO fan @ Sep. 26 2005, 23:59)
I will be picking up the album this weekend ... I must say that I am looking forward to listening to it  ;)

Its growing on me with each listen.... some of the tracks did sound like other people's work the first time around, but on 2nd and 3rd hearings (of some tracks...my day only has 24 hours) mike's voice is still there strongly, and this album is definitely a "grower".
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 19:03

I'm just curious about the references to Tres Lunas, are some of these tracks the same (or very similar) as the music from the game or 'Tres Lunas 2' which I have a copy of but was never officially released. Can you tell me which tracks are the same?

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 19:16

Well First Steps is a re-recorded collection of some of the better music from Tres Lunas, the game, so most of it is on Tres Lunas 2. Its the lovely guitar tune that plays as you collect the fallen ring from under the cactus, the Sprite game music (rather pointlessly sans wonderful guitar lick) and the swim with the dolphins music.  

God only knows why Mike re-recorded the Sprites game music bit but felt the need to not include the lovely and wonderful little guitar lick that ran through it. WHY? WHY? WHY? That was such a wonderful little tune and it aint here.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 22:31

Well you always have Tr3s Lunas II ;).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 22:59

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 26 2005, 23:32)
But why shouldn't fans live from the past, its a time when Mike, in their opinion wrote his best stuff and they rightly or wrongly just want him to write music like that again, there is nothing wrong with that opinion. Mike is welcome to experiment with whatever sounds or music making devices he wants, of course he is. But that doesn't mean to say he's always successful and doesn't appear, again in some fans views, to know where his limitations lie.

Blackbird is quite lovely and TOAA of course is excelent. There is a fair amount of either awful eletronica like Romance or just wishy washy plinky-plonky eletronica like most of Shade.

I'll keep listening though.

Each to his /her own.  Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge or Tubular Bells it isn't,  but I happen to like it based upon  first hearing :D . Have listened again, but was interrupted.
For me the standout tracks so far are:

Blackbird
The Gate
Tears Of An Angel :) .

I didn't mind the dance orientated tracks, despite not really being a fan of dance music.

My husband quite liked the album, despite his not really being a great fan of Mike's music,  he had gone so far as to say that "Mike Oldfield destroyed his marriage??? :/ .   Did say L&S didn't feature enough guitars, I suggested he really  listens to Ommadawn, especially the guitar climax on Part 1, if he wants guitars, won't find a better guitar piece anywhwere.  He replied that he preferrs Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore and Eddie Van Halen to  Mike.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 00:17

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 26 2005, 19:16)
Well First Steps is a re-recorded collection of some of the better music from Tres Lunas, the game, so most of it is on Tres Lunas 2. Its the lovely guitar tune that plays as you collect the fallen ring from under the cactus, the Sprite game music (rather pointlessly sans wonderful guitar lick) and the swim with the dolphins music.  

God only knows why Mike re-recorded the Sprites game music bit but felt the need to not include the lovely and wonderful little guitar lick that ran through it. WHY? WHY? WHY? That was such a wonderful little tune and it aint here.

Toby do you know the name of this track?

It's not Mikes fault is it that some of us have already heard this music, he has never officially released it before on a music cd.

Has anyone heard of a band called HIM? They are releasing an album through Warner Music on 02.10.05 called 'Dark Light'.

Hi Brendan, Big birthday coming up in a week, Congratulations. Any plans?

Well I have been sitting here since 5am Aussie time, it is now 2pm, that's 9 hours so I am off to have a shower and go for a walk and enjoy this gorgeous spring weather we are having, 24c outside, bloody perfect. See you lot when you wake up.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 04:34

Quote (axious @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:55)
Quote (Marky @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:40)
Aptly named, arn't you, anxious?

No not really when you consider the name is axious and not anxious  :zzz:

You probably do not like what I say? Sorry, but there you go. People do have opinions that may differ from yours. That's life.

I will listen to it again, and who knows, maybe after several listens I may grow to "tolerate" it or even "like" it. If I do, I will come back and say so.

Because I can be honest like that. Unlike some people who would "like" his stuff even if he just farted for 45 minutes!  :laugh:

But I stand by what I said earlier.

Hi axious,(btw my mis spelling of your name in previous post,wasn't intentional).I'm very glad to know that at least you're willing to listen to Light and Shade again.And after that may still think it's not to your taste.That's ok,nobody can demand you've got to like it,just think the word "crap" you used was a bit steep and insult to a man who,IMO will go to great pains to make sure anything he releases,wouldn't sound as dire as this word suggests,that's just my opinion isn't it,and if anyone else chooses to agree with this,then fine-if they don't,they don't.
I will always be perfectly honest ,and far from being a person who has to like everything an artist puts out,just because that artist/band is one I happen to hold in high regard for their work is just not me at all.Light and Shade cd still hasn't arrived in post(from Amazon.com),so after deliberately not listening to any downloads or "tasters" on L+S website,for wanting to hear the entire album fresh in it's entirity,after all this and after giving it a fair "hearing",might be dissappointed.Don't think I will be,but you never know and if I don't like it,will post comment to say just that,and why.
M.O to me,is a man who creates music,at the end of the day,it's his "job of work" - his work just so happens to produce some mighty fine sounds,but I don't personaly like everything he's recorded eg:a certain song from the Islands album makes me near cringe when I hear it.
Anyway,will look forward to hearing what you think of the new album after you've given it another go my friend.

;)  :)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 06:04

Yeh that song Islands with Bonnie Tyler makes me cringe too!

--------------
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 06:11

lol see,didn't even have to say the title did I?! :laugh:

Sorry to have to say this,but thank goodness her dulcet tones aren't gracing either of the L+S cd's :O
Profile PM 
axious Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 11:32

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 27 2005, 04:34)
I'm very glad to know that at least you're willing to listen to Light and Shade again.
And after that may still think it's not to your taste.That's ok,nobody can demand you've got to like it,just think the word "crap" you used was a bit steep and insult to a man who,IMO will go to great pains to make sure anything he releases,wouldn't sound as dire as this word suggests,that's just my opinion isn't it,and if anyone else chooses to agree with this,then fine-if they don't,they don't.

I will always be perfectly honest ,and far from being a person Anyway,will look forward to hearing what you think of the new album after you've given it another go my friend.

Ok here is my new review. I have had several chances to listen to the complete cd again, daytime and evening time. I am trying

to be as honest as I can here, so don't shoot the messenger. This is my opinion of the cd and I would ask that you respect my

views, like I would respect yours. Remember, just because you like it all, doesn't mean everyone else has to!

Here goes:

CD One: LIGHT

1. Angelique
Tr3s Lunas (game)?  The voices almost sound like thiey're saying "Burger meat, burger meat"  lol.  Anyways, I've heard this before and hmmm, I don't really like it all that much. Sounds a bit "weak". I wasn't moved enough with this.

2. Blackbird
Whilst this is nice in a "cutsie" sort of way, I feel this is lacking something...somewhere. I listened to this in the evening, and during the daytime, and I preferred it more during the day. It could be used as a bit of a relaxation tune, but something was missing. However, I feel this could "grow on me" if I listened to it more.

3. The Gate
Sorry, this is horrible. That awful, "ooohoooohooooyarrr" synthesised voice is awful. The track is tuneless, repetitive and boring. I don't like it.

4. First Steps
This track I remember from Tr3s Lunas (game?) so I am pretty used to it. I do think that Mike should have left it in the game though. Again, it just seemed "flat" to me. A non entity. Something is missing from it, and I just don't know what. It just  doesn't move me at all.

5. Closer
The moment I heard the first few bars of this, I immediatly thought "Tattoo" from TBII. Just add bagpipes and you'd be well away with "Tattoo reprise" or something. Noting new in this for me.

6. Our Father
This track sounds familier to me from somewhere, thought I not not where. An old MO tune from the past maybe? Is this just a rehash of something? I can't put my finger on it. Anyway, I listened and thought...."meh, same ol' same ol'". I'm starting to  think this album could be a bit of a mistake. I'll keep listening.

7. Rocky
Ok. This track, hmmm, it could be used in the middle of a film somewhere possibly. This is the best track so far, and in all
honesty is too short really. It was relaxing, and nice. But then, this was just piano and not all that ott electronic stuff. I bet that suprised you?

8. Sunset
Again, this track sounds like it could be used as part of a movie score perhaps, or maybe a tv theme? Yes, that's it. It
reminds me of a tv theme. I could imagine it being used for some tv show/soap with the opening credits showing images (flying over) the Scotish Highlands!
Not bad. I suppose, in a tv theme sort of way.

CD Two: SHADE

1. Quicksilver
Right. This track starts of the first few bars as the boring electronic piano sound then builds up into a sort dance mix with that guitar and electronic piano breaking in. Whilst you could have this track playing in the background, I would imagine it would get on your nerves after a while. I got bored of it after about 5 minutes and wanted it to end.

2. Resolution
There's those horrible electronic voices again.Why is he using them? Sorry, I don't particularly like this track. Whilst it is nice to hear what sounds like "real" drums, and a "real" guitar, those voices spoil it for me. If I could get rid of them, I could put up with this track more.

3. Slipstream
I was expecting this track to build up to some real (hardcore) dance music, but it just seemed to stagnate somewhere near the startline and not quite get going. Some of it could be ok at a rave full of smackheads off thier faces who wouldn't care what they were listening to! Bits are ok, and other bits are lame. "Meh" is all I will say on this one.

4. Surfing
There goes those bloody electronic voices again. Grrrrr. I hate them, I really do. Let the voice be natural, don't screw it up with a computer. The track was tedious and boring and lacked any va va vooom for me. I was bored rigid and put off by 2 minutes 40 secs. I listened to the end though and thought, "na, not liking it much". If I let this one go by me, would I notice it was even there?

5. Tears Of An Angel
This track started then stopped and went into what sounds like the first few bits of "Philadelphia" by Sprinsteen, (a track that I think is wonderful). However, the bloody electronic voices kicked in and spoilt it! Mike, what is it with this fascination with vocoding voices? Natural man, natural!
The guitar was ok, nothing special, but at least the solo at 3:25 actually sounds like the old Mike Oldfield guitar. Then it stops! It was starting to sound ok and it stops! It's almost as if he's chaning his mind all the time. "Yep, I'll do it like this, no, I'll do it like this instead".  Nothing special, but had potential.

6. Romance
The dancey one. This is the one I heard a snippit of before I heard the full track and thought it had potential. I like this kind of dance music, good deep keyboard sounds etc. I have to aks where the bloody hell have I heard the tune before? It sounds so very familier. I know it's staring me right in the face but I cannot think where! lol.  This is the best one so far on Shade. Parts of it sounds almost, Jarre like in a remote sort of way. I could play this nice and loud in the car and have my fingers tapping away to it. Perhaps another couple of minutes longer would make it even better.

7. Ringscape
Ok, another Tr3s Lunas (game?) track. Heard it all before. "Meh"

8. Nightshade
Hmmm, what can I say? It was ok I suppose. Nothing too special, but I'm sure I could get used to it, if I tried hard enough.How one reveiwer could say it is "much akin to Wish you were here era Pink Floyd"  is beyond me!  see here The one and only similarity between "Wish you were here" and this track is the fact that an acoustic guitar was used!  And if you thought of it in that way then the whole album is akin to Barry Manilow because it used drums! ;)

Cd 1 & 2 bonus tracks

Lakme - Fruity Loops - UK Bonus Track
Pres De Toi - UK Bonus Track

Not heard them yet.

Ok, overall I would say I was looking forward with excitment to Mike Oldfields new album (as I always do), but I felt almost let down by it. An anti-climax you could say. Whilst I agree there are some elements that could shine through over others, given a bit more chance, the album as a whole did not move me like I have been moved before by some of Mikes work.

I think this will possibly be one of those albums that would sit in my collection waiting to be played, but only when I haven't heard it for along time.

I have been as honest as I can in my review of this album, and I know some of the more "ardent" fans may like to call me a traitor to Mike and say I'm being disloyal, or whatever, but you need to remember, that music needs to move you, inside your heart and your mind. And while the bits that had potential to do that, failed, it just never reached that point overall where I could say to myself, "That was brilliant, I'll listen to that again".

I can listen to TB or Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge, and even TBII or III over and over and not get bored, but I feel if were to listen to this over and over, I would find myself switching it off fairly quick.

Sorry everyone. And Sorry to Mike. I think he needs to change direction again, and get back to doing what he does best, using musical instruments, and not computers.

Oh yes, one more thing. I'll take it back...it's not "crap" as I orginally said. It's "dissapointing"...to me. :/
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 17:59

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 27 2005, 03:59)
For me the standout tracks so far are:

Blackbird
The Gate
Tears Of An Angel :) .

Oop's  I said The Gate ,
I did mean to say First Steps,
;) Wel it was early in the morning when I posted this, ;)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 05:35

Listened to it a few times now - its not crap, its just bland and NOTHING seperates it from the reams and reams of new age music you can buy in bargain bins at your local garage for 99p

Heres hoping for some real instruments next time
Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net