Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 10:39

All this REAL INSTRUMENTS thing is wearing a bit thin, he does list the instruments in the booklet, the only thing not real is the drums :(
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 11:18

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Sep. 28 2005, 10:39)
All this REAL INSTRUMENTS thing is wearing a bit thin, he does list the instruments in the booklet, the only thing not real is the drums :(

Im not talking about a short guitar lick, sampled, and looped (which the guitars so blantently and badly are, and i didnt realise the vocals were vocaloid, software i use myself until i read it) im talking about mike picking up a REAL guitar and playing the bloody thing live.

all samples have got to be originally sampled from a real instrument(mostly) anybody whos picked up a guitar for more than 2 mins can knock out a 2 second lick and sample,and repeat - requires no skill whatsoever. I know cos i did exactly the same thing when i 1st started.

for a man of mike talents its just bloody lazy.
SODE proved without a doubt that synths go really well with overdubed guitars.

guitarwork on light and shade just downright shoddy and lazy

I guess theres far to many FANBOYS around without the ability to actually admit that Mikes music aint what it used to be, And to compare the last original(not counting tb remake) pieces of Musak to any TB,hergest ridge,TSODE(i could go on and on) really need t get there ears syringed
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 12:30

Hmm dont seems like no one like this album i feel. Of course someone do, but mike have done something new and people are screaming... Well..

What can i complain? hmmm :/
If i should really set my finger on it. I must say that "First steps" disappoint me. Its too long. It would be more great if it had a shorter time. I could wish that he compressed it more and then add "daliphant" at the end. I really dunno why he did jumped over that beautiful perfect solo.. Maybe he have other plans for it..
First steps have many good sounds but from 2:46 -> 6:15 is tiresome. Very tiresome! But after this part its loovely!!
So this track i will exerpt self.

"Closer" is a little boring or without soul. But i will wait to say more baout thats song until i have heard the bagpipe version.

Thanks to the u-myx format i have made my own "Our father", i took some of those computer vocals away. I prefer the whispering vocals then the strong (if you understand?) "Our father". This song can be very good without so many "OOOOOOUUURRR FAAATHER!!" I also took away some piano. This gave me a better song and now i love it more!
I remember my first listening to this song thanks to them who made it available on the net. At that time a loved it but i must get bored with it until now he he.. (the dark side of listening to a song from a upcomming album before you have it) But for that , i dont care! This made me know the song better and helped me to make a good u-myx mix.

The rest of LIGHT is very good, and just my taste of what i love mike is doing. Maybe there is not screeeamming guitars, but that we can expect either. This is not a rock album, but a chill catogory album. Maybe L + S miss something tres lunas had, but i find it nice and cocy.
I just love "Angelique" its a slow motion beautiful piece of what mike really can do. This piano is plain and simple (in a positiv way) On my u-myx mix i exerpt it to 3:42. I took the drums almost away and in some moments its only guitars and bass. If you turn up the bass "Angelique" it will  become in a completely different song. Take away the drums too and will be more easy to listen at.
"Blackbird" and "Rocky" is both lovely! Dream your self away like you are running down a forrest and see the sun shine behind the tree tops.
"Gate" is something for it self, a lovely song. I liek what he have done with the vocals. This must depend of what taste of music you like or not. Either you love or you hate it...
But its something peace over this. I imagine a gate, you are standing on the dark side and look over the green peace full garden. (this make me warm and want me to hear it again and again)
And the "Sunset"....
This can make me cry. In one word! Perfect! Good well done mike! One of my mike favorite songs allready! This piece have all what he can do.

Now over to SHADE

I wonder what cd i prefer.. the light one or shade one..
The problem with this album i feel, is that the shade cd is not dark. I thought it might have more dark songs...seens its a light and shade one...
But any way its a okey cd, this SHADE.
The songs to complain on might be "Slipstream".. This is one song i have problem to like really. Its just so noisy.. After having the album and u-myx mix i can see it have to many sounds. This  x-files sound i drop out
I started it with only main keys and let this x files sound fade in more carefully. Then let it have some drums.. After 2:21 i only used the voices (this uuuuuoooohhhooooooo sound) then after add some other effects. No drums or loops after this. Just a slow sound that goes on to the end. This is much better!!! At the end its only piano's. (and this slipstream voice) i dont like it.. Did at the first but its not my taste!
Now i can like slipstream.. thanks again for u-myx thing.

"Quicksilver" i do like very much...
This one has life. I love the dalphins sounds at the end. This makes a mysterius sound and make me want to swim down to the dark blue ocean and see the waterdarkness.
(With u-myx this song is the most exiting song to mix i think. This can be a short lovely peace full song or it can be a really dance version. Its really fun to make this personally mixes. Would be fun to do this with other albums)
"Resolution" is a strong song. This have power and the way its buliding up is really cool. Another version of tres lunas "Misty", if you listen closely to the guitar at 0:48 "resolution" you will hear Misty (like it starts).

One of my favorite is "Surfing" if he did more songs like this it would be a perfect album!! This song i fall in love with and i have it on my mind all the time "singing surfing surfing........."
I have been lucky to have the radio edit to, and its very good too!
"tears from the angel" the same i feel about surfing! Its lovely! Both represent huge good guitars solo's and they are both very well done! perfect starts and ends!
make me listen to them again and again and they hostage my ears and mind. Ilove them!!

"Romance" a quite Millenium bell melody. This is ok! I dont hate it really, everytime it comes i think "yes". Remain me of the girl group "Bond". They make music in this style. (like classic music into violin and techno) Some one heard them?
"Ringscape" is huge! Ringscape have a clow of clear warm guitar. This orgel i found strange at first but it models a beautiful song. I remember first discovered tres luans II version "Snow cavern flight" and had a wish for this song on a official Tres lunas II (that not never came he he) But its there now, on L + S.
And thats fine, thanks Mike!

Then the last brick in the wall. Or the last trance on the album  
 :)
This i lovely, but i dont understand?? like tati says.. Where is the more uptempo version??
This have confused me a little..
Do any one else have the other version??

No bonus on my album either...

I wonder if mike have someone else songs to add on the singles?? If there will be some?
maybe there are some new stuff there.. Just a thought!

This album is not perfect, but its lovely also.
Better then Tres lunas? i dont know.. Maybe this album should be tres luans II, that i could lived with.
Without tres luans its the best album after Tb III  :D

thats the only thing i know!
Thank you mike for this dobbel album, i really liked it!
Looking forward to see a new album. But please add a little more intrumental and human voice and it will be perfect!

Tubular man

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
pantalaimon Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 13:38

OK - a first post from me on here, and I usually just lurk on these forums. BUT... I just have to say, i have bought everything by MO since the original Tubular Bells came out in '73, concert bootlegs, videos, DVDs the lot. Travelled the world to see him play live. (Still can't track down that Orchestral Hergest Ridge though! )

But now it comes to this... I will never buy another album by him.

He's been in steady decline for about a decade now - either due to laziness or by being burned out. My own opinion is that he's still a musical genius but is just too lazy to actually bother writing any meaningful music. The bit that really gets me (and why i'll never buy another album) is that he expects us loyal fans to keep shelling out our hard-earned cash on what amounts to little more than musical doodles, things that are churned out without any sense of invention or character.

And before anyone accuses me of not being a real fan... you have NO idea how much of a fan I am, or how much money I have spent on his music. I am, however, a disillusioned, demoralised and despondent fan and am now one who has given him his last chance. Never again.

Goodbye Mike... :/
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 13:43

Quote (timeslip @ Sep. 28 2005, 16:18)
Im not talking about a short guitar lick, sampled, and looped (which the guitars so blantently and badly are, and i didnt realise the vocals were vocaloid, software i use myself until i read it) im talking about mike picking up a REAL guitar and playing the bloody thing live.

The first 'artefact' that results from looping is that the part repeats, and sounds the same every time it does. We could examine a few tracks off Light and Shade, but let's take Quicksilver. I don't know about you, but I hear long sections in that track where there's no repetition. Same goes for the solo on Tears of an Angel. Perhaps you could identify the loop points in those solos for us.

Also, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the suggestion that anyone who's been holding a guitar for just a few minutes can even begin to get it to sound like an experienced player such as Mike (even just playing one note). After 2 minutes, someone's doing well if he/she can hold a note without it buzzing, and it usually takes many years to be able to play with a decent vibrato, and without the notes sounding sour.

I could point out flaws in Light + Shade, but those aren't them. Interesting how your comments follow the usual pattern though...and interesting how other things fall into place around it. Play nicely now...
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:08

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 28 2005, 13:43)
I don't know about you, but I hear long sections in that track where there's no repetition.

I agree with Korgscrew here.  Although
there is repetition in the drum section, but I believe it is called the "backbeat"

;)

Btw. does anybody want a tab for "closer". I jus dont know have to produce the tabfont. (it would be the original hymn version because I cannot play like Mikey.)
Profile PM 
Woodlander Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:11

And before anyone accuses me of not being a real fan... you have NO idea how much of a fan I am, or how much money I have spent on his music. I am, however, a disillusioned, demoralised and despondent fan and am now one who has given him his last chance. Never again.

So, if Mikes next album is a complex masterpiece in style of TB, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Amarok, you will not buy it, Pantalaimon? ;)

I have not heard the full album yet, but from the sound clips my first judgement is that there are some tracks which I think are great and unfortunately also quite a few which do not appeal to me. I still wait for the album to arrive from PLAY.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:14

Some very bad English there in my last post- sorry and hope you all understand.
"First Steps" Rules by the way!
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:20

Stop moaning , this is a brilliant album..far better than TR, Voyager etc...one of his best. I dont think its Mike who has lost it..its most of you lot. How can you not be moved by Rocky and Sunset?
The best since TSODE!!
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 15:37

What amazes me is how anybody can have had time to really let it sink in yet... it took me some while before I really discovered my real opinion about many of Mike's best tracks. If there is one thing I've learned, its not to judge too quickly, because his music hides some of its depth. That is especially true when he does something new, because his touches are a bit submerged initially beneath the new style. I have to say the album is growing on me greatly, and I do not greatly like techno or dance music, and I tend towards orchestral and modern minimalism in my other tastes. Some folks on this site have spent more time typing than listening and if I were Mike I'd feel very low reading some of the superficial and amateurish, not to say rude, comments that have been written. Its a pity that more people can't combine a bit of reason and some manners along with their instant reaction.

I don't wish to compare Mike with Mozart musicially, but both men are quite prolific in output, and along the way they will have ups and downs, and much music that is savoured now was not well greeted in its day. The best judges may well be the ones who have kept their counsel!
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 16:59

Well put MARKY i agree with everything you,ve just written.I,ve played it now for 3 days ,and it has grown on me over the course of the 3 days.their are not many albums that i can play and like instantly ,even mike,s albums have taken time for me to really like them ,and this is no differrent. Someone said earlier they thought mike had been in decline for the past decade,sorry mate i think your hav,in a laugh.He declined from 84 to 89 and turned it around again after.Any way put light & shade back in your cd player turn it up loud chill and enjoy,you,ll love it and remember it,s only music innit. ;)
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 17:03

Just finished listening to the album.

M.O Sir-I applaud you :D
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 17:12

It is nothig but ecxstasy.
iammmm flyyying!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont be too serious.....
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 17:19

Well I'm glad some people are enjoying it.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 17:33

cheers toby .lighten [shade] up mate!! :D  :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 17:44

There are so few of them about, Toby, that you could probably sell yours at a profit!
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 18:37

After listening to the excerpts, I can say the album sounds the way I anticipated from Albums name and Mike's previous records. It is a chill-out album, with no ambitions to get you too excited, but is a pretty mature and deep one for it's kind. I like it better than Tres Lunas and many his other recent albums. Oldfield sticked to minimalistic, simple composition while puting some effort to create smooth, lush sound and showed that it realy works if done by a good musician (as JM Jarre has also shown much longer ago...).

So it is true that "Light & Shade" is more a product than a piece of art in traditional sense, but I think it's inspired and produced skillfully enough to stand out - it's not something anyone could knock out... So I think I will by it.

P.S. While I was reading through Mike's descriptions of the tracks, the one for Angelique caught my eye:

"That's the name of one pre-set on one of my synths. As usual, I start off by just building the music up, and this piece turned out to sound angelic. I can't explain how it happens, as I say I just hit the buttons. I emerge from my studio every three days with a track and I'm exhausted! It feels like giving birth."

Don't you think this is a bit parodic? And I think I know who was the target of the parody - two of his famous coleagues whose names starts with J and V....
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 18:41

And yes, while I listened to Angelique, I thought that the rythmic swoosh-like outburst you hear from time to time would sound great if it was comming from your back, on Dolby Surround... Don't you think so?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 18:48

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 28 2005, 22:03)
Just finished listening to the album.

M.O Sir-I applaud you :D

Now I've listened to L+S for the third time ,  I find it's growing upon me, especially Sunset, Quicksilver, Slipstream, Ringscape and Nightshade  :) .

Should hopefully have the house (or bungalow rather) to myself for a few days soon, so I could play Mikes music, without complaints YIPPEEE :) !!!!!  

Alan D   Posted on Sep. 28 2005, 22:44There are so few of them about, Toby, that you could probably sell yours at a profit!

Went into HMV as I'd ordered a copy from there, no sign of dispatch from Play.com, so cancelled order and phoned HMV Shop in Luton to place order. Found  one copy on shelf in HMV store, no promotion anywhere in store. How is  L+S meant to sell if nowhere has it on display  :/ ????

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 19:30

HERE WE GO!!!!  :D
feel likes that someone have light"en" up!
Get the cool sunshine and the cool bassplay!
Inspired by Gorillaz and some everal Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net