Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vote for your favorite Tubular Bells remixes!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 23 2012, 23:57

Reminder! The voting period is on for the Tubular Bells Remix contest. For your convenience, we have listed below the entries from the Tubular.net forum members. Check them out and vote!

Oh, and speaking of remixes, remember the Tubular.net fan tribute from 2003 where 8 members recorded their mix of the finale section of Tubular Bells Part 1?

Ashot_Danielyan - Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (Ambient - Oriental Mix)
Distant Earth - Distant Bells (Tubular Bells - rework)
EeToN - Tubular Bells (Melodic Rock Remix)
lukaszswietek - Tubulat Bells Prog Remix by lukaszswietek
Olivier - Tubular Bells [Natural Mix]
pauken - Tubular Bells Cathedral Remix
Priabonia - Tubular Bells Mike Yarwood remix
stpaul - Tubular Bells Fjell s Space Disco Reinterpretation
SyncEmotions - Mike Oldfield feat. Sync Emotions -- Tubular Bells IV (in a rush demo)
willem - Tubular Bells Remix JWB 2012
ManFromTheMoon - TubularMoon
Markus K - AndNowForSomethingCompletelyDifferent
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 02:15

I could not find anything in the FAQ section about how many entries can be voted for. It did allow me to vote for my two fav. entries so I left it at that.....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 05:09

Well, this list of Tubular.net forum members in incomplete... One little soul from the moon has entered this contest too:) Only with tiny, but still very importand name modification (ManFromTheMoonheart):)

In contest's comment section I wrote:

"What a nice TubularSociety we have here!:)
I only wonder who will listen to 267 [{maybe exact number is wrong, but that is not importand}] submissions, in order to choose consciously and honestly... I'm afraid, that it will be "Who has more on-line friends" contest; you know - how many people you know instead of how they truly feel about music... Anyway, turning art into a sport competition is totally against my MoonPersanality:) I've made an exception becouse of Master Oldfield's authority... I could not resist, I Love Mike's music so deeply!:) So I added something directly from the Moonheart, I just had to... :)
Good Luck Everyone!:) Music counts - not competition; no matter what the result will be, judging art is extremly subjective, so all this competitive side it is just a "fun", so to say, whereas creativity always is endlessly immense value itself!:)

ManFromTheMoonheart:)"

So, although I entered, I'm not looking for any votes, I appreciate music, that's all:)[I][/I] If anyone takes a listen, it will be fully enough for me:) I do not wish to be part of cometition - as I wrote, I entered becouse of Mike's authority, I simply must have tried to create my version:) So, please, never vote for me, really:) Definetely, it is not a psychological "Oh, I'm so modest" trick - I'm not collecting voices - I'm withdrawing from "voting side" of the issue; music is absolutely enough - for me art is an instrument of peace, not reason for a vanity war:)[I][B]
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 05:59

I have no online freinds here Moon. I'm pretty much a stranger here as most of the names have changed in 5 years and I have mostly been inactive here for a year or more. I've just been enjoying the music in the contest is all. It's all in good fun. I'm going to try and find your entry....
    I scrolled thru all the pages of entries looking for the word moon in any name. There doesn't seem to be a search option. Could you please put up a link so we could all hear your entry? I would very much like to. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 06:25

Got it! I had to click on "alphabetical", then went to the "M'' section. Very cool! You made it sound very "acid" or "experimental" which I like. You sound a lot like Phil Manzanera(which is good!;)

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportu....4

Please add Bartek's link to the tubular.net members remixes list. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 10:20

My submission:

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportu....3

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 13:16

Added the missing two :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 05:14

This is absolutely brilliant. So many different versions. One better than another. Amazing. I'll try to listen to as much as I can, but I already voted for Lukasz, because he totally got me with those well done Montreaux bits there and more.

They could make a compilation from this contest. It could be called: "Fans of Tubular bells" :) I would deffinitely buy it!
Profile PM 
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 07:01

Scatterplot - Thank You Very Much for Your time and opinion:)))

(But still - it is about popularity - having friends, putting links and so on, and so on:) Ok, it was obvious that it will be that way... How many people will give a listen to about 270 entries? Becouse only a person who knows everything can really make conscious choice, not to mention "being an on-line friend" thing:))) But that is really not important - at least for me:))

Thanks one more, Regards:)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 10:45

It's cool Moon. I liked your song a lot. After you spoke up in this thread, I noticed your ranking climbed upwards significantly in a day or two. You too are reaping the rewards of being here, so you do have freinds! There are many other forums to promote your music as well, like all the manufacturers of equipment or software you may have purchased(I'd hit 'em all). I remember once I bought some loop based music software which, when I registered my copy online, led me to their forum which allowed users to upload their songs and also had competitions. There are so many, I guess the more you register with and put links on, the greater your odds, it's not really "knowing" anyone specifically.....Take care and keep making the music. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 11:33

Well, I did not check my ranking, but it is possible - I say "I do not collect votes", and and get a vote or two:)  I knew it could happen, but I honestly do not care for competition side:) However, it is still very interesting to get someone's opinion:) I know - of course - I could, like everyone, put my links here, or there, on "Facebook" for example, look for votes that could come form people who I do know in person, or in the internet only, or do not know at all, but I feel very uncomfortable with such an idea:) I do not wish to race, truly:) And generally speaking, I'm much more attracted to original works, than to making version's of someone else's music, but still - if Master Oldfield has created such an opportunity, I was not able to ignore it:))) My way of "seeing music" is completely "un-marketable" anyway:) Getting an opinion is reward itself, so Thank You once more - it is very nice to be aware, that somewhere in the world, someone gave me these few minutes of attension:)    

ManFromTheMoonheart:)

(Maybe You could not find me earlier, becouse You used "ManFromTheMoon" name, instead of "ManFromTehMoonheart"; I would like to make this change also in "Tubular.net", but I seems to me, that I can not, unless I will erase old account, and create new one):)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 13:04

And you will recieve more attention Moon. This competition was/is an exercise in building up one's "chops" so to speak. Skills I suppose is the word. You obviously put a lot of work into this and you will again on the next one.....and the one after. I was once into this "thing" in the 80's and 90's, the market was flooded with "converted bedrooms into MIDI studios" and I did not stand a chance in Texas, USA. The market was live bands then(and now). No one was interested in a Mike Oldfield or Camel wannabe using Kawai and Oberhiem synths slaved from a sequencer to make what is now called "prog"....back then we called it art rock. Something mostly from Europe. So I understand your frustration. "Completely unmarketable" you say? No, not at all. Keep working like you have been.......you never know. You have to keep working all the time.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 15:00

Well, I'm afraid, that times are not to conducive for my "kind of music":) Even in '70s everyone was showing Mike the door, and today is much harder... Radio accepts strictly formated music - 3,5 minutes, with proper rythm, tempo, lyrics... Everything must be just like scientific researches describe:) Instrumental music? NEVER:) Long instrumental parts in songs? NO:) Absence of drums? NO! 5 minut long song? No way! Long instrumentals? NO!:) And so on, and so on... 3minutes hits about "baby I want You baby" is what usually is being accepted - all right, world's free will, nothing wrong with that, it is simply not my cup of tea:) I'm constantly demolishing every single "radio rule", even when I'm making song with lyrics; I do not write anything, that could be cosidered as a "hit":))) But I do not mind - I'm doing what I feel is right for me, and in the internet there are no limitations; I can smiply be me:) But of course only as a amateur:) That's all right with me, I keep frusration away from my side - my way of thinking does not fit in with today's reality, I have to accept that:) Thank You for Your encouraging words:)
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2012, 09:55

Quote (Black Bunik @ Aug. 27 2012, 05:14)
This is absolutely brilliant. So many different versions. One better than another. Amazing. I'll try to listen to as much as I can, but I already voted for Lukasz, because he totally got me with those well done Montreaux bits there and more.

They could make a compilation from this contest. It could be called: "Fans of Tubular bells" :) I would deffinitely buy it!

Thanks!!!
I did my best :)
regards from Poland to all Oldfield's Fans!
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2012, 14:40

Scatterplot's and ManFromTheMoon's discussion reminds me how one national radio channel here play's Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme" once in decade, makes a big fuzz about it being all instrumental and "one of the most influencial tracks in the history of pop music".

Makes me unhappy.

At some point they had a "Top 40 UK album list" show so back in 1998 they had to play something from Tubular Bells 3. Of course they chose "Man in the rain".

Would be fun to send a wish that they would play "any track from Mike Oldfield's 'Amarok'".  :D

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 03:07

Quote (Markus K. @ Sep. 03 2012, 14:40)
Would be fun to send a wish that they would play "any track from Mike Oldfield's 'Amarok'".  :D

Oh this made my day. Thank you!  :D
Profile PM 
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 04:51

Marcus K. - Let's be happy, so happy, that people like Mike Oldfield have been born in 50's, or 40' - can You imagine what would happen if Mike was 20 today, and tried to present his TB demo to record labels???:) For 99,999999999999999999999999999% we would never ever hear this music... Even in early 70', without internet, without so many strictly formated TV and especially Radio stations, without all this "commercial BOOM", he barely managed to find a label... Label that even did not exist at the time, ha! Everyone has turned Mike down, except one Richard Branson, who decided to take a risk!:) Nowdays, maybe Mike would only have "MySace" page, however today everyone can reveal his or her music (and other stuff) in the internet, so it is so full of everything, that usually - almost always - such a presentation  does not turn an amateur into professional artist...:) Oh, let's be greateful for this wonderful generation of artists, that today are 50, or more:) There are no coincidences!:) Heaven knows!:)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 09:30

Quote (ManFromTheMoon @ Sep. 04 2012, 09:51)
can You imagine what would happen if Mike was 20 today, and tried to present his TB demo to record labels???

If he'd done it today he'd have probably released his demos as the finished version himself using BandCamp or something similar. That said, the demos would sound much more polished than the demos he recorded with a modified reel-to-reel machine. :)

But he'd have missed out on the interest that could only have happened in the late 60s / early 70s in someone doing an album by themselves by multi-tracking all the instruments. If Mike hadn't done that then someone else would (and lots of other people did).

There is good and interesting music still out there, it's just that the few big record labels and most radio stations aren't the best way to find it.

I can't imagine Leo Abrahams or Jon Hopkins being signed by a large record label, but Leo Abrahams in particular is doing the sort of thing that Mike might have done if he'd been 20-something now.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 10:20

Voting is over and so far there's some Tubular.net success with Łukasz Świętek on the second place (!!!;) and a few others also managed to climb closer to the top - Ashot Danielyan being 17th, W75 being 36th etc.

The actual winner does not need to be from this top 10.

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 16:28

Actually, I'm not extremely happy about being on 2nd position.  The voting on Indaba is such a big misunderstanding! Facebook in most of countries is a common page for teenagers, let's say up to 20 or 25 years old so If I'm 17 I've got a lot of friends there that I could message them and convince them to vote for me - it means  more facebook contacts=more votes. It is such a stupid thing, I was complaining about it all the time. Mike's music in Poland (I have no idea how it is in different countries) is such a rare music taste that If I haven't message my friends I would never be in top 10. For sure, I got some votes from Indaba members (and some of my friends surly valued my work), but this is a drop in the ocean. And the reason is that most of members on Indaba like those remixes that are similar to theirs - so If 80% of remixes are in moods of dub step, electronic and even techno they say that my track is boring and too close to original. I'm sure that a half of votes come from people that didn't like my remix because they prefer SnoopDog, LadyGaGa, Shakira etc. - that's what my age people listen to. This is SO SAD. So that means that I cheated a bit - well, that's what I feel about it. But in the other hand, I couldn't tolerate that such a big work I did is on eg. 100 position.... terrible feeling now. ;/
and I even do not know what Indaba should do with that.. Thank's God that Mike gonna choose the one which win Grand Prix.
Profile PM 
58 replies since Aug. 23 2012, 23:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net