Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Wembley 99, Who was there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tansy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 06:55

Knowing nothing about MO beyond the music I'd heard and loved,a wonderful surprise came for me out of the blue when my son took me to see him play live at Wembley Arena.It had all been a bit if a scramble and we had no tickets so upon arrival and running late ,rushed to the box office & just got tickets.We were seated pretty far back and I couldn't see MO
very well but it didn't matter,the being there & hearing him play live meant so much to me
Before we got into our seats my son commented "well that's it,suppose I'll have to put up with a couple of hours listening to an ageing hippie" Well as the concert got along & point came when MO sat on stage alone with guitar and began to play,my son sat open mouthed & had to take back his words as he was so impressed.I've pulled his leg over that one many times :laugh:
Anyhow it was an evening I'll never forget & full of emotion(when part of Ommadawn was played it had quite an effect on me). :O
Recently I was wondering how many other board members had been there & what they thought of this particular concert.
Were any of you right at the front ect.Any amusing stories of the evening perhaps?
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 08:23

I wish I could say that I had been there.  Sadly, I doubt that I will ever get to see him perform live.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 09:18

If he came to New York to do a concert again, would go there to see him?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 10:40

hi, i was there!!! i was sat at the top to the left of the stage, so i had a pretty good view! it was the second time i saw him play (the first was at horse guards in '98), but he still impressed me going through his back catalogue, playing stuff that i thought i'd never hear him play tho i can't remember  exactly wot he played (but i do recall him playing a part of TSODE i think)
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 14:31

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Sep. 01 2005, 08:23)
I wish I could say that I had been there.  Sadly, I doubt that I will ever get to see him perform live.

Please don't think that , I hope MO will appear in concert at a venue that will be possible for you to reach. :)

Hello Mr Brownstone,I remember exactly where you were seated & you must have had a great view.I still have the tickets
Block C2 Row 2 Seats 18/19 and also have a programme.Just caused a right hullaballo in my household searching for them and leaving no furniture unturned in the process.

Cant remember everything that he played off hand but,the info is on Tubular.net somewhere(sorry don't know how to post links).
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 21:36

I wasn't there but the tracklisting was:

1. In the Beginning
2. Let There Be Light
3. Supernova
4. Crystal Clear
5. Shadow on the Wall
6. Ommadawn Part One (Excerpt)
7. Cochise
8. Embers
9. Summit Day
10. Muse
11. The Source of Secrets
12. The Watchful Eye
13. Jewel in the Crown
14. Outcast
15. Serpent Dream
16. The Inner Child
17. Secrets
18. Far Above The Clouds
19. Moonlight Shadow
20. Family Man
21. Adlib Secrets
22. Far Above The Clouds (Reprise)

There are even bootleg recordings about this event (audio & also video).

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 21:46

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 01 2005, 09:18)
If he came to New York to do a concert again, would go there to see him?

It would be difficult as I am in Florida but you never know.  I would certainly make every attempt.  Seeing him live is one of the things on my Top 10 things to do before I die list.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 14:08

I made it across the pond from Missouri. Had dinner at the Green Man with folks from the Amarok Mailing List. One of the guys (who shall remain anon. unless he wants to say anything, haha! ) and I walked down the hill together to get in the queue for souvenirs. After that, I realized I wasn't sure what had happened to my ticket. We dumped out my pocketbook (it sports its very own vortex) and it wasn't there. Not knowing what else to do, I returned to the gate to find that someone had turned it in!!!! I have always managed to keep my guardian angels and faeries rather busy. Whoever turned in my ticket has experienced good things, threefold and it supports my hypothesis that MO's fanbase is absolutely terrific. Wonderful concert, too, btw. I was in either the 7th row or 4th (think 7th)--pretty close, on the lefthand side looking toward the stage area. I was seated next to a woman from Scotland with a tubular bell tattoo and still intend to get one of those one of these days.

I thought my heart was going to vibrate out of my body during "Supernova." One of my favorite parts was when Mike announced that he was going to play some tubular bubbles and squeaks. :D

Although I'm happy to run, dance, drive, and otherwise listen to his music at home, there is definitely something transformational about a good, live concert experience, and that was certainly one.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 20:22

Quote (Inkanta @ Sep. 06 2005, 19:08)
Whoever turned in my ticket has experienced good things, threefold and it supports my hypothesis that MO's fanbase is absolutely terrific. Wonderful concert, too, btw. .......I was seated next to a woman from Scotland with a tubular bell tattoo and still intend to get one of those one of these days.

Although I'm happy to run, dance, drive, and otherwise listen to his music at home, there is definitely something transformational about a good, live concert experience, and that was certainly one.

I'm so pleased Inkanta, that someone handed in your ticket.  I was at a concert once (not Mike ) and had about £50 taken from my purse. The cheeky b****r, then handed in my purse to the venue minus £50:( , maybe I should have called the police but  I didn't want to miss the gig  after paying out for tickets.  Still he or she has experienced negative things threefold.  I do believe what you give out you receive back three times over.  

I agree there's something about  live music, it just isn't possible to capture the same atmosphere playing music at home. I've been to many live concerts, but unfortunately not Mike :O .  (Mike if you're reading this, any plans for a UK Tour , please).

I did have a thought a few months back about getting  a Tubular Bells tattoo too, The cover of TB'73, a very iconic image to a 70's kid, I'm saving up my pennies, well 20p's to be more precise        :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Hugh_Janus Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 20:11

I was there, right hand side.  Great evening, wish a recording had been released as I can't remember what it was like now (One thing that stood out in particular and I can't remember what it was! :( )

I might get lynched if I say I have also seen him live at:

The Albert Hall 1993 - Tubular Bells II - 4th row from the stage :)
Horseguards Parade 1998 - Tubular Bells III Premiere (got a bit wet!;) - 2nd row back I think

Tubular Bells 3 was a good one.  Saw him rehearsing in the afternoon, loads of people stood around the security fence watching him and gave a big cheer when he finished, he returned the thanks, unfortunately I had to leave :( because I had to get back to the hotel to get back to the concert later...

--------------
Better to be pissed off than pissed on!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 20:38

Great stuff Mr Janus :) .

Wish I'd have been there too.

Pity Mike has no plans to tour ATM    :/.     I'm dreaming about a concert on the peak of Hergest Ridge, wishful thinking perhaps    :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
lettherebeme Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 17:00

I was there, I seem to remember I was quite near the front, I went on my own and had some good chats with fans there. It was my only Mike Oldfield concert but it was a magical very personal experience seeing your idol for the past 10 years + in the flesh,especially as he gives so few concerts and public appearances.
Does anyone remember shouting out during the requests, if so what did you ask for?

--------------
lettherebe more Mike Oldfield in our lives
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 15:01

I was there , seems like a lifetime ago now, i was pretty near the front on the right hand side, i really enjoyed it and cant wait to see him live again, after i saw him at horse gaurds parade i thought it would be years before he toured again, then the very next year he did, so i thought it might be a regular thing, but.................. :/

oh well never mind theres always hope!  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 20:50

I was there second row I think, or first (how dare I forget?). I became a fan in 1984 and so just missed his string of early 1980s tours, and had to wait 8 years before he played live, but then saw him in Edinburgh 1992. Actually, friends and I strolled past Edinburgh Castle that afternoon to take in the venue, and a car blew its horn at us... we were in the way of the entry. We turned around and it was Mike with his then girlfriend (who I think was Rosa). He played the soundcheck and so we heard it twice! I went to 3 of his four 1993 Albert Hall Concerts (well, who needs money?) and the 1998 Horse Guards Parade concert/flood, which was absolutely magical, and in 1999 both the NEC (Birmingham, where I have friends and family) and Wembley.  21 years of being a fan and so few opportunities to see hiom play live... and yet I guess I am luckier than most. Oddly enough, when I went to Horse Guards, we dropped by that afternoon and also heard the soundcheck! A gang of young Asian guys came up impressed with the music, and asked us who it was. Exposure really is the key to getting an audience. Mike should play India and Pakistan, not that there is any money in it!!
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 21:49

I was there, only time I have ever seen Mike and I re-watch it on DVD at least once a year :)
Profile PM 
14 replies since Sep. 01 2005, 06:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net