Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vote for your favorite Tubular Bells remixes!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SyncEmotions Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 12:47

Quote (Priabonia @ Sep. 26 2012, 09:19)
Quote (SyncEmotions @ Sep. 26 2012, 11:47)
[quote=oblique,Sep. 25 2012, 14:42]

by the way my question is if someone have composed something which is their own music but similar to Mike Oldfield?...but such melodical easy one as Mike did on his  albums Incantations and  Earth Moving.

If you're looking for something a little like Incantations I suggest the works of this fine (?) young (!;)  artist:

http://soundcloud.com/priabonia

...I think you'll find Intimate Separation the closest (I've heard that several bits were, erm, influenced by Incantations).  Otherwise Deep Time (a little Hergest Ridgey at the end?)

Enjoy!

J

It depends what YOu mean with "fine" and "young". :D
:D hmm? :)

At first I noticed Your tubular Bells remix on soundcloud... Huh, And again You're that someone who totally misunderstood the remix contest terms. These stems provided in indabamusic site were allowed  for the remix in indabamusic site, and You were not allowed to put Your remix on some other site and neither its ok to allow it for "download". :D The only place where your remix can be is the indabamusic site and after that contest you arent allowed to use for Your own interest at all .  Also if that remix is on Indabamusic site which is on Your soundcloud then note -- Universal music owns interest  and ownership for _EVERY_ remix.

thats how I understood the terms. If it would be so generous from UNiversal music then I would have left online my own remix too. But once I understood the terms then I panicked and deleted from that site.

Saying it so that it wont come as surprise to You if there would be some troubles ahead.

NOw listening Your own music. Seems like experimenting with soundscapes actually and there is very little which sticks out as character. So far "return of the cat" seems most interesting.
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 12:50

anyway, nice try, and post more music. Its cool to see some developing and keep out of copyrights trouble. ok?
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 13:36

Quote (SyncEmotions @ Sep. 26 2012, 06:47)
by the way my question is if someone have composed something which is their own music but similar to MIke Oldfield? NOt a death-ambient-hip-trip-trance or old-usa-rock (entire indaba is full of it) but such melodical easy one as Mike did on his  albums Incantantions and  Earth Moving.

Try this album out

http://andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com/album/mohribold

particularly track 3 if it's some Incantations influence you're after.

Just been listening to Priabonia, really chilled stuff:)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 07:41

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Sep. 26 2012, 13:36)
by the way my question is if someone have composed something which is their own music but similar to MIke Oldfield? NOt a death-ambient-hip-trip-trance or old-usa-rock (entire indaba is full of it) but such melodical easy one as Mike did on his  albums Incantantions and  Earth Moving.

Try this album out

well, but I warn You -- after listening I comment it too if it is as You announce it. ;)
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 10:09

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Sep. 26 2012, 18:36)
Try this album out

Nice production - very "spacious", a quality I find hard to get in my own mixes (probably because I am usually guilty of the "one more instrument in this part would be good...or two..or three..."

I'm sure we are waiting eagerly for SyncEmotions valued comments... :zzz:

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 10:38

Quote (Priabonia @ Sep. 27 2012, 10:09)
Quote (hairy old hippy @ Sep. 26 2012, 18:36)
Try this album out

Nice production - very "spacious", a quality I find hard to get in my own mixes (probably because I am usually guilty of the "one more instrument in this part would be good...or two..or three..."

I'm sure we are waiting eagerly for SyncEmotions valued comments... :zzz:

well, but lets go and leave _technical_ details behind perhaps? Leave it to soundengineers and knobtwisters who dont commend and do anything else than sounds only. And almost all the music forums are full of them.
For me it does not matter how it sounds becouse the music itself has more value than its production. Neither its important how hard its compressed becouse  I have volume knob very handy.

and think about in terms of music and arrangements?
well, soon... ;)
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 13:10

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Sep. 26 2012, 13:36)

Try this album out

Before You read...
AT FIRST... What You think? What You can do better with Your album?

I guess that since You have added quite hard drive to promotion and advertisement then I have nothing to say anymore. besides just perhaps
"yes yes, its good" is a way better thing to say in this situation. But thats not me.

So, well... yes, You got that Incantantions & Ommadawn feel and backgrounds, and on some places it also seems some loose copying of these rhytms, but it seems more like experimenting with riffs and soundscapes but leave the concrete melodies fall to background. Just like that... it suits actually more this way as a filmscore, becouse music is on background and dont take attention, BUT You composed album, in this case there must be main melody which takes attention.

Nice try. But try again. I guess Your next album is better if that was not a just one retry and IF You're just a man to be lucky that You are just in his early pre-twentys and so having all the time You need for music. ;) Somewhat it reminds me that I also arranged somewhat similar music then...

You actually can be really lucky to get a review becouse in other sites You have to pay for it atleast double so much of album cost.
They have huge advertising and promo with their services but dont live up to the promised realm and only create illusions.
When just asking from a usual forum then there is not so much happening unfortunately... mostly the comments from users are "nice sound", "i like that bass", "mix up a bit", "which VST is that?", "yes yes its good". And thats all. :) Thats my statistic after being refugee from 3 other music forums.

I listened Your other 2 albums too. To whom are those demos, to whom songs. Several artists make music just like that - guitar and vocal and have even concerts.

Next please?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 13:35

Yeah.....it sucks doesn't it Sync? In the 60's most of the influencial people who pushed other's music upward or made it themselves, never took music theory or knew anything about recording or production. By the 80's those who had skills at "knobtwisting" were the ones who were upwardly mobile and sought after. They remain sought after today.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 14:04

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 27 2012, 13:35)
Yeah.....it sucks doesn't it Sync? In the 60's most of the influencial people who pushed other's music upward or made it themselves, never took music theory or knew anything about recording or production. By the 80's those who had skills at "knobtwisting" were the ones who were upwardly mobile and sought after. They remain sought after today.

What You mean with that? I dont understand.

I can also delete my opinion posted here if You dont like other than "yes yes its great" but its like ignoring.

But I will troll about "they did not knew music theory either" topic -- I have heard this 110 times! :)
That there are successful people who did not knew music theory, this is nothing to take a example or admiration unless You are the next Mozart or Björn from ABBA. Also, they were FIRST, and others cant replicate that success becouse the demands are already higher after seeing first ones!

But so far those who say that--  "no theory and practicing and rehearsal" -- I have heard only from those who are lazy. They do not want to learn even by themself, becouse its a damn hard work. So what You do? Just saying "nothing, I just push these buttons and get famous" ...? :)
They say not becouse they are "talented" or "gifted", but lazy.

What You actually forget is that those musicians before computer-studio era had very limited technology and still they made music, but it was not a resistance, they had opportunities -- all were back then very new.
Nowadays when almost everyone has this kind of technology what was a dream in 80s, it gives opportunities to everyone, yet, there are almost none such opportunities which existed before computer era (especially mp3 codecs). Many will be just a knobtwisters, sample arrangers, DJs... Can be actually totally new genre, but its not my taste. ;)

But that argument "they did not knew music theory either" is not an argument, becouse nowadays people dont have these possibilities which actually were on 60s and 70s. Now the demands are much higher than 40 years ago. Mike Oldfield now could not get a shot if he would be just beginner (or not such huge success), becouse there are many many many this kind of who make music, but back then it was very new. The timeperiod seems to count in this case, but also the place --  Those superstars which I saw and hear about them are still from the past and continuing, but those which are newcomers, are very short time on the stage if they are not from USA.
After this kind of internet time, everything changed and is cheaper and oh yeah, mp3 ! Now try that -- to get that retro contract and royalties how artists were living during 80s. Nope.
Also I would say as it was in Sonicstate or some documentary "before music dies" -- "its very important how you look and what happens on stage. Ray Charles wont get a shot -- he's blind!"

What I tried to say is that -- now it requires much higher skills than the anchestors had in the past if You want to replicate their success and yet You need opportunities, which we have less than in the past.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2012, 16:19

People there is a way around Universals copyright laws in the fair use act.  Found it.  You must find a way to acquire these tracks, on your own.  You must ONLY use it for your own listening pleasure.  Do NOT post these interpretations anywhere or give them out!  Otherwise you violate the fair use laws.  Enjoy!  So many wonderful interpretations.  Well done everyone!  Now if Universal decides to release a World-Wide available EP of the top six winners, then I will definitely purchase it!
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2012, 16:55

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 29 2012, 16:19)
People there is a way around Universals copyright laws in the fair use act.  Found it.  You must find a way to acquire these tracks, on your own.  You must ONLY use it for your own listening pleasure.  Do NOT post these interpretations anywhere or give them out!  Otherwise you violate the fair use laws.  Enjoy!  So many wonderful interpretations.  Well done everyone!  Now if Universal decides to release a World-Wide available EP of the top six winners, then I will definitely purchase it!

But keep in Your head that by buying it, You give Your money to Universal Music only. These people who made remixes get nothing. 0 dollars. Do You really see it as "Fair use act" towards remix makers too?

FOr this information read the contest terms too. Buying this album supports none of those remix makers.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2012, 18:52

Oh!  In that case, NO I won't buy it unless UM agrees to give atleast 10 to 15 percent of the profit to those, on the release, who worked hard to remix!  I don't like greedy record companies!
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2012, 10:33

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 29 2012, 18:52)
Oh!  In that case, NO I won't buy it unless UM agrees to give atleast 10 to 15 percent of the profit to those, on the release, who worked hard to remix!  I don't like greedy record companies!

go to indabamusic.com to that contest page and read the agreement terms: "...assign away any and all rights"

Also, ONLY the first position got 1000 USD, but have no rights at all to use it for own purpose, its property of Universal Music from now on. The "5 honorable mentions" got merchandise pack. Thats all, all others got nothing.
UM can release or whatever the remixes but none of the authors will get extra compensation. These were the terms.

And thats all. The Universal Music (UM) owns interest of ALL these remixes there. And  UM can do with those whatever, but not the artist , whatever hard or easy he worked!

No-one of the contest entrants may use his own mix even on soundcloudpage, not permitted to share or give a download link.

The simple way to explain -- you were just using that chance to post Your remix with these copyrighted material stems, but after the contest its no longer Yours and You cant use it since its property of UM.

UM dont make such contracts that they pay additional money if the remix album sells well, becouse this way they can keep the whole profit. Also they make such contract which takes away  all rights for ownership from remix maker, becouse what if that remix happens to be a way too good? :)
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2012, 22:22

Again, greed is what has continued to murder the music industry!  Not to mention all the terrible music they push in the top 40.  Of course, record companies like to misdirect and blame pirating, which we all know is the least of their problems.  I purposely didn't submit a remix as I don't give record companies sole control over anything I do!  Fair Use and Copyright run along a fine line.  And many companies, including my favorite, Apple, has received a backdraft of anger over their TOS!  Even Southpark made a point about it in The Human Centipad.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2012, 10:31

Cripes....If I really wanted to keep any remixes, I would have already downloaded them with no remorse, no discussion or debate. Y'all know me..........I like to procure stuph.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2012, 15:22

I so wish I could download the winning tracks... :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2012, 05:21

Then do it.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2012, 07:22

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Oct. 06 2012, 15:22)

???!? There was no winning tracks.  

All the "honorable 5 mentions" and grand prize winner was choosed from top10 which was based on Facebook votes which was promoted by the FB account owner himself.

Just record the tracks You like and browse all those 273 ones. You really find some really interesting gems which are more original than top10 tracks. None of my favourit tracks were not even in a top20.

And how to get those tracks there are really several opportunities to get them, just use Your fantasy and knowledge.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2012, 10:22

Quote (SyncEmotions @ Oct. 07 2012, 12:22)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Oct. 06 2012, 15:22)

???!? There was no winning tracks.  

All the "honorable 5 mentions" and grand prize winner was choosed from top10 which was based on Facebook votes which was promoted by the FB account owner himself.

Just record the tracks You like and browse all those 273 ones. You really find some really interesting gems which are more original than top10 tracks. None of my favourit tracks were not even in a top20.

And how to get those tracks there are really several opportunities to get them, just use Your fantasy and knowledge.

Huh?
Look, I wasn't attempting to start a discussion on the way the contest was run. I just made what I thought was a fairly innocuous comment.
Nevermind, as you were.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
58 replies since Aug. 23 2012, 23:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net