Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: weird but good< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
theweightless Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 26 2001, 16:43

this is something else...something clear...something good. some say this is continue to ommadawn...i don't see (hear) it could someone clear that for me?

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2001, 19:51

I would...but Korgscrew's doing that right now wink. But think African drums (plus more).

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 26 2001, 21:16

The idea with Amarok was to have a sort of 'practise' for Tubular Bells II - Mike wanted to try doing a sequel to another album first. The album he decided to try that with was, as you have heard, Ommadawn.

Musically, Mike didn't really make much reference to Ommadawn (there are a few bits, though, like a very similar guitar solo to the fast one that's played somewhere around the middle of Ommadawn Part 1). He did use some of the same musicians that appeared on Ommadawn - namely Julian Bahula, Paddy Moloney and Clodagh Simmonds.
Mike has said that the idea of Amarok started off as being an Ommadawn II, but it turned into something a bit different along the way.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 06:21

No, it isn't all that similar to Ommadawn, in the same way that TBIII isn't that similar to the original. It still has the amazing endings and fast guitar solos.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2014, 05:40

Apart from Mike saying that the starting idea for Amarok was to make Ommadawn 2, I've never really seen it that way, ok there are some of the same players on both, but that is not unusual for Mike's albums. But to call it Ommadawn 2 does nothing for either album. Amarok is unique.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Aug. 26 2001, 16:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net