Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Wailing Vololid Voice on Resolution, Do you like it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 09:26

To me it sounds like sooty's girlfriend on heat in certain parts!! I love Resolution as a whole and would like the wailing better if it were a real voice. It just doesn't work for me-  the rest of the vocoloid stuff on the CDs I find OK, even very good in some tracks (esp. TOAA). Anyone agree with me or anyone love the wailing?  ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 12:36

Yuuurrrgh.

Actually, the song as a whole isn't necessarily bad. It isn't any good, though, since there isn't a single melody in it. The voice is the stab on the back - kind of a cross between an Animé character being tortured and a bad, electronic immitation of Claire Torry.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 17:13

I love this track, except for the wailing voice.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 18:07

Clare Torry from The Great Gig in the Sky?  :)

I'm curious about this electronic imitation  :p
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 05:07

I agree with Moz

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 05:48

I'm loving it! Finally something radical!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 05:49

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 05 2005, 18:36)
It isn't any good, though, since there isn't a single melody in it.

Heh. As if that was the sole criteria for a track being good.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 09:01

I like the voice - its like an operatic scream - and the guitar riff is cool.  Its not a standout track but it sits well on the album.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 05:42

I think the wailing really suits the track but it would have worked much better if it was a real voice, this sounds like a cat having it's tail pulled while gargling water!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 09:01

The sound/tone of the wailing voice reminds me of parts of the singing in 'Earthmoving', and at first I compared this with that and found myself wishing it were a real voice. But as I listen more, I'm coming to accept it for what it is - I find it increasingly moving as I become accustomed to it. The same is happening with 'Surfing' and 'Tears of an Angel'. There is a particular plaintive quality to the synthetic voices in these tracks that - I'm starting to see - can't be achieved in any other way.  

There's a lot to be said for Korgscrew's suggestion about trying to listen to them as a new kind of instrument, rather than as substitute voices.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 16:49

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 08 2005, 05:49)
Heh. As if that was the sole criteria for a track being good.

Well, we're talking about the Tubular Bells guy, y'know...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 03:44

I don't really understand this 'melody' problem. I agree that it would be hard to find a tune that you could whistle in 'Resolution', but I think I'd say that about a lot of Mike's stuff. The ones with the really obvious tunes (like much of Voyager) are often the most irritating.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 12:49

Oddly enough, I think that about 90% of Mike's output in the Virgin era is highly based on solid melodies. That's why I always considered him as the man of God-like melodies. It isn't necessarily a "tune", but often he presents a couple of half-melodies and incomplete themes that end up combined with each other in various ways. That's the magic of Amarok, for example. I'd say that The Songs Of Distant Earth is the first album where he tries to get away with "atmosphere", and holds my attention for about 20 seconds.

Going through Mike's catalogue, I'm convinced that a Mike composition without good melodies, in order to be good, must have really, really good guitar work (and I mean Taurus 3 level) or intense instrument interplay. "Resolution" has... nothing.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 12:56

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 09 2005, 05:42)
I think the wailing really suits the track but it would have worked much better if it was a real voice, this sounds like a cat having it's tail pulled while gargling water!

Tracey, I think you sum it up rather eloquently.  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:23

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 10 2005, 17:49)
"Resolution" has... nothing.

Well, that seems too extreme, to me. The guitar riff is quite powerful and energetic and makes it hard not to move rhythmically while listening; and the more I listen, the more interesting the wailing 'voice instrument' seems to become. Of course the track is short; if it were longer then I'd agree that it lacked development, and one would be looking for more in the way of melody. But as it is, it holds my attention to the end and leaves me a little disappointed that there isn't more when it does end.

But this is a very subjective area. One person's tune is another's dreary plod. Some people tell me they can't hear tunes in Wagner, but to me his music has melodies tumbling all over each other. And the same people tell me to listen to the melodies in Verdi, but to me Verdi is one big tuneless yawn.

I don't think I understand any difference between 'tune' and 'melody'.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:30

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 10 2005, 16:23)
I don't think I understand any difference between 'tune' and 'melody'.

Hmm, I don't think I do, either. I use both words to describe mainly the same thing... If anything, I think of "melody" as something longer and more developed, and "tune" as something shorter and more immediately striking. But, heh, that's just me being a dork.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:39

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 10 2005, 17:49)
The Songs Of Distant Earth is the first album where he tries to get away with "atmosphere", and holds my attention for about 20 seconds.

This illustrates my previous point perfectly by the way. I think TSODE is wonderfully rich in melody. In particular, Let There Be Light has for me the single most unforgettable and most profoundly moving melody in the whole of Mike's oeuvre.

(I just found myself wondering if I really mean that; and actually, yes I believe I do.)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 18:19

Talking about melodies and tunes- I think a tune is melody but a melody is more than a tune. A tune is something you can memorise easily and recall i.e hum, whistle, stays in your head all day. Same with a melody but it has more connecting elements with other features of the music. Weaving in and out - so it's slightly harder to separate - it's a tune with substance and needs to be listened to as part of the whole. This is especially true for me listening to Mike Oldfield, Air and Moby. Much to my disappointment, I find it really hard to think of this music when I am not actually listening to it. But then I think that's why it's so good. It demands your full attention.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 06:46

Quote (bee @ Oct. 10 2005, 23:19)
a melody ...  has more connecting elements with other features of the music. Weaving in and out - so it's slightly harder to separate - it's a tune with substance and needs to be listened to as part of the whole.

Merriam-Webster dictionary says this:

Tune: a succession of pleasing musical tones or a dominant theme
Melody: 1. a sweet or agreeable succession or arrangement of sounds or
2. a rhythmic succession of single tones organized as an aesthetic whole

The first meaning of 'melody' is identical to the meaning of 'tune'. But the second meaning is I think what bee is talking about.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 07:37

The melody is what makes the tune! Resolution has a melody otherwise it would not exist.  It's not my fave Light and Shade track but it has it's moments such as the vocal part 'Resolution' and the bass rif which follows it.   :)
Profile PM 
42 replies since Oct. 05 2005, 09:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net