Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
axious Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 08:26

...and i'm sitting here listening to it, and i'm thinking, "I've heard alot of this before".  And so I have. It is the music from the Tr3s Lunas (games)?!!!?

Just listened to Cd1 Light and Cd 2 "Shade" and all I can say is, it's crap. Very amatureish. Boring, and repetitive. I won't be rushing out to buy this one.

It sounds droll, dull and just like this is just to get a few shillings in his pocket.

Looks like Mikey has finally let the machinary do ALL the work for him. :/

I really do wish he would go back to his roots and stop using machines to create his sound. I much prefer the old MO when he actually used proper musical instruments rather than all this electronic garbage.

Even the voices sound synthesized :/

No effort gone into this at all. Very, very dissapointed. :(

Light - 5/10
Shade - 4.5/10

Must try harder.

:/
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 09:08

Try Chilling out a bit !!!  If u dont like the Album
plenty of others will for sure !! Musics just a Subjective
issue!!  No one forces us to like Stuff!! I get mine tommorow
hopefully and I guess I will like some of it and other bits
not so much!! thats just the way it is... Im confident the
bits i do like will out weigh the lesser TKs thats how it
is with most my Music Collection !! :D
Profile PM 
axious Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 10:04

Quote (Deadcalm @ Sep. 25 2005, 09:08)
Try Chilling out a bit !!!  If u dont like the Album
plenty of others will for sure !! Musics just a Subjective
issue!!  No one forces us to like Stuff!! I get mine tommorow
hopefully and I guess I will like some of it and other bits
not so much!! thats just the way it is... Im confident the
bits i do like will out weigh the lesser TKs thats how it
is with most my Music Collection !! :D

Hey, tis just my opinion  :laugh:

It is crap though  :O
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 10:25

I don't understand how people can say things like that when there are just some simply GORGEOUS solos like the ones on Surfing and Tears of an Angel!

And yes the vocies are from a program called Vocaloid. They're not real. I like how he used them, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 11:02

Just listened to Cd1 Light and Cd 2 "Shade" and all I can say is, it's crap. Very amatureish. Boring, and repetitive. I won't be rushing out to buy this one.

It sounds droll, dull and just like this is just to get a few shillings in his pocket.
Looks like Mikey has finally let the machinary do ALL the work for him.
I really do wish he would go back to his roots and stop using machines to create his sound. I much prefer the old MO when he actually used proper musical instruments rather than all this electronic garbage.
Even the voices sound synthesized
No effort gone into this at all. Very, very dissapointed.

I agree with You.  Ligth and Shade is indigestible.  The rhythmic one is tedious... Well, Mike Oldfield is became professionnal of marketing since Millenium Bell. Mike sacrifices its art for marketing and stupid consumption.
Coca Cola, Mac Donald, Forbes, Mitsubishi, Honda and Mike Oldfield... :/
Its pictures with the motor bikes are laughable and stupid !!

Well, I'm happy because I don't buy Ligth and Shade. Thanks Emule !  :p I have save 30 euros !
I already listen all the tracks's shit, Mike    :/ , crazy tracks, go away on my garbage --> DELETE
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 11:38

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Sep. 25 2005, 10:25)
I don't understand how people can say things like that when there are just some simply GORGEOUS solos like the ones on Surfing and Tears of an Angel!

And yes the vocies are from a program called Vocaloid. They're not real. I like how he used them, though.

:)  same like you think MI! I love the tracks and cant understand how they can hate it so much and dont even buy it.. What would they do if he had go for a tour? sitting in the chair and delete  :(  he he..

its just pretty that they dont like. Im sooo glad i love it. It was just what i was hoping for. But im never so damn particular about new music. If you sit down and wait for ommadawn heh, then you are naive.. that just how it works...

Good the hear that im not alone MI  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 12:01

Things from narrowminded fans...I don't care and neither does Mike.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
zinc Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 12:56

Well reviews are starting to appear on the web and here's one that suggests you dont know what you are talking about...

The man behind the haunting piano lick that became the soundtrack to one of the most notorious films ever has come a long, long way over the course of his epic career. It was an fed up and reclusive teenager who somehow managed to convince a young entrepreneur named Richard Branson to hire him £150 pounds worth of instruments on the strength of an 18 minute demo tape. That demo contained the initial concepts for a totally instrumental album that would go on to sell 17 million copies worldwide and subsequently make Mike Oldfield the biggest selling artist of the 1970s.

Granted, many of his other 22 releases may be regular inhabitants of the dusty sale stacks at stores across the land and yes, the last thing we heard from him was a 30th anniversary note for note re-recording of Tubular Bells, but those of you who are holding out in the hope of something refreshing from the Oldfield camp will not be disappointed in the slightest by Light And Shade. It's an album which proves to be a modern, and spectacularly structured, work of ambient moods.

Created almost completely digitally, the effects and vocoders occasionally stray into the land of electric geekiness, but for the most part even the robotically vocal laden numbers such as The Gate are palatable, if a little jarred in their construction. Blackbird proves that simple is often best, and as well as standing out as one of the few acoustic instruments on the entire album, the haunting piano licks make for perfect midnight listening - although I can't help but hear a little of Raymond Briggs' The Snowman in the dulcet tones.

First Steps is screaming out to be used as in the soundtrack to a war epic and equally matches the musicality of self inflated egoists like Hans Zimmer, once again using space and simplicity to sculpt a riveting soundscape that demands to be heard. Our Father is the first real 'beat' driven number which reeks of a Delirium or Enigma style chill out vibe. Written in honour of Pope John Paul II, the instrumentation is faultless but some amateur whispered vocals certainly detract somewhat from the overall positive impression.

Despite a severe lack of minor keys, Shade is perhaps a more driven, forceful collection of songs, with ambient dance (or whatever relentless snare hits atop dodgy synths is called) being the main order of the day. Think X-Files theme and you've got Slipstream covered, while Quicksilver could be the backing for many a Ministry Of Sound dance floor banger. Take some Celtic melodies played through a distorted guitar and stick them on top of the synths from Bruce Springsteen's Streets Of Philadelphia and you will have a carbon copy of Tears Of An Angel.

However, whatever you do, be sure not to miss the finale track Nightshade. Featuring the album's only guest, one Christopher von Deylen on guitar, the 6 minute epic is much akin to Wish you were here era Pink Floyd without vocals, which had they been present could easily have send this ballad firing up the charts.

Altogether Mr Oldfield has produced a respectable and authentic collection of songs for Light And Shade, even if his new found love of modern technology does cause him to crank up the computerised effects to 11 on a fairly regular basis. However, the arrangement and construction of his work continues to effortlessly provide a unique and enlightening mix of music, some 30 years after the release of his gargantuan debut.

- Tom Day
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 13:25

Quote (zinc @ Sep. 25 2005, 12:56)
Well reviews are starting to appear on the web and here's one that suggests you dont know what you are talking about...

That's one way to see it... You could say the comments here suggest that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 14:31

To be honest, I don't like the tone being used in some of the posts here. If someone doesn't like it, he/she doesn't like it. It's not narrow minded, and it has nothing to do with knowing what one is talking about. If the reviewer has heard the whole album, and the review is genuine opinion, then it's valid.

By all means question people's way of thinking, but I don't think anyone here is in a position to be able to say that someone who doesn't like the music is wrong. When facts are stated, that's a different matter, they can be verified (whether Mike has done it just to make money or not, for example, can actually be verified, though good luck getting an honest answer...).
It is of course nice when the opinions presented are considered, and not just knee jerk reactions.
Profile PM 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 14:37

I second to what Korgscrew has just said. I have not heard the whole album yet, but when I have, I plan to write something... lengthy.
Profile PM 
axious Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 16:17

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 25 2005, 12:01)
Things from narrowminded fans...I don't care and neither does Mike.

The one thing music is supposed to do for the listener, is "move" the listener, and this certainly did not move me.

This is not being "narrowminded", as you put it. That is my opinion, and it is my right to voice my opinion.

And you say, "Mike doesn't care". Really? Surely the thing for an artist to do is to create works that move his fans?

I think Mike would care, if he saw alot of bad reviews from people, just like he would like good reviews.

Perhaps some fans are so "into Mike" that they cannot bring themselves to actually criticise any of Mikes works, maybe?

I've been "into" Mike Oldfield since I was a teenager and heard Tubular Bells for the first time when I was about 14years old, and I've seen good and bad. I'm 41 now and have heard some vey god stuff, and some real dross from him.

The good, I buy, the bad I leave alone. This is one that I will be leaving alone.

It's not narrowmindedness, just honesty!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 16:34

hmmm... "Perhaps some fans are so "into Mike" that they cannot bring themselves to actually criticise any of Mikes works, maybe", he he.. I feel guilty because it can look like that. Im happy i didnt was there when incantations or heavens open or earth moving came out

:laugh:  I would not be so happy!

After tsode i have always hoped for something like that. I love voices or half vocals songs compared with chill music (no matter how he do it) thats not inportant for me, the quality is the best part i think. After listening many of his songs L + S im glad. But someone said that the fade out is to short and that will dissepoint me. Just like the new Vangelis album, soundtrack to aleksander. Its just so short fade out that its irritating.. argh...
So then i must mix them by myself to have it more in the way i like them..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 16:39

I'm not sure Mike is that bothered though and I think Tati is right Mike doesn't care, or at least would like the world to think so. If he did he would play to his strengths rather than feel tempted to write music that is (or isn't more like) going to appeal to some far off 'young' audience.

For me there is a thin line between being single minded and narrow minded and Mike hovers dangerously between the two. One of the few consistent things he has said in interviews over the years is that he never listens to other peoples music and certainly doesn't care about trends in music. A strange paradox of a statement from an artist who to varying degrees over the years has utterly compromised his music in order to sound 'trendy' and 'in vogue' with the times. If he truly didn't care, as he seems keen to make out sometimes, why make terrible and bland trance music in the style of Romance. Presumably tracks like that are written because Mike feels he can win over some abstract notion of a 'young' audience who will never in a million years buy it from him.

Even if Romance was the best piece of trance music ever written there wouldn't be much of an audience for it these days anyway, eight or nine years ago maybe but not today with dance music well and truly on the back burner.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 16:49

When I use narrowminded that means people who are not open to new sounds.

I prefer an artist like Mike who is trying to recreate himself in a new way than artists like Yes who just live from their past,without creating something fresh.

When Mike feels confortable again to work with "real" instruments,he'll do it 'cause he's still able to do it. But now he's techno(from technology) Mike and when he doen't want to be like that anymore,he'll come up with something different.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 16:58

If people don't like Mike's music, that's fair enough.  What I don't like is hearing people say things like "the latest album is crap".  It's a poor choice of wording and makes out that the commenter believes their opinion to be fact.  All you have to do is say you don't like it.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 17:05

But is Mike trying to recreate himself though? He may well be so utterly removed now from the musician he was in the 70's and to a lesser extent  80's that the idea of writing another complex hand played album seems like a step backward. Where as I would see at a monumental step forward and not just from a critical perspective. For an artist who is so renowned for writing hand played complex instrumental music its ironic that in some ways thats the music he's done least of. For me Mike experimenting would be Mike returning to a style of music he invented 30 odd years ago. If Mike experimenting is Mike writing 4 or 5 minute instrumental synth pop for the Cafe Del Mar generation then he's been experimenting with that format for a very, very long time now and by and large its only brought him a very luke warm response and thats from his devoted fans not to mention the millions of record buying punters out there who couldn't give a toss about him anymore and certainly aren't about to be inspired to start buying his music again because he's 'experimenting' with computer generated vocals etc, etc.

Quite a few fans talk about Mike recreating himself but to my mind Mike has only recreated himself twice, once in 1979 when he moved from his complex period into the shorter rockier song based stuff with Platinum and then again in 1994 when he started writing the now cemented short attention span pseudo new-age electro pop/chill-out that has characterised pretty much everything since TSODE.
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 17:24

I am going to wait for the album to come out tomorrow before making judgement but from the samples I think it will be superb. To me nothing Mike Oldfield ever records can ever be described as crap...I am sure that there will be a few superb tracks and a few less so but Mike remains one of the most creative, talented and original musicians around. Even if on first listening light and shade does not do it for me I will pass judgement until I have heard it several times.
Fans who expect Mike to produce another Tubular Bells or Ommadawn should get real..he has moved on and so should they if they are so called true fans. This new album has been criticized the moment it was announced and I'm fed up with it.I for one can t wait to hear a brand new Mike Oldfield album and I will be enjoying it thoroughly.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 17:29

The so called 'true fans' issue raises its ugly head again. Get ready to be burnt at the stake for heresy if you don't like this album folks, the witch hunt begins tomorrow ;)
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 17:36

Certainly!  :)

Mike has mellowed with age in his music it would seem, I don't mind if I never hear another Crises, Amarok etc, I am into chill-out music and if this album is just that then great! I will listen to any music that is done well, people find it odd that I can listen to Heavy metal followed by Hergest ridge, but why? I respect any musician that goes against the grain, is groundbreaking in their own way, Mike is great at that and I'm sure this album will be a joy to listen to  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net