Chris Martin (Coldplay fame) 0  [0.00%]
Enya 2  [7.14%]
Roger Hodgson (Supertramp fame) 0  [0.00%]
Plácido Domingo (famous Spanish tenor) 1  [3.57%]
Ringo Starr 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocalists you'd hire for the upcoming album, From Maggie Reilly to Susan Boyle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 12:12

Hi!!! As we all have come to know, Mike is working on a new rock project, as he grew tired of "all these computers and samplers", and based on an accurate comment from Tati, saying that he should hire great names for the voices as it would boost the project around, I've made a selection of good voices we could choose as a suggestion for him.

My selection is based on popularity and my own likes, and I've introduced as well voices that have sounded in Mike's albums in the past. I've disregarded popular voices I don't like, like Lady Gaga ad so, but put in some others i don't particularly like, but seemed funny to fit in for the poll.

Would you prefer the delicate voice of a female singer like Enya, the friendly old Ringo Starr, or the gravely Scothy throat from Mark Knopfler (which could bring a good fellow guitar working as well...) :p  :O  :laugh:

So... you've got the last word!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 12:21

It's Aled Jones, not Johnson. I still vote for getting Mark Hollis out of retirement.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 12:27

:/  ...err i will not choose any of them because i've already gave a lot of names in another topic and now after reading it i'm realising that's useless because we just give names we would like to hear with Mike's music , it's purely unbiased and unrielizable and chimeric .

.. Let's be serious , Mike's doesn't care about all this :/
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 13:32

You have to make it possible to choose more than one vocalist!
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 14:44

I'd rather have Mike himself do the vocals. He was terrific on Heaven's Open.  :cool:

Some of these suggestions are crazy. Susan Boyle? Paul McCartney (groan)? Bono (double groan)? lol :laugh: :laugh:

Why Julio Iglesias? Why not his son Enrique instead - or as well?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 17:35

I can't believe William Shatner isn't on the list  :laugh:

You can almost visualise him sitting on a stool in front of an audience...Smoke in his hand saying..

Discovery.....Who has...The chance to....Know it all   :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io

I'm sure whoever he ends up using will be great, I'm really more interested in any Instrumentals on the new album anyway.
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 18:02

I would really hope for a mostly instrumental album (I don't rule that out just because it's "rock"), but i voted for the man himself to do the vocals if any. I think he is good.

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 18:05

Quote (Milamber @ Aug. 06 2012, 22:35)
I can't believe William Shatner isn't on the list  :laugh:

You can almost visualise him sitting on a stool in front of an audience...Smoke in his hand saying..

Discovery.....Who has...The chance to....Know it all   :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io

I'm sure whoever he ends up using will be great, I'm really more interested in any Instrumentals on the new album anyway.

Shatner FTW!!!
That would be hilarious :laugh: :laugh:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 12:31

How about some real rock vocalists like Paul Rodgers or Robert Plant?

More mellow rock tracks could feature Jon Anderson who has worked with Mike before.

Female singers like Judie Tzuke or Julianne Regan (All About Eve) would also sound good on an Oldfield track.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 19:10

@ Delfín: hey, guy, you surprise me!! José Carreras is SPANISH llike yourself, not Italian!!! :D Anyway, what a pity you didn't put an option for "None of the above", because that's what I'd have chosen. The people you chose are too famous by themselves. If Mark Knopfler or Sting or even Robert Plant sang a Mike Oldfield song, it would sound like a Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits song or a Sting/Police song or a Robert Plant/Led Zep song, not like a M.O. song. Like Alan Parsons' songs - which sound great because the people who sing lead vocals on them, apart from John "Music" Miles, are all musical John Does (even Eric Woolfson himself was a musical John Doe, have you ever heard him singing elsewhere?) - Mike Oldfield's previous songs work splendidly because the lead vocalists are relatively unknown, and the only time ever he collaborated with a famous vocalist he produced a song ("Islands") which is usually dismissed by the vast majority of board members here (not by me, tho' :p) as pure crap. So yes, a newcomer with a great voice would be the best choice for me. And if he can't find any good-voiced newcomers, if I were him I'd let Vocaloid handle the job again. :D

By the way, Aled Jones by now is a baritone who sings mostly (if not only) sacred and religious stuff. And Mike himself can't sing rock stuff. :laugh:

@ Cam: great suggestion about Shatner, he could recite some extravagant Oldfield lyrics in his own unique way. :) Also, I think Mike O. should maybe make a 2-disc rock album: one disc fully instrumental, the other fully vocal, but with fewer tracks than the instrumental disc.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 23:14

Mike should just do the vocals himself. And I don't agree that he couldn't sing rock. His vocals on Five Miles Out for example are awesome in the "prisoner of the dark sky" bit! Who knows though if he can sing like that now, or even if he can sing like he did on Heaven's Open (which I like his vocals on as well).

I just don't want this album to turn into some cheesy nostalgia-fest with a bunch of has-been guest singers. It needs to be a MIKE OLDFIELD album. People with too big of a name will take away from that.

And in contradiction to what Mike said, I don't think this will be his first rock album...especially dealing with subjects like domestic abuse, etc. Has he forgotten about "Discovery"? Maybe he really intends it to be like a HEAVY album, which would be interesting to hear his take on as well.
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 03:36

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 07 2012, 19:10)
@ Delfín: hey, guy, you surprise me!! José Carreras is SPANISH llike yourself, not Italian!!! :D Anyway, what a pity you didn't put an option for "None of the above", because that's what I'd have chosen. The peope you chose are too famous by themselves. If Mark Knopfler or Sting or even Robert Plant sang a Mike Oldfield song, it would sound like a Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits song or a Sting/Police song or a Robert Plant/Led Zep song, not like a M.O. song. Like Alan Parsons' songs - which sound great because the people who sing lead vocals on them, apart from John "Music" Miles, are all musical John Does (even Eric Woolfson himself was a musical John Doe, have you ever heard him singing elsewhere?) - Mike Oldfield's previous songs work splendidly because the lead vocalists are relatively unknown, and the only time ever he collaborated with a famous vocalist he produced a song ("Islands") which is usually dismissed by the vast majority of board members here (not by me, tho' :p) as pure crap. So yes, a newcomer with a great voice would be the best choice for me. And if he can't find any good-voiced newcomers, if I were him I'd let Vocaloid handle the job again. :D

By the way, Aled Jones by now is a baritone who sings mostly (if not only) sacred and religious stuff. And Mike himself can't sing rock stuff. :laugh:

@ Cam: great suggestion about Shatner, he could recite some extravagant Oldfield lyrics in his own unique way. :) Also, I think Mike O. should maybe make a 2-disc rock album: one disc fully instrumental, the other fully vocal, but with fewer tracks than the instrumental disc.

That about Sums it up... No Old Has Beens please...   Someone under the radar or Talented   Session Singer ...     :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 05:11

Quote (kazav @ Aug. 06 2012, 18:21)
It's Aled Jones, not Johnson. I still vote for getting Mark Hollis out of retirement.

Thank you!!! Sorry about that.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 05:40

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 08 2012, 01:10)
@ Delfín: hey, guy, you surprise me!! José Carreras is SPANISH llike yourself, not Italian!!!

What a mistake!!! Yes, indeed you are right. I think I was trying to say the name of a very famous Italian tenor. I think it was Pavarotti I was wanting to quote. Thanks for the commentary.

About the none of the above option, you must be right. Anyway, as lots of you all know me I have a very personal style of posting and most of my sharings have a tongue-in-cheek factor although Mike's music is an important part of my life.

I bet you all must be right also about the proposed vocalists being too famous, but anyway it didn't get to more than a fun guessing exercise. Imagining Julio Iglesias, Susan Boyle or Ringo Starr performing vocals of one of Mike's new songs seems to me like something no short of hilarious.

I'd like as well to be able of adding more options, but you can state them in your commentaries anyway.

By the way!!! I hadn't marked my option. It will be: Christopher Cross. Grandious voice that one, suitable for an album project.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 06:35

Quote (Delfín @ Aug. 08 2012, 11:40)
By the way!!! I hadn't marked my option. It will be: Christopher Cross. Grandious voice that one, suitable for an album project.

It's been a long time since I last heard Christopher Cross singing (was it in one of those Eighties nostalgia TV shows? :D) but I remember him being a "softie". His voice is not suitable for rock, IMHO - rock needs someone with an "edge".

Also, I never said that Mike couldn't sing rock. I said he can't. His latest singing effort ("Shiva") is rather low-key, isn't it? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 07:44

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 08 2012, 11:35)
Also, I never said that Mike couldn't sing rock. I said he can't. His latest singing effort ("Shiva") is rather low-key, isn't it? :D

Shiva is much more like On Horseback than anything from Heaven's Open to me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 08:06

I'd second Robert Plant and would throw the following into the mix too:

Dave Grohl (hey, why not ask Plant and Grohl's buddy John Paul Jones to co-produce/arrange?)

PJ Harvey

Nick Cave

Nick Harper (son of Roy, great voice)

And I'd also like to say to those scathing of Elton John.... have you heard his guest turn on Kate Bush's last album - Snowed in at Wheeler Street has go to be one of his greatest vocal performances... check it out (I can't provide a link - Youtube is banned at work
:(
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 18:22

@ BornInTheUK: Nick Cave's voice is great but too deep, and thus, IMHO, not very good for rock...

@ Tati: that's exactly what I was saying. If Mike made a song in the style of "On Horseback", he would be great. But isn't he about to make a rock album? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 18:45

I think Tati meant that "Shiva" doesn't really tell us whether or not Mike can still sing rock. If we assumed that, people could also have assumed that Mike would never have been able to sing "Heaven's Open" after hearing "On horseback" which obviously was not the case.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 19:08

Quote (GusFogle @ Aug. 09 2012, 00:45)
I think Tati meant that "Shiva" doesn't really tell us whether or not Mike can still sing rock. If we assumed that, people could also have assumed that Mike would never have been able to sing "Heaven's Open" after hearing "On horseback" which obviously was not the case.

Ah. OK. ;) Well, but then people who first heard and became fans of Mike after hearing him sing with the Sallyangie (yes, there were not many, but there were! :D), would probably have thought that it was OK for him to sing a folk-tinged song as his first real lead vocal performance. So, when Mike just exploded on "Five Miles Out" and, of course, on the Heaven's Open album I think that most early fans of him were not too surprised about it. After all he did the Caveman on TB [OK, it was processed, but it was still his voice!] two years before he did "On Horseback", so I guess there were just as many people who were genuinely taken aback by Mike's voice on Heaven's Open, as there where people who weren't surprised at all, but saw that album as a natural developement of Mike as a singer. [I'm not sure if I have expressed myself clearly.] Having said that, I think there still are a lot of people out there who think that Mike can't sing at all, that he never was a good singer and that he should stick to instrumentals. :D There sure is a good reason why he chose artificial vocalists on the Light and Shade album, isn't there? :cool: From my very first listen to that album, I had the impression that Mike got to the point of hating his own singing voice, but then I knew for sure that was not the case, as the low voice in "Surfing" is his. So maybe we can expect at least one more boom from Mike's (tired? aged?) vocal cords in the new album.

--------------
Profile PM 
62 replies since Aug. 06 2012, 12:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net