Chris Martin (Coldplay fame) 0  [0.00%]
Enya 2  [7.14%]
Roger Hodgson (Supertramp fame) 0  [0.00%]
Plácido Domingo (famous Spanish tenor) 1  [3.57%]
Ringo Starr 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocalists you'd hire for the upcoming album, From Maggie Reilly to Susan Boyle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2012, 17:25

It's well documented that Mike likes to treat a voice as an instrument. That's why he embraced the vocaloid thing.

So, while he may choose a known artist for promotion reasons, he's more likely to get a good session singer in. Much cheaper and much more willing to be told what to.

But given a magic wand my choices?

Kate Bush
Adele
The singer from Elbow
Paul Weller
Rizzle Kicks

Seriously I don't  care as long as view are better than Pepsi.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2012, 20:12

No doubt Mike will choose whoever fits the sound of the music he's written, and I think it's impossible to speculate meaningfully without knowing that.  I think his choice of Hayley Westenra for Music of the Spheres shows how aware he is of who's around.  He was able to see past all the record company stereotyping and see the potential of a great and undervalued singer in that case.

But having said that, discussions like this are still interesting as a general discussion.  I thought the suggestion of Judie Tzuke was a good one, for example.  An excellent singer who seems to be on the edges of things rather too much.  I'm sure Mike could write something she'd fit in with.  Ditto Elton John - I agree with the comments about his superb contribution to Kate Bush's Fifty Words for Snow.

There are some excellent little known singers around - which is ironic when you consider how bad most of the well-known ones are.  There are major names who make me cringe as they strain to reach notes they can't get.

Lauren Edman is a name that springs to mind as a little known excellent singer.  Beautiful voice, excellent technique, and very creative.  Her solo album It's Always The Quiet One came out earlier this year, and she's continuing to work with For Every Story Untold, who have an album due out soon.  Indie rock, or something like that (do we have the term `Shoegaze' in this country, or it it just an American piece of genre-naming silliness?), but she can sing anything, including folk and classical, even though she hasn't released anything in those styles.

Charlotte Church continues to be surprising.  Her new music is a universe away from what she became known for.  Some of her more recent songs are on YouTube (The Rise, How Not To Be Surprised When You're a Ghost, Beautiful Wreck and so on) and she has a four track EP called ONE out on Monday, which is excellent.  (The cover is priceless and makes Kate Bush look normal - it's a gatefold sleeve with a still from the filming of her How Not To Be Surprised video.)  Her voice is still excellent, despite some silly attempts to discredit her by people who decided they didn't really like her after all when she became herself more publicly.  She's developed a really nice deeper tone than she had before.  I don't know if she can still do the pure high tones as her current music doesn't work that way, but I wouldn't be surprised.  Her technique is far more finely controlled than it was in her earlier career.  (I've had the priviledge of watching at close quarters as well as listening.)  Mike could certainly get something really good from her with the right music.

Tori Amos could also be interesting.

And former ABBA singer Agnetha Falkskog has also sometimes been mentioned by Mike's fans. I think she'd be an excellent idea, too. Not easy to attract into doing something, but Mike could perhaps do it.

I agree entirely with the comments on vocoders and the overused autotune robotic effect, BTW.  Horrible.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 07:51

Sting could be interesting, though I'd be more than happy with an instrumental album.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 09:28

Kevin Ayers! Kevin Ayers! Kevin Ayers! Kevin Ayers for god's sake!!!

They both seem to waste their time hiding away in exotic places moaning about the state of the world. They should have a great time together. They could co-write short pop-rock songs and Kevin could do spoken word passages over the more ethereal sections. I'm dreaming up an album as I write this....   :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 17:23

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 04 2012, 15:28)
...and Kevin could do spoken word passages over the more ethereal sections.

Kevin Ayers can't sing, IMHO. Regarding him providing narration over Mike's music, it sounds nice to me. As long as it doesn't end up like Lulu, which is a great Lou Reed album (if you like Lou Reed) but a complete piece of shit (always IMHO) under all other points of view. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 22:02

An agree for Ugo :)

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 05:07

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 04 2012, 17:23)
Kevin Ayers can't sing, IMHO. Regarding him providing narration over Mike's music, it sounds nice to me. As long as it doesn't end up like Lulu, which is a great Lou Reed album (if you like Lou Reed) but a complete piece of shit (always IMHO) under all other points of view. :D

How dare you compare that hypothetical album to...Lulu? :O

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 08:43

@ lars: as I don't know what do you think of Lulu, do you mean that positively or negatively? Lulu is only good insofar as you like Lou Reed. Otherwise, as I said, it's shit. And I'm not comparing anything, I'm only saying that doing spoken word pieces (especially with Kevin Ayers' off-hand, melancholic delivery) over rock tracks somehow runs a risk of turning out like Lulu, or like William Shatner's Seeking Major Tom album, which is IMHO one of his worst efforts. (He did do some good stuff, tho'. :D)

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 10:43

You know I just read the word "Lulu" and felt shivers down my spine!  :p

"Lulu" is one hair-raising mismatch. It sounds like some sort of studio engineer mistake - discarded Metallica demos on track 1-2 and Lou's new stuff on track 7.

With "Lulu" Lou Reed shows the world that he doesn't have a clue about what his own unique qualities are. Lou Reed used to be living proof that rock music could be hard without being heavy metal. Then he hires....that band!  :(

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 10:48

Quote (Milamber @ Aug. 06 2012, 23:35)
I can't believe William Shatner isn't on the list  :laugh:

You can almost visualise him sitting on a stool in front of an audience...Smoke in his hand saying..

Discovery.....Who has...The chance to....Know it all   :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io

I'm sure whoever he ends up using will be great, I'm really more interested in any Instrumentals on the new album anyway.

I've been waiting in this frontier...
And it seems like a hundred years...
But I couldn't see past the gate...

... I COULDN'T SEE PAST THE HATE!!!!!!...

Then he starts smashing everything down, and when he finishes he sits down again, and really introspective and quiet, he starts:

The last time ever she saw him................

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 11:37

@ lars: that's what I was saying that I'm afraid of - putting Mike together with Kevin Ayers right now would risk sounding like a huge mismatch. It sounded awfully good back then, when they both were at their peak, but I really wonder whether the same heights could be reached now.

@ Delfín: what a vidid pictorial imagination you have - you made me actually visualize the scene!! :laugh: :D However I sincerely doubt that Shatner, at 81, would have the right PeteTownshend-ish attitude to get up on stage and smash everything up. (Even Pete Townshend himself doesn't have that sort of attitude any longer.) I still think that the best possible visualization of Shatner on a stage is what Milamber described above, embodied in his "Rocket Man" performance.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 12:25

Be nice having him throw away random Oldfildian phrases with his quiet attitude, such like:

...Shadow on the wall...
...Shadow on the wall...
...Shadow on the wall...
...like a shadow on the wall...
...happy?
...to the whole room her eyes are numb...
...yes I'm a toreador...
...take it away!!!...
...mandolin!...
                                    ...(echo) mandolin...
...I like beer and I like cheese...
...lost in static 18...
...shine, shine, she is my life...

and then he goes, holding a banner that says "F.O.R.B."...

--------------
Profile PM 
mart Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2012, 04:00

the only singer and composer who's gomes to my mind is Peter Gabriel
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2012, 05:06

Hmm I dunno myself. Imho the best would be some unknown singer but with beautiful voice. :) We've heard of those popular ones quite enough already.

To my mind comes Origa. She's got very nice voice.
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: April 20 2013, 20:45

Hmm, I'd like to add Fish as a male and Anneke Van Giersbergen as a female choice....for example.
;)

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Legend Offline

Posted: May 03 2013, 02:36

If not Peter Gabriel - I don´t think this is possible - then Ray Wilson ex-genesis too.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 03 2013, 13:46

Can't help but wonder how anyone could even associate Julio Iglesias or Susan Boyle with Mike Oldfield. Is this a list of all singers that are "huge" and still not "pop" or "rock"?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 09 2013, 11:34

Quote (larstangmark @ May 03 2013, 13:46)
Can't help but wonder how anyone could even associate Julio Iglesias or Susan Boyle with Mike Oldfield. Is this a list of all singers that are "huge" and still not "pop" or "rock"?

Mark E. Smith?  That's be a hilariously wrong collaboration.
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 10 2013, 14:04

Quote (Platinumpty @ May 09 2013, 11:34)
Mark E. Smith?  That's be a hilariously wrong collaboration.

:laugh:

That would be one disaster and a half. You can't hire Mark E Smith becaue he'll fire YOU! :p

Actually I think those two would get along quite well on a private level. They have much more in common than one would think at first glance. Thinking about career, private life, politics, attitude, personality...only Mike had his big break and doesn't have to play the clubs. :p

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 10 2013, 17:49

Once known as The Mighty Fall, but forever remembered as an Outcast. ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
62 replies since Aug. 06 2012, 12:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net