Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 19:28

yes now I've had more chance to hear L+S uninterrupted I find it's really growing on me , the only one I'm not entirely sure what to make of it is Surfing   ;) .   I  the "voice" does suit the song, the guitar solo reminds me in some ways of Brian May's  style of playing, ( I love Queen). Maybe then it's how I'd imagine  Mike and Brian to sound if they were to jam together    ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 19:51

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2005, 18:21)
Am I the only one in here who absolutely loves Romance, Quicksilver, Slipstream, Surfing, Lakme and almost all of the "Light" CD? I have a very vague suspicion that I am. :)

no your not alone..  ;)  its sad to see all these negative talking about L+S. Hope this not scare mike away. Maybe he allready do a new album with all his sadness about this... I dont know!

But i like L+S! thats all i know Ugo....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:13

Thank you, Marky and Tubularman - you're both very kind. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Blind Faith Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:37

near being 1/4 as good as Sigur Rós's "Takk...".

Thanks a lot Sir M now I have to listen to my doughter's music.  :O She is a big fan and went to their show in Montréal 2 weeks ago. She almost has everything they did. I like the prospect better then facing her younger sister's Hip-Hop collection.

I will try to get L+S from a local shop tomorrow but I have been at odds with MO's music since he started leaning toward techno. This tread is not helping  ;)

I should have come to this place more often... now I have more music to listen to then I wil have time to, less sleep should do the trick.

:cool:
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:48

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2005, 20:13)
Thank you, Marky and Tubularman - you're both very kind. ;)

As for the song "lakme", i must say that this is just what i love with mike. Dont you agree? This end and climax and the guitar is just blowing off! Like Willy Wonka says; WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:58

I'm intrigued by this debate. My copy has still not arrived - Play.com are awaiting fresh stock. I am not in the least surprised by the mixed response and I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion without being made to feel an outsider.

I will of course reserve judgement until I have heard L&S for myself in it's entirity - several times.

I can however concur with those heaping praise on 'Takk' by Sigur Rós. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful music.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 21:08

Quote (T4 @ Oct. 01 2005, 01:58)
I can however concur with those heaping praise on 'Takk' by Sigur Rós. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful music.

I must see if this is available in the UK, its getting good reviews.
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 22:13

I bought the CD today here, in Budapest.  Beeing a hardcore fan of MO since 1985 I was extremely sceptic, and worried about this album.

However, L+S was a very pleasant surprise for me. I must say this album is 100 times better than Voyager, TMB, or Tres Lunas that I felt somehow soulless, fake. There are real emotions in this album, especially on the Shade side. IMHO Quicksilver, Sliptsream and Nighshade are great tracks, and I don't feel them beeing techno music at all. They have very much energy, dinamism, variety, and counterpoint well the harmony of songs like TOAA. Somehow they remember me the feeling of Airborne and Platinum from the album Platinum.  

On the other hand  I think that some tracks on the Light side are quite superficial. Much more could have been done with them! I hope one day Mike will get again a great producer, somebody, like Tom Newman, who will encourage him to develop further his otherwise brilliant ideas!  

Anyway, thanks Mike for this new CD! And hope to see you again in the next couple of years with a long instrumental album, that will be more „shady” than „light”!
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 23:42

I think the idea is that if Jarre was making the album, he would have done it better, because of his higher skills with synthesizers.

au contraire. i ment to say that light+shade it could be an acceptable J.M. Jarre work, but being an Odlfiedl work it's not acceptable.
It seems to me that some people (SOME people) in this forum will love everything that came from mike oldfield. i don't agree. i know that the word "fan" came from "fanatic", but i think mike oldfiled isn't robbie williams or britney spears. mike oldfield is loved by his wonderful music. except some things, light+shade is not composed of wonderful music. someone of you say "i hope mike is not scared of these bad comments". i hope he reads these comments. An artist can't live an a golden castle where everyone say "your light+shade is wonderful, sir".

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 00:36

Quote (DarkenedEdo @ Oct. 01 2005, 12:42)
i ment to say that light+shade it could be an acceptable J.M. Jarre work, but being an Odlfiedl work it's not acceptable.

I don't believe in saying that sort of thing. A good/bad album is a good/bad album, no matter who did it. I don't feel it's right having different standards for different artists.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tas Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 04:16

Quote (T4 @ Sep. 30 2005, 20:58)
I'm intrigued by this debate. My copy has still not arrived - Play.com are awaiting fresh stock.

You know this must be a good sign cos both Amazon and Play have delivered late. So judging by this then the album seems to be selling much better than expected if my theory is right.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 04:48

I had mine delivered earlier "Today"  OK no Contest
The SHADE CD is the one that hits u !! And also get
the BONUS TK version cause LAKE ME tk is just a
great finish off Tk love it already!!  I was a bit 50 -50
on LIGHT but  Ill be Playing Shade lots for sure ...Ok
im relieved now after a few negative Comments about
the CD... Ok Im back to Listening :D
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 05:08

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2005, 18:21)
Am I the only one in here who absolutely loves Romance, Quicksilver, Slipstream, Surfing, Lakme and almost all of the "Light" CD? I have a very vague suspicion that I am. :)

No Ugo,you most certainly are not! I very much like all of the tracks you've mentioned,and yes-even Romance too,and would have been prepared to stand alone on that if need be.Alright,this album's perhaps not "flawless" and could agree with some of the comments I've read so far regarding various parts of both cd's.But all the same,overall - like the whole album.

I don't know/understand about a lot of computerised ways of making music,only traditional instruments but this is really beginning to annoy me just lately because I do want to know/learn.Even asked my eldest son what is required in order to make music at home(as it were)in this way,but still waiting for an answer :/ so would be very grateful if any musicians here who do this can help? :)
Also what would some of you consider to be a really fantastic peice of music to hear(from musicians point of view)because after reading comment on M.O becoming lazy,easy to acheive some of these sound effects,ect would like to hear something that would help me to "compare" isn't quite the right word but,think you will know my meaning.Thanks in advance if anyone will help :D -and here,brave enough to say it again I like the Romance track,very much!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 05:45

Quote (Tas @ Oct. 01 2005, 17:16)
So judging by this then the album seems to be selling much better than expected if my theory is right.

Well, it is Mike's best selling album in both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. It's nice to see that people are interested.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 06:27

Timeslip, I take back all of my comments earlier. The reason being that I'm currently listening to Tres Lunas now and rather enjoying it.

Also, Mike quite clearly isn't just playing a short section and repeating it, the bass lines are varying. The only parts where this seems to be true are for the actual rhythm (drums, cymbals etc...) and even these vary when appropriate.

Mike's lead playing is beautiful and lyrical in a way rarely heard in the Virgin days.

I think there's just a gap between object and expectation, and that we should just give the music time to work its charms.

--------------
(-: Ian :-)

Currently reading:
What Remains to be Discovered by John Maddox
Also doing far too much decorating than is good for one :)
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 13:47

Hello, one and all.

Righty, here we go.

First up, I'd like to reiterate some of my previous comments - often when I've listened to an album only once or twice, my views will often change. I therefore put in a disclaimer on my views, subject to subsequent change.

Light + Shade.

I completely agree with Alan D that it is rare that you find a CD from an artist that you like where you will like more than 50% of the CD. I guess I have been spoiled by previous CD's of MO's.

Light first - Angelique is beautiful. Sets up the scene nicely. Good going. Blackbird - I'll have difficulty with this as I do all of MO's recent Piano only pieces (e.g. Landfall). I have yet to get with The Gate, I don't yet see the beauty but it may come to me in time. Closer is okay - nothing wonderful on that as yet. First steps, is of course, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. To be honest, this track alone probably justifies the purchase. It's just a shame that that nearly turns out to be the case for me.

Rocky - much the same as Blackbird. Our Father - hmm. Not quite sure what to make of this yet.

Shade.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

(I reiterate at this point that this is after two cursory listens and is my personal opinion)

I cannot stand techno music for techno musics' sake. To me it conjures up images of the associated lifestyle, which I find personally grotesque. Return to the Origin, with it's hard hitting baseline, which from saying that people may expect me to hate, also has a thing of absolute beauty within it: the composition. And that's what attracts me to Oldfields work, because what I like about it generally, is his music tells me a story - but ambiguous enough to let me make up the storyline. I sort of go into a type of meditation - appreciation I call it - where I let the music describe to me an image from the instruments and nuances playing to me. But Shade...

Oh dear god, I just can't do it. Quicksilver... I couldn't even listen to the end of the track. Sorry guys.

It's one (partial) saving grace: Ringscape. Yes, I thought. YES, this is great. But then... the mixing just let it down. The track finishes so abruptly, and there are several mixing 'errors' within the track itself. I hand it to him now, and bow down in his presence, Brandon Blume, in my humble opinion, with the material that you had, you made a better mix. It just doesn't feel... quite as good as it could have been, like a rough diamond.

I hope for my sake that my opinion of L + S rapidly changes. Even in what I consider to be his worst album that I own (Islands) there are the Wind Chimes, which are brilliant, and Flying Start, which I quite like. But this... whew.

I said in a previous post that if MO was never to make another CD some people might hate him for it. Well I would at this point like to thank Mr. Oldfield very warmly for the fantastic contribution that he has made to my life so far... given me TB I, II, III, TSODE, Crises, Tr3s Lunas, Qe2, and the list goes on. No other artist has before so solely captivated my interest. But this, This Light and Shade, may just be what wakes me from my 2 and 1/2 year reverie of Mr Oldfield.

We shall see.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 14:10

Is it the presence of the dance beat that makes you dislike the tracks? Just listen to Quicksilver, how masterfully the guitar plays along with the groovy beat. Drop the prejudice that "techno" (it's not techno, it's trance) is always bad, and listen to the music instead. Float along instead of judging.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 15:36

Quote (Cinos @ Oct. 01 2005, 19:10)
Drop the prejudice that "techno" (it's not techno, it's trance) is always bad, and listen to the music instead. Float along instead of judging.

I don't think it's prejudice that's the problem. I'm very well aware that to enter and engage with the art with any depth you must not judge, but be open. I've made it almost into a personal basic principle. But I'm experiencing the same difficulty as arron over these trance/dance tracks. In my case it arises from an almost painful physiological intolerance for that pounding mechanical repetitive beat. I mean - maybe I'm just too old now, because after two minutes I'm unable to listen to any musical content because I just want that mindless thumping to stop. And after two listenings it seems as if 'Shade' is full of the stuff.

It may be very good music of its kind. But what worries me is that I think I may not have the will power to listen to it many more times, and that's not easy to accept.
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 15:52

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 01 2005, 15:36)
I don't think it's prejudice that's the problem. I'm very well aware that to enter and engage with the art with any depth you must not judge, but be open. I've made it almost into a personal basic principle. But I'm experiencing the same difficulty as arron over these trance/dance tracks. In my case it arises from an almost painful physiological intolerance for that pounding mechanical repetitive beat. I mean - maybe I'm just too old now, because after two minutes I'm unable to listen to any musical content because I just want that mindless thumping to stop. And after two listenings it seems as if 'Shade' is full of the stuff.

It may be very good music of its kind. But what worries me is that I think I may not have the will power to listen to it many more times, and that's not easy to accept.

Yeah. Then again I'm not really the right person to speak considering my allergy of most sorts of guitars. But hey... I DID get into Outcast on TB3 after the initial headaches - and if I can do that, I'm sure you can learn to like the stuff on this album too.  :)
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 15:55

Quote (axious @ Sep. 25 2005, 13:26)
Light - 5/10
Shade - 4.5/10

Light 9/10
Shade 8.5/10

My honest opinion.  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net