Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 19:00

Now Cmon everybody here please read this!

Have you ever tryed to make somebody like some music they do not like? i can tell you that it will be very difficult and almost impossible.

If you think that people should not say that the new album is crappy, then you should also think that it is wrong to say that it is great because these are all opinions, OPINIONS i say.

I would love to see you all agreeing with all my opinions and all the people of the planet Earth holding hands and singing in one voice like in a Michael Jackson video but it is not realistic!
It is like argueing about religion: it is not easy to convert people and isnt even cool.

This might sound like im mad at you all but Im not. It is just that there has been so much debate over opinions on this forum that I would just like to see you all sharing your thoughts and agreeing that we sometimes disagree.
Actually there are people out there who really think that some excrements smell very good and they use them for some activities that I dont care to know about and I could (if i ever met one of those people) say to them that "hey cmon dont play with that stuff it is too weird" but it would make no differense. I mean that even if someone likes REAL shit you cant tell them they are wrong.

As long as it is not immoral it should be ok.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 22:56

Oh dear!

I am definitely starting to feel like being a fan of Mike Oldfield these days is like going to the dog pound to get a cute healthy puppy and ending up coming home with the old sick one because you feel sorry for it and know that no-one else would want it. I seriously would have done this if my partner had not stopped me. Just Saturday night I had a fellow MO fan over I met 6 years ago and recently reaquainted with, over for a 'music' night. I knew we wouldn't be able to play Mike all night as my partner and girlfriend would also be there and are not fans. Within an hour, I had had to listen to them saying 'boring, isn't doing it for me, Mike is not with the program etc' and this was from playing TBII!, and I learnt a long time ago not to try and convert people to liking Mikes music so I took it with the ignorance it deserved, but when my musician friend started agreeing with them it really hurt, like they were criticising my own children. I really felt like they were criticising me. And certainly who would want to buy any album if they knew everyone else was going to say it was crap and laugh at you for buying it. There is no doubt that some fans dig their heels in, I may speak freely on this site but I certainly do it around my friends and family. I feel I have to protect Mike from his own 'misdirection'! I know I will enjoy this album because I listen to music in a non technical way, I don't really think that much about how much effort went into it etc. I'm just happy to have whatever Mike offers me and as it is such a big world out there I know he could never pander to my own personal tastes, not even if I was his partner would I expect him to do that.

I FEAR that this will be MIKES LAST ALBUM. I think he has lost something and even if he thinks what he is doing now is innovative and exciting, the reviews and criticisms are going to have a huge impact on what he does next, if anything at all. He says he doesn't care, but how could he not? He might care more about what the reviewers or the album buying teens think than what the 'true' fans think, and because of it he might end up losing more than he bargained for.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 04:38

Quote (zinc @ Sep. 25 2005, 17:24)
I am going to wait for the album to come out tomorrow before making judgement but from the samples I think it will be superb. To me nothing Mike Oldfield ever records can ever be described as crap...I am sure that there will be a few superb tracks and a few less so but Mike remains one of the most creative, talented and original musicians around. Even if on first listening light and shade does not do it for me I will pass judgement until I have heard it several times.
Fans who expect Mike to produce another Tubular Bells or Ommadawn should get real..he has moved on and so should they if they are so called true fans. This new album has been criticized the moment it was announced and I'm fed up with it.I for one can t wait to hear a brand new Mike Oldfield album and I will be enjoying it thoroughly.

Wonder how many of you there are who haven't heard any tracks from the new album yet?
Hand on heart,I had made the desicion to wait for the offical release,then listen to the entire two cd's after which,will put forward my honest opinion.
As Zinc says,perhaps a first hearing won't do justice to it,so listen again and give it a chance.When I first read the comments of Anxious,was tempted to post reply "take out ear plugs & listen again"!

But in all sense of fairness he is entitled to his own honest opinion,they are his own thoughts and feelings and like it or not,must be respected.To state that the album is crap however,cannot ever apply to anything M.O has/ever would produce IMO.

As far as I'm concerned,just happy to go with the flow as far as M.O's past/current or future styles of music go.Sometimes even an artist themselves won't guide this along and inspiration will come from who knows where? :)

Now can hardly wait for that postman of mine to deliver.Why oh why DIDN'T I just go to HMV - Damn it!!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 04:51

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 25 2005, 22:29)
The so called 'true fans' issue raises its ugly head again. Get ready to be burnt at the stake for heresy if you don't like this album folks, the witch hunt begins tomorrow ;)

Come on folks let's keep this peaceful.  There's enough fighting in the world, without  us fighting amongst ourselves.  

I do like the diversity in Mike's music, if I were to list my top ten Mike albums the list would include Ommadawn, Tubular Bells , Hergest Ridge and Incantations but I also  would include TSODE TB2 andTB3, as perrenial favourites.  Also FMO, QE2 , Guitars and Voyager  do tend to fluctuate, thier positions,according to my preferences at the time :).

My preference is for rock music , especially that of the '60's and '70's but  I do listen to  music as diverse as say Howlin' Wolf, folk , Bob Marley through to the heaviness of Metallica and Iron Maiden.  I enjoy Wagner, Vaughn Williams or Elgar if the mood takes me   :) .    

On this one there's no right or wrong answer, after all they're just opinions.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 07:06

Oldfield just keeps getting better. While his old stuff isn't to my taste at all, TSODE, TBIII, Tres Lunas and this are all tasty pieces of music. I like.  :)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 07:06

'Been listening to the new album all morning. Not a masterpiece, but very very good IMO. I do like some tracks more than others - a bit lukewarm on Blackbird and Rocky at the moment, although I think they might grow on me. Favourite tracks so far:

Our Father
Sunset
Resolution
Surfing
Tears Of An Angel

I think I probably like the Shade disc slightly more than the Light. (Use the dark side of the force Mike!  :D )

Er, please don't pelt me with rotten fruit, but I quite like Romance. Yes, it is cliched 90s Ibiza-style trance hokum, but I find it very buoyant and catchy. Okay I guess you can all lynch me now  ;)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 07:11

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Sep. 26 2005, 07:06)
Er, please don't pelt me with rotten fruit, but I quite like Romance. Yes, it is cliched 90s Ibiza-style trance hokum, but I find it very buoyant and catchy. Okay I guess you can all lynch me now  ;)

hah!! then we are two  :D
at last! im not alone he he

But  :/  No light and shade in my mailbox today either..................................................................... :(  Icant wait!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 07:48

To be on a positive note, I must pick out 'Sunset'. :) There's some kind of effortless and innocent beauty in that track, nevermind the artificial percussion etc. which I can quite forgive in this case. Really. That's a good one, made me feel better today. Time to start some more official poll on favourite tracks in a new topic, anyone?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 08:22

Blackbird is lovely!! Makes me wanna go down through a landscape and just look up in the trees and see the sun shine behind them  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 10:32

Music is a reflex of your soul.

The depressed,drunked and stoned Mike who created TB, O, HR, Incantations is gone.The angry Mike who did Amarok also.

What we've got is a happier than ever Mike who created Light + Shade.And feeling confortable on his own skin.And he's struggled a lot to reach this.

Congrats Mike 'cause you've done it!
It's priceless this feeling of being on that state of mind :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 11:06

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 26 2005, 10:32)
The angry Mike who did Amarok also.
What we've got is a happier than ever Mike who created Light + Shade.

Do you agree that he looks the happiest on the "Amarok" cover? On the L & S cover, he look he is the victim of a soul-blasting tragedy.

(I always thought that "Amarok" sounded like Mike was very happy when he did it... in contrast with TB2).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 11:28

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:06)
On the L & S cover, he look he is the victim of a soul-blasting tragedy.

Indeed he does, Hiawatha - and mean with it, too! It seems completely at odds with the nature of the music, don't you think?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 12:04

You think Mike has sold out? Have you ever heard Earth Moving?

BTW the motorbike pictures are cool! Classic Oldfield. Remember Mike with the boxing ball from Discovery? The Celtic Macho from Voyager? Believe me, he hasn't lost his sense of humour yet!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 12:16

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 26 2005, 11:28)
It seems completely at odds with the nature of the music, don't you think?

Don't know: I still do not have the CD's.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 12:40

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Sep. 26 2005, 12:06)

Trekkie, I agree with you on this.... I've only just listened to the album all the way through for the first time and I never commit to wrtiting about MO until a minimum of 2 listens but first impressions of Romance are that it is kinda catchy and I have a feeling I'll listen to it.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 14:44

Quote (Marky @ Sep. 26 2005, 17:40)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Sep. 26 2005, 12:06)

Trekkie, I agree with you on this.... I've only just listened to the album all the way through for the first time and I never commit to wrtiting about MO until a minimum of 2 listens but first impressions of Romance are that it is kinda catchy and I have a feeling I'll listen to it.

Aha! It may be deeply unfashionable to admit it (well for certain folks anyway), but sometimes cheese is just good! And Romance is just a little cheesy, isn't it?

What's with all the stuff about Mike being pictured with motorbikes? I've seen the promo pictures on his website, but there aren't any such pictures included in the CD booklet - at least not in my copy anyway. Just three shots of him looking rather mean and moody...  :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 15:02

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 26 2005, 03:56)
He says he doesn't care, but how could he not? He might care more about what the reviewers or the album buying teens think than what the 'true' fans think, and because of it he might end up losing more than he bargained for.

'Each track was like a birth'

I feel that's all I need to say, but I will add that if he didn't care about music then he would not have signed the contract with Mercury records.

I am an optimist, but also a realist. This album will be different from most MO we've had in the past, it's not Amarok or TB, it's new. Mike must still care about music to have made this album, he knows he isn't commercial anymore. If chillout is what he chose to play, then so it shall be.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
axious Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:37

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 26 2005, 04:38)
[/quote]
[quote=zinc,Sep. 25 2005, 17:24]To me nothing Mike Oldfield ever records can ever be described as crap...

But that's like saying "if he made an album with 45 mins of white noise I would say it is good"

Sometimes, fans can be "scared" to admit to themselves that perhaps thier idol is not what they once were, because they perhaps have a sense of being disloyal to thier idol and as such have a blinckered attitude about him.

Mike remains one of the most creative, talented and original musicians around.

Perhaps, but everyone starts to fade sometime.

Fans who expect Mike to produce another Tubular Bells or Ommadawn should get real..he has moved on and so should they if they are so called true fans.

What has being a "true fan" got to do with it? If he is producing rubbish then why should the "true fan" put up with it just because they are a "true fan"?

---------

When I first read the comments of Anxious,was tempted to post reply "take out ear plugs & listen again"!

I listened to it through headphones ;) It's axious btw. No "n" ;)

But in all sense of fairness he is entitled to his own honest opinion,they are his own thoughts and feelings and like it or not,must be respected.

Exactly

To state that the album is crap however,cannot ever apply to anything M.O has/ever would produce IMO.

A rather blinckered statement I feel. Just because you like an artist doesn't mean you have to like everything they do. And just because you like an artist doesn't mean they will produce works of art all thier careers. All artists put out crap at some stage of thier careers.

I'm absolutly mad about Pink Floyd but even I would admit that "some" of thie stuff is crap :D

It's a matter of being honest with yourself, and not a case of just saying things are good out of a sense of loyalty.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:40

Aptly named, arn't you, anxious?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:54

Quote (axious @ Sep. 26 2005, 21:37)
A rather blinkered statement I feel. Just because you like an artist doesn't mean you have to like everything they do. ...

It's a matter of being honest with yourself, and not a case of just saying things are good out of a sense of loyalty.

I don't think you understand what's happening here.

Even the most ardent fans here will have some tracks by Mike that they don't much like - but just because they don't like them, that doesn't necessarily mean they're crap. We all have our limitations, and our personal likes and dislikes would be very unreliable indicators of the true merits of most music.

The issue here is not one of mindless loyalty, but of respect for a man who has made (and still makes) some of the finest music I (and many others) have ever heard. I'll readily admit that I dislike parts of Amarok; that I intensely dislike Music from the Balcony; and the Blue Peter tune makes my teeth fall out in protest - to name but three. But to say they're crap is to assume that my taste is a suitable foundation for some sort of absolute judgement, which is absurd. To say (because I dislike some of it) that Amarok is crap would be not only arrogant, but insulting to Mike, and also to the people who consider it his masterpiece.

Honesty works in many ways; and one way of being honest is to acknowledge our own limitations, as well as the perceived limitations of some music we don't happen to like.
Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net